News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The next door neighbour's Party
« on: July 26, 2007, 05:53:25 PM »
So your delightful next-door neighbour throws his biggest party of the year. A party he's been throwing for years and years and years. Why, it's one of the oldest parties in town. He even offers nice presents, especially to those people who stay to the end. This is a four day party-fest of the finest kind. He hosts the event in such a lovely garden too. People come from all over the world, but oddly you can't really be bothered. Okay, a few chums turn up. Mostly out of misplaced loyalty or the thought of maybe getting a nice present. But, despite it all, you can't really be bothered.
What's up? All partied out? Too much foie gras already this year? That foreign food not to your liking? And as for their beer?
Oh well.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe Hancock

Re:The next door neighbour's Party
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
RSVP,

I'll try to make it, but Redanman sends his regards......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Michael Moore

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »
Martin -

Is this tortured analogy a reference to Woody Austin skipping the Open Championship?

He said that he was exhausted and that he did not really know how to play golf on a links course.

What's so odd about that?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:15:15 PM »
There's not enough Moosehead in Canada for some of the guys to show up. ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:50:20 PM »
Michael,

How were you able to decipher this so quickly? I am amazed at your antennae.

Bob

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:58:36 PM »
Watson won the first time he played the Open Championship, I believe.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:47 PM »
It is beyond me why the tour treats the great tournaments like crap .I dont even know the name of this thing at Firestone and fed ex cup mentions during serious tournaments nauseates me.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 10:33:21 PM »
I've been reading, and enjoying, Martin's posts for months now. He is the king of the tortured and nearly indecipherable analogy. How he manages to pull them off with such aplomb is beyond me. If he designed courses, they'd be ALL quirk - but he'd still have golfers lining up to pay a fortune to play them. I'd bet his quixotic ways would work very well in the screwy, made-up world of high finance. If his picture didn't strike me as that of a full-grown man, I'd think him an elf, or some such thing.

Woody Austin, on the other hand, is not an elf. God bless him, I'm a big fan of Woody's, but aplomb isn’t his style. He seems like a fine golfer and good man, one who'd never hurt anyone but himself. But he's probably right in thinking the quirky, quixotic, and tortured analogy that is links golf beyond him.

Peter

This post is nearly worthless, of course, except as a chance to compliment Martin on his always enjoyable posts. I'm not even sure he's talking about Woody Austin. The joke, then, would be on me. I'm also NOT an elf.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:41:13 PM by Peter Pallotta »

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:28 AM »
Martin -

Don't you run this post every year? There will always be some U.S. tour pro eligible to play in The Open who just does not want to make the trip over to the UK for event. Some will have legitimate reasons, others are just lazy and small-minded.

This year it was Woody Austin. In past years, it was Scott Hoch and Curtis Strange. Did Bruce Lietzke every play in The Open? Who knows? Who cares?  ;)

With it taking currently taking $2.05 U.S. to buy 1 British pound, I am not sure I can blame any U.S. pro for staying close to home.  (and I am the guy who makes 2 trips a year to Scotland!)

I should also add that flying from the U.S. to Scotland thru Heathrow is no picnic these days. I think I read that the golf club bags of  9 U.S. pros flying thru Heathrow to Scotland got lost for at least a day while transferring planes there.    

DT

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:31:57 AM by David_Tepper »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 01:01:34 AM »
Peter, Martin also writes the most offbeat headlines for his threads, which he also pulls off.  The heart of a novelist or poet beats inside him.  

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 07:45:57 AM »
For some reason, I thought this thread was about the Canadian Open. ;D

In any event, Boo Weekley showed up at Carnoustie. What more do you want, Martin?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 01:42:18 PM »
This thread IS actually about the Canadian Open. Watching last night I was surprised by the non-appearance of the more, ahem, well-known PGA poodles. What's up with them?

Wacky-looking rough too! Carnoustie '99 looks positively bikini-waxed...

Certainly not about the Woody. Those shirts are just way too hot.

The BBC interviewed Boo and KJ. I'm not sure which one was more unintelligible. They were both a hoot. The fragrant Hazel asks Boo: "So, Boo, I assume you grew up knowing about the Open and golf in Scotland."
Boo:"No ma'am, fit ain' hunin, shooin oar fishn i ain ineresed."

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 01:52:12 PM »
Martin -

Don't you run this post every year? There will always be some U.S. tour pro eligible to play in The Open who just does not want to make the trip over to the UK for event. Some will have legitimate reasons, others are just lazy and small-minded.

This year it was Woody Austin. In past years, it was Scott Hoch and Curtis Strange. Did Bruce Lietzke every play in The Open? Who knows? Who cares?  ;)

With it taking currently taking $2.05 U.S. to buy 1 British pound, I am not sure I can blame any U.S. pro for staying close to home.  (and I am the guy who makes 2 trips a year to Scotland!)

I should also add that flying from the U.S. to Scotland thru Heathrow is no picnic these days. I think I read that the golf club bags of  9 U.S. pros flying thru Heathrow to Scotland got lost for at least a day while transferring planes there.    

DT

Curtis Strange once said he used to skip the British because everyone said he "had" to play in it...he also admitted he regretted later skipping it
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 04:05:54 PM »
Martin -

Sorry I misread the intent of your original post.

As discussed on the "DLIII, Angus Glen" thread, the Canadian Open has had a number of problems over the past decade or so and has really lost its luster as a feature event (which is was 20-30 years ago) on the PGA Tour.

I think being bounced around on the PGA Tour schedule and not having a dedicated sponsor are the 2 biggest problems. I don't think it is a case of American players being afraid or reluctant to cross the border.

P. Thomas -

As I noted on Martin's other thread, it is nice to see Scott Hoch on the British Senior Open . He was another guy who was very reluctant to travel to the UK to play in The Open.

DT    

Kalen Braley

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 04:09:07 PM »
I don't think its just the Canadian Open having this type of problem though.  The Western Open comes to mind as a tourney that is not what it once was.

The At&T at Pebble Beach also has a lot of history and at times is poorly attended by the big names...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 04:17:42 PM »
Boo:"No ma'am, fit ain' hunin, shooin oar fishn i ain ineresed."

Aye Marty, mah complimints ta' yer facultees ta' pick up onna local lingo.  Eye wish eye culd write so wail inna forgn tunge...

Ye shuld werk in ta' ewe in as a' intearpriture.  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »
Kalen -

You are absolutely right. I think the rise over the past 10-15 years of the Players (as the 5th most important tournament, major or not), the 3 world golf events, the Presidents Cup and the increased stature of the Ryder Cup have all shifted focus away from a number of tournaments with longer histories.

That is progress, of a sort.

DT  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »
Kalen -

You are absolutely right. I think the rise over the past 10-15 years of the Players (as the 5th most important tournament, major or not), the 3 world golf events, the Presidents Cup and the increased stature of the Ryder Cup have all shifted focus away from a number of tournaments with longer histories.

That is progress, of a sort.

DT  

Agreed,

Curtis Strange mentioned this years ago after the advent of the new world golf championships that added 4 tournmanents to an already full schedule.  It really has created A list and B list tournaments.  

And while the majors and the bigger tournies like the Memorial and Arnies tournament still remain big, its come at the expense of tournaments as mentioned above.  Throw in the fact that there are 8 tournaments directly before and after a major that players may or may not want to play in and the net effect is, its taken its toll on some really big events.

Perhaps they really do need to adopt the LPGA rule where a player must play every tourney at least once every 3 or 4 years???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back