News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Montecito CC-What was lost?
« on: June 25, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
Does anyone know how much the this course was altered when HWY 101 came through? I played with a former member over the weekend and he said the HWY didn't change it all that much, which I know can't be true. Maybe Tommy N or someone else has the original routing? Thanks.

Funny side note. This former member was convinced that Max Behr, Montecito's original arch. was also a boxer. I had to work pretty darn hard to convince him otheriwse! I told him he was thinking of Max Baer, the fighter from Germany. He said alot of the members thought like he did! This was a first. At least he won't be confusing the architect that's redoing Montecito with a certain Academy Award winner! (I hope)  ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill_McBride

Re:Montecito CC-What was lost?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »
David - LOL: Jack Nicklaus = Jack Nicholson?   ;D

Max Behr's routing at Montecito was pretty ingenious just to allow players to finish their rounds without all the golf balls winding up down by the freeway!  That is one awkward sidehill golf site.

There is actually a pretty good distance between US 101 and the golf course; there's a sizeable frontage road through there.  I think there was always a highway through there as you can see down where 101 goes through town and all the motels are clustered between the highway and the beach.

So I figure Montecito was always in its current location and boundaries.  Could be wrong though!

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 01:11:43 PM »
Well, I could be wrong Bill. Thanks for the info. I always assumed that 101 caused the changes at Montecito, because I had always heard that the course now has virtually none of Behr left in it. Maybe I heard wrong. I so, I'll have to apologize to that member for stating otherwise.

Yes, it was Nicklaus/Nicholson reference.  ;D

I guess the Golden Bear (or is Behr  ;)) will be redoing the course soon.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:03:49 PM »
David,

Max Baer was an Amurrican, with the nick-name of the 'Livermore Larupper' and you don't get any more Amurrican than that. He lost the World Heavyweight Title to Jim Braddock and it was all there in the movie 'The Cinderella Man.'

I think you had him confused with Max Schmelling, who once defeated Joe Louis but got knocked to Kingdom Come in their return fight.

Bob

Tom Yost

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
When I hear the name Max Baer, I think of Jr., aka Jethro Bodine.  Didn't know he designed golf courses.

::)

Tom

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »
Yeah, but Max Baer also beat Schmelling, and Hitler couldn't stand it because Max Baer was part Jewish.  Baer also beat the big boy from Italy, Primo Carnera, for the title, and Two-Ton Tony Galento from Joisie.  Baer's son, was Jethro on the Beverly Hillbillys.  None of the above, to my knowledge was involved in GCA.   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »
David,

Max Baer was an Amurrican, with the nick-name of the 'Livermore Larupper' and you don't get any more Amurrican than that. He lost the World Heavyweight Title to Jim Braddock and it was all there in the movie 'The Cinderella Man.'

I think you had him confused with Max Schmelling, who once defeated Joe Louis but got knocked to Kingdom Come in their return fight.

Bob

Thanks for setting me straight Bob. I did have them (Schmelling and Baer) confused on country of origin. I knew Schmelling was from Germany, but I guess Baer was from Jewish-German descent. In either case, they both probably didn't even know what a course architect was.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back