News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

Philadelphia Golf Magazine ceases operations
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:32:12 PM »
This is a bummer...

The Philadelphia Golf Magazine publisher has decided to cease operations, effective immediately, therefore, ending its five-year relationship with the Golf Association of Philadelphia.  The final issue of the Philadelphia Golf Magazine was distributed in late June/early July.

All members of the Association will continue to receive timely information on the organization and its matters through a variety of outlets, directly from GAP.

The Association has created a high-end newsletter that will be distributed to each club and delivered directly to each individual’s email. In addition, all members can make certain to sign up for the Golf Association of Philadelphia’s monthly email, Greenside with GAP, and its tournament results list, GAPNet. That can be done through the My GAP Locker section of the GAP Web site, www.gapgolf.org.

We appreciate all that the Philadelphia Golf Magazine has contributed to the Golf Association of Philadelphia in its five years.

Willie_Dow

Re:Philadelphia Golf Magazine ceases operations
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 05:32:08 PM »
Sorry to hear this is happening, even though my subscription ran out when I started finding my time in Philly was split into thirds.

It follows the loss of the USGA Journal, which I miss reading, but with GCA capturing so much of one's day of golf on the web, I can understand why.

Let's not let the government via Sens. Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn, and Thomas Carper, D-Del allow future taxation of Internet services via their new temporary Internet tax moratorium bill that ostensibly closes tax loopholes.  (See Jack Kemp and Cesar Conda article in IBD Issues & Insights today)

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 05:52:50 PM »
That is sad news.  The publication was exceptional, highlighting a different club each month as well as all the tournament action in the district.  I guess some of the multiple glossies that have cropped up ate into the advertising dollars.  What a shame.  I hope the GAP newsletter will continue the excellence established by Philadelphia Golf Magazine.

John_Cullum

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 06:09:42 PM »
Tell your friends at GAP that they have some sort of bug in their website. Everytime I try to maneuver from the homepage it kicks off my browser
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »
I can't believe Philadelphia Golf dies while Philadelphia Golf Styles lives.  It's like comparing actual cinema to Animal House.

Thank goodness for Golfweek.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 06:29:42 AM »
"Tell your friends at GAP that they have some sort of bug in their website. Everytime I try to maneuver from the homepage it kicks off my browser."

JohnC:

The Executive Director of GAP looks in on this website from time to time and I'm sure he will see this thread and your post.

Initially the idea was that access via the magazine to the GAP membership would be valuable enough to advertizers to basically carry the magazine but nothing can run at a loss for too long.

I'm sorry to see PGM go. The Editor in Chief Fred Behringer is a good guy and a good friend.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 05:31:59 PM »

Initially the idea was that access via the magazine to the GAP membership would be valuable enough to advertizers to basically carry the magazine but nothing can run at a loss for too long.

I'm sorry to see PGM go. The Editor in Chief Fred Behringer is a good guy and a good friend.

Do you think there's a market for this magazine in the GAP area, if done more like the Met's or Washington Golf Monthly?  It's been a while since I've seen those pubs, being on the West Coast for the past decade, but I remember those being a slightly better class.

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
Wayne:

I guess not. GAP and the publisher tried to make a go of it and it just didn't fly long-term. I don't know what else could've been done. The guy who put the pieces together in the beginning was Craig Ammerman who was the president of GAP then and he went on to the board of the USGA. Craig is very good at that kind of thing as his background and career is in publishing.

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 07:31:35 PM »
I just noticed that it says 3.99 at the top left corner, yet everyone gets it mailed to them for free. Why don't they just charge us for subscription like a normal magazine?

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »
Because it was basically a GAP member club "club-drop" and a mass-mailer magazine not a subscription.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back