News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Jordan Wall

US Open Courses
« on: June 20, 2007, 12:50:25 PM »
Are US Open course beginning to go more toward the public side?

With the possible addition of Erin Hills and Chambers Bay, plus Bethpage, Torrey Pines, and Pebble, and even perhaps Whistling Straits (?) it seems as though more Open course are veering toward the public side.

I don't know if this is good or bad, its more of an observation I guess, but what are opinions of such a big Championship going to public courses versus private courses?

John Kavanaugh

Re:US Open Courses
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:53:03 PM »
I am super pumped to see it going to TPS next year.  I look forward to Erin Hills in the future.  It is a very good thing.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »
Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits?  I know how much Mike Davis and the USGA brass love Erin Hills, but lets give it a couple of years before we start talking about a potential open there.  Chambers Bay hasen't even opened yet and all we really know about the course is its on the water.  I won't bother with the Straits course although I'd think it would be a cold day in hell before the USGA goes there for the open (and yes I know where the senior open is this year).  Pinehurst, Pebble and Bethpage black are all Open worthy venues, the fact that they are public has very little to do with it.  Torrey isn't IMO nearly as good as any of those courses.  But the sun of San Diego was hard for them to resist.  We needed another West coast venue, and Bandon just isn't ready yet, so I guess Torrey got it by default.  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:40:08 PM »
Joe, Bandon obviously can't host anything but maybe a SWWOG.  No local infra-structure to support the event.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:51:14 PM »
Erin Hills, Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits?  I know how much Mike Davis and the USGA brass love Erin Hills, but lets give it a couple of years before we start talking about a potential open there.  Chambers Bay hasen't even opened yet and all we really know about the course is its on the water.  I won't bother with the Straits course although I'd think it would be a cold day in hell before the USGA goes there for the open (and yes I know where the senior open is this year).  Pinehurst, Pebble and Bethpage black are all Open worthy venues, the fact that they are public has very little to do with it.  Torrey isn't IMO nearly as good as any of those courses.  But the sun of San Diego was hard for them to resist.  We needed another West coast venue, and Bandon just isn't ready yet, so I guess Torrey got it by default.  

Joe:

Bethpage being public, and particularly a government-owned and operated public, had a lot to do with it getting a US Open. That it held its own against top players (set-up complaints notwithstanding) is all the more reason the folks there and the USGA deserves credit for taking a risk to host it there. And WStraits undoubtedly would have been awarded a US Open by now if owner Herb Kohler hadn't jumped at the PGA's offer of two majors and a Ryder Cup to be hosted there.

I agree about TPines being something of a West Coast default option for the USGA. I'm doubtful Bandon will ever host a men's US Open, for infrastructure reasons alone. Chambers Bay sounds more intriguing.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:13:17 PM »
The Mid-Am is coming to Kiawah in 2009 (Cassique and The River Course).  I'm sure we'll entertain the USGA people on The Ocean Course to point out how well the PGA Championship will turn out when int comes in 2012 (wink, wink!) :-X
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:45:23 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »
Has Chambers Bay really been mentioned as a potential US Open site?
Mr Hurricane

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »
We'll see about Chambers Bay---AFTER IT OPENS ON SATURDAY!! :o :o :o

It is probably only the 100th or so public course opened in the past few years onto which that claim or hope has been unfairly attached.

I'm sure someone thought Tobacco Road or Cuscowilla were deserving of US Open consideration back before they were opened, too.

I'm sure at least one poster here thinks that the Plantation Course could hold an Open, too!! ;) ;)  Hey, maybe Bandon Trails can host an Open...

Hope springs eternal!  but maybe we wait until it's been open a few weeks  ;D ;D ;D at least, before declaring it US Open-worthy...

John Nixon

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 02:41:20 PM »
Chambers Bay and Erin Hills can just get in line behind Purgatory.   ;)

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 02:48:36 PM »
John,

I'm going out there this evening.  As for a place for the corporate tents, I think the flea market just down the road should be more than adequate.  Course wise, I do think Purgatory could hold its own from the back.

I'll take some pics and post them.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:49:51 PM by Chris_Clouser »

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 03:32:05 PM »
"I am super pumped to see it going to TPS next year.  I look forward to Erin Hills in the future.  It is a very good thing."

John,

Why are you so pumped and why is it a very good thing?  Public for the sake of public or because they are excellent venues for the US Open?  Or perhaps for other reasons altogether.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
Will the Buick be held at TPS next year even though the Open is being played there later in the year.  I just don't like seeing a regular tour venue being used for a major.  Even in the case of Pebble I keep thinking of Danny Ganz.  Part of the the anticipation of a major is seeing a course after it's been out of the limelight for a while.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 04:53:07 PM »
Could NGLA hold a US Open?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »
"I am super pumped to see it going to TPS next year.  I look forward to Erin Hills in the future.  It is a very good thing."

John,

Why are you so pumped and why is it a very good thing?  Public for the sake of public or because they are excellent venues for the US Open?  Or perhaps for other reasons altogether.

I have never played Bethpage and don't consider it easily accessable.  Pinehurst, etc are too expensive.  I see TPS as a truly public course that will give thousands of everyday golfers a chance to play or have played a US Open venue.  I'm just not a golf fan so I could care less about viewing professionals play either this course or that.  With the set ups each course looks the same anyway.

btw.  I also think it is a fantastic championship venue and am sure every golf fan in the county will be as pumped as me next Father's day afternoon.  I think 12 will be like the 17th at Oakmont...except not at all.  I do hope they move up the tees on two and it becomes driveable and I really look forward to the new tee on 13...I doubt the pros will want to lay up to a blind approach...Oh yea..I also love kik to death.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
Jordan, One view is that by playing at public venues the USGA is deflecting the stigma of being a bunch of old boys networks.

If that is the case they have a done a great job.

Coporate image by definition is false.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jordan Wall

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »
Jordan, One view is that by playing at public venues the USGA is deflecting the stigma of being a bunch of old boys networks.

If that is the case they have a done a great job.

Whatever the case, I like the idea of Opens being split between public and private venues.
As you mention, the USGA wont have to choose a bunch of older, private courses (by old boys I'm assuming you mean old money type member courses), and I think that presents some viable other options on the public side of things, like the courses mentioned.  

I think that, if Erin Hills is as good as people say, then the idea of switching between older venues like Shinnecock and Oakmont to newer courses like perhaps Chambers and Erin Hills would be a good thing, if anything for variety.  I like the idea of having older and newer courses used.  As we saw, the PGA which was held at Whistlinbg Straits was a big success and provided an equally good tournament as Baltusrol, which is one of the older courses.  The variety is a definite plus, imo.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »

John,

I have never played Bethpage and don't consider it easily accessable.  Pinehurst, etc are too expensive.  

John,

Even TPS suffers from this same fate.  I think its over $150 to play it and almost as difficult to get on as BB.  When I was down there a couple of months ago I checked into it and unless you are a county resident, you have to jump thru some hoops just to get on....

I hope I'm wrong on this, but don't count me as one who will be glued to the set next year for the open.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 05:36:02 PM »
John, about Bethpage you stated that "I have never played Bethpage and don't consider it easily accessable."

If you've never been there, how can you make that statement? Bethpage State Park may be among the MOST accesible of any golf courses with 2 major highways (Bethpage State Parkway and Seaford-Oyster Bay parkway) running into and next to the site. Add two train stations less than a mile away, more than half a dozen major thoroughfares ranging from the Long Island Expressway to Jericho Turnpike and others running east-to-west makes the ability to get to Bethpage one of veritable ease even at times of peak traffic.

The 2002 Open had more attend than any other venue ever and traffic was NEVER a problem.

Do you mean "accessable" in any other way? If not then you really missed this boat...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 05:50:07 PM »
Phillip,

I meant accessable in reference to getting a tee time.  Which course do you believe has hosted the most culturally and economically diverse players?  I give you that the road infrastructure at Bethpage wins...I do believe that Bethpage was the greatest choice for a US Open site in my lifetime.  I think the execution could have been better which may knock it down to the second best Open ever after TPS.  Without question they will be 1 and 2 either way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:03:38 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »
Jordan,

To answer your questions with facts instead of the speculation that is a lot of what you got, yes the US Open is going to more public courses.

The USGA contracted with Arnie to recruit members. It worked. They got lots of new members. The USGA looked at the make up of its membership and found they had a vast majority of public course players. They decided to start going to publicly accessible courses. They started with Pinehurst and Bethpage. Since they quit publishing their magazine, I can only speculate that they will continue this. I do know they wanted to take the Open to Whistling Straits. However, they were not as quick as the PGA, and Herb Kohler being an old man wanted to get a major championship there before he passed on. Therefore, he signed with the PGA. IMHO Undoubtedly there will be an open there in the future.

It seems they are looking at Erin Hills and I believe they should seriously look at Chambers Bay. However, Pierce county will have to get busy and contact them an get the ball rolling if they want such a thing to happen.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 07:19:53 PM »
The design team at Chambers Bay most certainly had the U.S. Open in mind when building the golf course.

And I think they have a very level-headed approach to the subject.  All you can do it present the best package possible.....the rest is up to the USGA.

At this point, nobody knows anything.  This thread has turned to pure conjecture....conspiracy theories, biases and heresy.  Maybe RTJII has some connections...can pull some strings.....but that isn't the type of dirt I am aware of.....and I doubt most of you are either.

Who knows if Chambers Bay will get a major championship, only time will tell.  Surely, it has enough length.  I don't see why it couldn't host a major someday, really and truly, it's awesome.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:21:41 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »
John, I knew that was what you meant, I just couldn't help myself!  ;D

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 10:29:23 PM »

If they could borrow Shinnecock for parking.

The US Open is more about corporate tents, parking and the TV village.  Its a huge undertaking.   I'm not sure what they used at Oakmont but its why the USGA loves Pinehurst and Bethpage, space and plenty of it.  If its near a major city even better, such as Torrey Pines, or Bethpage.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 01:23:53 AM »
What is the main reason for such Championships moving to public courses?
What has made the USGA change its mind, somewhat, on venues in the past ten years?

I don't mean to say I would like nothing but public courses for the US Open, I don't, but I just noticed more public courses are being seriously looked at by the USGA.  I love the older courses, and I think there is something to be said for keeping them in the rotation, especially Shinnecock and Oakmont, for example, but I'm equally as glad to have some public tracks.  

Obviously, public venues would be more interesting, I think, to the golfing public as some will be able to interact with the course if they have played it.  This is a good thing and I think that is a big benefit to having public courses host Championships.

Though I do like the addition of public courses, I must say I am equally as excited, if not more so, to watching the 2013 US Open at Merion.

Gene Greco

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 01:40:48 AM »

No

However, a perfect Walker Cup venue. In fact, site of the first one in 1922.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back