News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

HamiltonBHearst

Re:Sanctuary: Opportunity to Play
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 01:43:54 PM »

Mr. Childs goes on a rant about the "misguided views of the worst president in american history" and then we have Dan Taylor reprimanding Micheal Christensen and imploring him that it is all in delivery ???

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 01:56:25 PM »
Hammy - I thought we were buddies and I was getting a stateroom on your Yacht for the Cabot Links opening? Perhaps history will show me to be wrong but I doubt it at this point. My delivery is why I'm in the lab and not the bedside  ;D

Kalen - you raise some interesting issues.  These issues are certainly important topics for ethicists, scientists and religious figures to discuss and come to terms with acceptable solutions.

If Michael really wants to get sick then all he has to do is look at my paycheck  ;)

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »

Mr. Childs goes on a rant about the "misguided views of the worst president in american history"

Just today
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/20/bush.stem.cell.ap/index.html

Yes Hammy - another stellar moment for the administration and another great victory for the quality of life of the 300 million citizens.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »

Mr. Childs goes on a rant about the "misguided views of the worst president in american history"

Just today
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/20/bush.stem.cell.ap/index.html

Yes Hammy - another stellar moment for the administration and another great victory for the quality of life of the 300 million citizens.

Hey Dr. Childs,

Thats the commander in chief you are critizing about there.  That is not to be taken lightely.  Next time you should work on improved "strategery" when typing in you comments.   ;D

DTaylor18

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »

Mr. Childs goes on a rant about the "misguided views of the worst president in american history" and then we have Dan Taylor reprimanding Micheal Christensen and imploring him that it is all in delivery ???

Corey, I think you misunderstood, I was supporting Geoffrey.  Perhaps I know more than you think I do?   ;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
One can pony up to a charity of his/her choice to play there most every week of the summer. It's helpful to the Denver community.

http://www.sanctuarygolfcourse.com/charities/tournaments.asp

I've played the course in various events 1x/year the past several years. Architectually, it's not my favourite Jim Engh course (I prefer Fossil Trace/Lakota/Pradera) because the land is really too severe and the course too artificial IMO, but it's also pretty amazing architectually in that a golf course could be built at all on such a severe site. It is a great event course due to the WOW factor, and it put Jim on the map and led to his other (again better IMO) courses.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

SPDB

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »

Corey, I think you misunderstood, I was supporting Geoffrey.  Perhaps I know more than you think I do?   ;)

Corey? ??? ???

Jim Franklin

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 01:05:36 PM »

Corey? ??? ???

Hammy??
Mr Hurricane

Michael Christensen

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
I was in no way condemning Dr Childs in particular....I just get a little frosted with EVERYONE'S hand is out for something.  I am sure whatever work is being done with stem cells is for the common good, but where does it end??  We are going bankrupt people, I really hope you understand this.  We are obligated to pay for way more than what we have....take a look at the Medicare /Medicaid/ Social Security pools past 2030.  And taxes will be raised, because no one is going to accept a benefits cut.  That is why I am working like hell to get out of the system by 2012....I will only owe property taxes, interest income and sales tax.  I am done working to pay 70%+ to various governments who spend money like a college kid with his first credit card.

As far as me and my loved ones getting sick or not getting sick, I am sure God will look over us.  If it is our time, than it is our time.  And if I do get sick, I will PAY for my own damn health care....no government handouts here gentlemen!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 05:33:09 PM »
You ever hear of Long Term Care insurance?
Mr Hurricane

Matt_Ward

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »
I am not going to confuse the charitiable aspects of the event with the actual architecture of the course.

I like plenty of what Jim Engh has designed but Sanctuary simply cannot deliver because of the harshness of the overall land the course occupies. There are times when the holes are quite good -- but far too often the extremes of site cause for excesses with earthmoving and shaping that clearly go beyond what I would consider as acceptable.

Take for example the 1st hole -- this has to be one of the all-time dropshots I have ever played. When you stand on the champ tee you feel like Dante before his fall into the abyss. The tee shot h-a-n-g-s in the air for an eternity. No doubt there are a wide range of thrills with such shots but the excess nature of them and the severity of the site mandate a particular level of ability in order to enjoy the totality of what you find there.

Engh did well in spots -- but cutting and shaping holes for such a grueling site often means turning points that can be rather over-the-top.

I credit Engh in taking the difficult job because he did get tremendous amount of notice from his work there and it is through later designs that he has done quite well for a host of broader reasons. In that regard I agree w Doug W.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 08:06:43 PM »
Mr Franklin,

I have long term care.....the one insurance you MUST have.  But unfortunately, the best policy only covers $144K lifetime benefits....that is about 1 1/2 yrs at full benefits (full time nurse, etc).....at that point, a shot gun is looking pretty good! ;D

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2007, 08:26:03 PM »
Mr Christensen

"EVERYONE'S hand is out for something." - You make it sound as if I am asking for a new house, car and living expenses for life.  Let's be clear - The National Institutes of Health funds research grants that pay for basic, translational and clinical research aimed at curing disease.  This is not money in my pocket.  Currently the funding levels at all time lows are in the 10% range and as always they are awarded by peer review process not pork barrel add on awards. My laboratory uses state of the art genomics technology (not cheap) to study head and neck cancer, a disease that took the life of architect Mike Strantz and has at least one esteamed member of GCA who is a survivor.

You have not answered my inquiry-

Would you have any federal taxes?

What would you have us spend any money on if you do believe in taxation? Who and what is worthy without bowing one's head and eyes demurely with their hand out asking for something?

Thank you
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:27:34 PM by GJChilds »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2007, 08:57:42 PM »
My daughter who recently earned an MS in molecular biology (that will set back genetics maybe 50 years!  :P ) and works in a university medical lab, is both a liberal and a cynic.  Her opinion is that Bush is blocking the federal government from investing in stem cell research so the (Republican) private sector will be able to do so and reap all the benefits from new over-priced drugs.

I said she was a liberal cynic, right?  ;D

Thoughts?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
Believe it or not, Tom MacWood told me who Hammy was a long time ago based on some IP research he did.

It just made my sometimes seemingly heated jousting with the Hamster all the more tongue-in-cheek enjoyable the past few years!  ;)

Perhaps like Dr. Katz did a few years back, the originator and creator of the character can pass on the mantle to a deserving heir of his own choosing?  

If nothing else, these unique, if fictitious stereotypical personas keep us on our toes and mindful that this is supposed to be fun, folks.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »
My daughter who recently earned an MS in molecular biology (that will set back genetics maybe 50 years!  :P ) and works in a university medical lab, is both a liberal and a cynic.  Her opinion is that Bush is blocking the federal government from investing in stem cell research so the (Republican) private sector will be able to do so and reap all the benefits from new over-priced drugs.

I said she was a liberal cynic, right?  ;D

Thoughts?

Bill

Good for your daughter. If I can do anything to direct her career path let me know.

The private sector reaps the benefits anyway. If anything, novel research from academic sources funded by government or foundations such as the one the Santuary charity event supports (no Bill they do not have enough money already) can be the initiator of new biotech companies that develop drugs or patient protocols using the new findings. The academic center may get patent rights and gain from them but the economy benefits, new jobs are created and people benefit in general.  WIthout basic research going way back to bacteria there would be no recombinant DNA, no new biotech industry and no growth hormone or EPO for athletes to misuse.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2007, 09:34:07 PM »
Dr Childs,

Being a libertarian, I am against most federal, state, county, city/town taxes.  I realize there must be some taxation, but we have gone way over the edge.  I would hope that private funding (ie non-government taxes) could support your cancer studies.  But, there seems to be a feeling that it should be guaranteed to be funded by the taxpayer.  I have a BIG problem with that.

As far as what the feds/state should cover...I would limit it to the bare essentials.  Interstate highways....basic medicare/medicaid.......those are just a few.  Seeing I will never see Social Security, get rid or it.  Healthcare for illegal aliens...get rid of it.  American taxes going to Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc....get rid of it.  Ethanol subsidies....get rid of it.  Oil company subsidies...get rid of it.  Sugar/milk subsidies...get rid of it.  All these earmarks....GET RID OF ALL OF THEM!

We are obviously in different boats here....I am all for MINIMAL taxation, all across the board.  I think the worst is local taxation...ie town property taxes.  But I will digress.  

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2007, 10:33:37 PM »
Michael

Thanks for the honest reply.  Yes - we are in different camps if you will.  I think that proper use of government money supports the common good, stimulates the economy, improves the quality of life of its citizens.  Getting all that right is tough and possibly impossible but that's the price of democracy and freedom.

My grandparents were immigrants who came here with nothing. I suspect at some time your relatives were immigrants too. The world is not so large anymore and we can not insulate ourselves from it.  Just my humble opinion.

PS- I hope the Santuary event is a great success.  I will be in Colorado next month for some golf but unfortunately Santuary is not on the agenda.

PPS- interstate highways are worthy?  Why do we need government highways when the private sector can build them and put toll booths up every few miles? I think private militia are a good idea too.  Private schools are a must too.  I don't want my taxes supporting other people's kids.  Am I getting the hang of it  ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:07:25 PM by GJChilds »

John Kirk

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2007, 09:38:48 AM »
Congratulations on the most civil political discussion in GCA history.  I'm very impressed.

I thought President Bush vetoed stem-cell because he is either appeasing his political base, or he personally objects based on religious beliefs.  I disagree strongly, but hold some respect for the President on this issue, because I believe he decided based on his moral beliefs.

It's my understanding that Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid make up the vast majority of future government obligations.  The Medicare Drug Benefit Program apparently added a significant component to that obligation.  Other government projects are background noise in comparison.

I'll take this opportunity to summarize my beliefs.  I don't think pure capitalism for every industry works.  Some industries require governmental oversight.  I think tax revenues should equal tax expenditures.  Finally, I think the system may be irrevocably broken, where lobbyists possess far too much influence on government decison making.  I have a dismal view of the country today.  Too much greed.

With that said, you can call me Mr. Kirk, or JK, or buddy, as I only possess a lowly master's degree level of education.

What course were we discussing?

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2007, 10:38:21 AM »
Congratulations on the most civil political discussion in GCA history.  I'm very impressed.

I thought President Bush vetoed stem-cell because he is either appeasing his political base, or he personally objects based on religious beliefs.  I disagree strongly, but hold some respect for the President on this issue, because I believe he decided based on his moral beliefs.

It's my understanding that Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid make up the vast majority of future government obligations.  The Medicare Drug Benefit Program apparently added a significant component to that obligation.  Other government projects are background noise in comparison.

I'll take this opportunity to summarize my beliefs.  I don't think pure capitalism for every industry works.  Some industries require governmental oversight.  I think tax revenues should equal tax expenditures.  Finally, I think the system may be irrevocably broken, where lobbyists possess far too much influence on government decision making.  I have a dismal view of the country today.  Too much greed.

With that said, you can call me Mr. Kirk, or JK, or buddy, as I only possess a lowly master's degree level of education.

What course were we discussing?

Mr Kirk- I'm happy to call you buddy - and I agree with your entire post - My only respect for our president is that is is entirely consistent- religious morals belong in your family and your church and not within our multicultural government IMHO (and I believe the constitution as well).

John Kirk

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 11:37:40 AM »
Dr. Geoff,

I agree completely.  Our political beliefs are very similar.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 11:39:43 AM by John Kirk »

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 12:37:47 PM »
Some people feel that certain moral beliefs transcend religion.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »
Some people feel that certain moral beliefs transcend religion.

And therein is the basis of extremism.  There is a fine line to tread when taking that road.  We need ethicists, religious figures (all denominations), scientists and legal experts to debate and decide these issues. In your home or church you can make an individual decision but in a multicultural democracy that can't work. JMHO

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »
My wife and I did not cry when she had a very early term miscarriage because we are Catholic.  We cried because a baby we had already named Vincent died that day.  This is not extremism...it is the kind of reality that hits you square in the face much like a disease that could be cured if a politician held your views.  To think it has anything to do with a statue in church is what is extreme.

George Pazin

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 01:41:11 PM »
 :-X

self delete

Have a nice weekend.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:41:49 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back