News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Carnoustie #4 - A Clunker?
« on: July 26, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
This is an ok hole, sort of non-descript.  

POSITIVES: 1) The amount of turn to the right and this is especially the case from the back tees. 2) I like how the green tucks into the dune ridge on the left.

NEGATIVES: 1) The front left of the green is very reminiscent of the 2nd.  2) Fairway too narrow.

VERDICT: Not much happening, but every course has holes like this - its almost unavoidable

SUGGESTIONS: Some have suggested radical overhauls for a previous hole, but I reckon this hole could go under the knife.  I can't help thinking the dune ridge could be better used, but this is a shared green so extra care must be taken.  This is a hole for the experts to figure how to make better!  In any case, the fairway could stand to be significantly wider.  

#4 412 yards

TOTAL BUNKERS FILLED IN: 3

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:56:43 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

George Pazin

Re:Carnoustie #4 - A Clunker?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:39:53 PM »
Nothing much to say. I like the way the two right side fairway bunkers are in line with the green from the tee.

More width would always be nice.

Can't say that I like the wave-like mowing pattern of the fairway, but it probably isn't noticeable from the golfer's perspective.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
Nothing much to say. I like the way the two right side fairway bunkers are in line with the green from the tee.

George I'm not sure I get you.  MAybe it looks like a narrow triangle of bunkers off the tee.

If the championship tee is bottom right of the picture then I love the way the first two fairway bunkers appear almost in line.  When ever I see this on a dogleg it scares the s+++ out of me because it makes the fairway look so damn small.  I know of one course where the far side is slightly lower and so they look to be almost toutching despite the fairway being at it's widest there. Might not fool the pro's but I've never come close to hitting the  ground in the centre of the two. An underused bit of trickery IMO.
Let's make GCA grate again!

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »
Tony, I was looking from what I assume is the normal every day tee, the one just beyond the 3rd green. The bunkers wouldn't actually be in a line, but if you stood and looked to the flag, all you'd presumably see would be rough and bunkers, and I thought that sounded kind of cool.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back