News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Black Sheep ( Esler)... chicagoland
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »
Has anyone played this  modern course. How  does it compare to other couses as   Skokie,  Butler, Medinah or  Chicago  golf club. Im not familiar  mr. Eslers work but  a friend mentioned  to me that Black sheep has a stark prairie sensiblit. thanks !

Jim Colton

Re:Black Sheep ( Esler)... chicagoland
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:05:19 PM »
I live about 30 minutes from Black Sheep, but haven't played it.  My good friend caddies out there part time.  I've heard good things about the course.  All about the golf, simple amentities.  From the aerial, it looks to have a huge squarish double green to close two of the nines, maybe it also serves as the putting green, a la Oakmont.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:06:03 PM by Jim Colton »

john_stiles

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 11:14:09 PM »
You should play if you have the opportunity.

The course has much a prairie view, interesting bunkering, challenging greens with broad contours.   27 holes.  Many of the greens transition seemlessly into the fairway. Played firm and fast during my one and only visit. Agree that it is all about golf.

Visit their website for photos.

Imagine it is still men only.

Cannot compare, with no play on your list of courses. I would definitely play again if ever the opportunity arose.

Maybe Paul R, or Jeff G, or other Chicagoans or Illini will reply.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:52:58 AM »
good, but a lot more aerial than pics. indicate

Tom Renli

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »
Esler did the work at Ravisloe, a Ross course on the South side.  I was pleasantly surprised with that course.  His nephew plays for U of AZ.  Cheers, Tom

Zack Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
a true treat, one of my favs.  I got to play it a few falls ago and its simply a great track.  Men only just golf.  A great place to spend a day or two.  Pretty cool on course accomodations as well.  Very few members about 50 i believe when I played it.
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back