News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Tribute to Pete and Alice Dye
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
We're finishing up the new clubhouse at The Ocean Course and one of the things we're looking to do is to use the front hallway as a tribute to Pete and Alice Dye and their impact on the game.  We're going to have about 20 or so sections/themes, about 1/3 of which will be on aspects of The Ocean Course.  The other 2/3 will be on his/their work on other venues.  Can I get the treehouse to chime in and give some suggestions on some themes that we can use for his/their work.  Obviously, we're going to feature Harbour Town, Sawgrass, Whistling Straits, Crooked Stick.  What themes about these courses should we focus on and what about some of his/their other work?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:11:58 PM by Mike Vegis @ Kiawah »

PThomas

Re:Tribute to Pete and Alice Dye
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
a fine idea Mike

Pete is one of the most influential archies in history, someone who really changed the ideas behind mainstream architecture in the 60's with Crooked Stick, TGC, and Harbour Town

so many great courses, also TPC, W Straits, etc.......

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:07 PM »
I've always thought Long Cove looked like a neat course in the photo's I've seen. Casa de Campo would seem to be an automatic.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 12:32:03 PM »
Mike,
   I think an area that demonstrates how Pete and Alice borrowed ideas from abroad that were incorporated into their courses and design style.
   Also showing Pete's hands-on approach to building courses would be good.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 12:36:40 PM »
Mike,
   I think an area that demonstrates how Pete and Alice borrowed ideas from abroad that were incorporated into their courses and design style.
   Also showing Pete's hands-on approach to building courses would be good.

That's very good idea Ed. Pictures of Prestwick would answer alot of questions for people. ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 12:45:38 PM »
Consider doing a section on Dye employees who have gone on to successful architectural careers. Those people are part of their legacy.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »
You have to include something on the Pete Dye GC. It's the only one he gave his name to.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:34 PM »
Consider doing a section on Dye employees who have gone on to successful architectural careers. Those people are part of their legacy.

I know Doak worked for him.  Who else?

Ed_Baker

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »
Have to give P.B. some space too.

BTW, the clubhouse looks PERFECT, not the overdone mauseleums that abound newer courses.

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 01:11:03 PM »
Pete has also done some designs for little if any fee
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 01:17:20 PM »
Any benches could be made out of railroad ties......

The entry could be through a boxcar bridge......

Perhaps one exhibit could be put out on an island, and most hallways could be slightly angled, replicating Pete's fw's.

A tribute to the 14th at Harbor Town would be appropriate as a symbol of all his railroad ties.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »

I know Doak worked for him.  Who else?

There was a guy, his name was Coors or Coore or Corey -- something like that -- who Pete gave a job cutting down trees with a chainsaw in a swamp.  I think Pete and Alice had him dog sit for them, too.

I wish I could recall the specifics, cause it sounded like a really interesting story.  Anybody remember the guy's name or whether he's in the business?

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
Sorry, Jeff.  We're not going to redesign the clubhouse for this tribute... ;D :o

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »
Alice's impact on the placement of forward tees.

Mark,

You're kidding about not remembering Bill Coore aren't you?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 01:35:40 PM »
Jim Urbina worked with Pete Dye. An email to Jim or Tom would probably be your best bet for seeing who worked with Pete over the years.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »
I'm currently reading "Bury Me in a Pot Bunker" and there are lots of tributes you could do from his early years when he struggled and almost didn't make it as a designer.  Would have been a shame if he called it quits and gone back to selling insurance...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 02:01:20 PM »
Mike
In terms of "themes", maybe you can have thematic titles for each section.

One of those titles/sections might be "The Innovative Traditionalist"  (or maybe "Innovation through Tradition",  or "Traditional Innovation").

Another title/section might be "New Grounds for Golf" (or "Breaking New Ground").

Yet another title/section might be "The Iconoclast" (or "The Oldest Modern").

Finally, how about "The Bridgebuilder" (or "Bridging Designs").

Peter

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:14:55 PM by Peter Pallotta »

redanman

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »
Mike:

Clubhouse looks good. Really, realy good.

Any tribute to Pete and Alice needs to include The Golf Club.  Seminal work.

For those that seem unaware of anyone other than Coore (Top gca.com BDAW status) and Doak, do some research, there's a fair number of architects tutored under the yes.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 02:10:40 PM »
I agree with Peter: themes work much better than courses. Casual golfers will learn a lot more about why they should care about Pete Dye that way.

All IMHO, of course...

Garland, I played last week with someone who talked about playing a Ben Crenshaw course a few years ago called "Sand Hills." He liked that so much he's planning to play a new Crenshaw course, Austin Golf Club.  All in all, he really likes the designer Ben Crenshaw. Don't you?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 02:14:56 PM »
I don't know Mark, that Ben Crenshaw guy looks like he has been out in the sun too much, and as far as I know, he never worked with Pete Dye.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 02:17:21 PM »
Another vote for Nicklaus, then.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 03:14:50 PM »
Ask Pete himself. Perhaps a segment where you get the comments of other living architects or players on Pete's influence. Jerry Pate about throwing Pete into the lake with him  :)

I do think a transcript of his interview with Ran for GCA would be very informative  ::)

Willie_Dow

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 03:25:48 PM »
Mike - Don't leave out The Moorings Club in Vero Beach for it is one of the great "quirkies" Pete (and I bet Alice had an input, too) designed.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 03:52:15 PM »
Management!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 04:12:33 PM »
Pete has also done some designs for little if any fee
To that effect, perhaps you might include a picture of one of the holes at Wintonbury Hills with a caption that tells the viewers of Dye's charitable contributions to the game (not to mention Tim Liddy's admirable work on the course, as one of Dye's pupils).  Another such possibility is Big Fish Golf Course out in Wisconsin, which appears to be the same concept as Wintonbury Hills.

Another suggestion might be to keep a couple pictures of Dye on-site at a current project-in-progress.  Just to show how the work of a revolutionary such as Dye is never done... :)
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back