News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Re:Tiger to design in NC
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 05:19:31 PM »
Lester - Did your routing plan remain intact through all that, or are there some differences in the final course?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 05:19:50 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Andy Hughes

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 09:19:26 AM »
Michael, I assume you've played Glassy. What's your opinion of the course?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Lester George

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
Michael,

I have never compared, but I am positive, due to the nature of the site, that many of the same areas were used.  Rick Robbins implied that he had made changes and that his course was already staked and ready to go.  I would think many of his holes survivied, but I'm nor sure if any of mine did.  

My Master Plan was done for the Ellistons who owned the land.  

Lester

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »
Michael, I assume you've played Glassy. What's your opinion of the course?

Glassy is a unique course. It was built on a difficult piece of mountain property and, therefore, must traverse some terrain that would not be considered "traditional" golfing ground. Having said that, I agree that it has a number of fun and interesting holes... but, it also has some holes that are too untraditional for my taste. Glassy is like a great thrill ride: it goes up and down, and twists this way and that, and then comes to sudden stops. I agree all of the greens are very interesting and challenging. The vistas are amazing and the course is definitely one of the most beautiful. It is a course that everyone should play at least once for the views alone... it's not often that you see airplanes flying BELOW you when you play golf! After that, the challenge of mountain golf will either turn you on or turn you off. I know several golfers who would play Glassy every week if they could, while for others once is enough... it's not unlike the reaction Tobacco Road elicits.

The Cliffs is such a fine run organization and their courses are so well maintained that it is hard not to have a good time on any of them. Glassy is a marvel of modern engineering and should enjoyed as such. It is not, and never will be, a "classic" golf course. If a golfer has an open mind and can enjoy something different he will probably enjoy Glassy. If not, he should stay far far away.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back