News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Michael Blake

Oakmont greens
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:23:42 AM »
Was skimming through The Word Atlas of Golf, 2005 edition over morning coffee and this caught my eye.

On page 21 a caption under a picture of Oakmont's 18th green, "Oakmont's greens are fair because they contain no grain, which affects not only the distances putts will roll but also in which direction if will bend."

How can a green contain no grain?  

Is it simply because they're mowed in different directions and/or cut so short?

Are there other explanations?  Am I missing something?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:24:21 AM by Michael Blake »

wsmorrison

Re:Oakmont greens
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »
Michael,

Being predominantly Poa Annua, I believe there is little or no grain in Oakmont's greens.  

Bent Grass, even cut as low as found on Merion's greens have grain that strongly influences putts.  All the grain goes towards the 11th green.  Personally, I love grain on Bent Grass greens due to the added demands it makes on players.  

Michael Blake

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:43:22 AM »
Thanks Wayne.

I guess I neglected the obvious explanation...species.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
Wouldn't Oakmonts greens be "fair" because of they way they were shaped and how they work with the rest of the architecture? Since when does grain=unfair?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:24:42 PM »
Joe-

Perfect.

We should next hold a nice little execution and burial for the word "fair" used in any golf context.

Now that ought to elicit some responses!
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back