News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Double Standard on Double Penalty?
« on: June 13, 2007, 10:20:24 AM »
I speculate that few here are fans of the tree in bunker element because it doubly penalizes the player.  Cannot the same be said for thick (watered) rough and extremely firm (parched and rolled) greens?

Mike
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:20:41 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Joe Hancock

Re:Double Standard on Double Penalty?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:38:39 AM »
Mike,

I think one could say that. But, I think you would avoid it for general play, and maybe it's OK to test the best players in the world, in a square groove sort of way.

;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »
How about a general lack of talent and old age.  I can't hardly think of a golf shot without at least two possible penal outcomes.

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
 I actually like an occasional hardwood tree in a bunker. Since it's already a hazard adding the aerial hazard doesn't bother me. Now , as you get closer to the green the idea becomes bad because you run out of room to move the ball.
AKA Mayday

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 11:04:18 AM »
Ah, the double penalty.....

If you went to Ireland or even Shinnecock with its steep faced bunkers, you would likely have to play out sideways every once in a while.  Why is playing sideways because of a tree different than because of a steep/tall bank, bad lie, or tall grass?

I guess double penalty is golfspeak for "I can't fire at the pin" after hitting a bunker, even though I knew the penalty before planning and executing my tee shot, and that just ain't fair!

Seriously, while I wouldn't do a lot of this on a design, if it happens a few times, it should be just one more thing you factor into your tee shot and then accept the penalty, no?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:17:23 AM »

If you went to Ireland or even Shinnecock with its steep faced bunkers, you would likely have to play out sideways every once in a while.  Why is playing sideways because of a tree different than because of a steep/tall bank, bad lie, or tall grass?

I guess double penalty is golfspeak for "I can't fire at the pin" after hitting a bunker, even though I knew the penalty before planning and executing my tee shot, and that just ain't fair!

Seriously, while I wouldn't do a lot of this on a design, if it happens a few times, it should be just one more thing you factor into your tee shot and then accept the penalty, no?

Exactly.  Is the double penalty theory strickly a Golfclubatlas thing?  I have never heard it mentioned by anyone outside this site and the few unfortuneate times I have brought it up I have been simply told to get over it.  Is the double penalty mentioned anywhere in the old classics.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 01:44:10 PM »

You can be in the fairway and still get the double penalty by being behind a tree/trees on the inside of the dogleg where ones only play is to "chip out" to a different part of the fairway

mike_malone

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:49:11 PM »
 I think the relevance of the bunker/tree double penalty is when a tree or trees are planted within the line of play of a bunker  well AFTER the bunker was placed there. I have heard this discussed in many circles; I believe it is referenced in USGA pieces on trees.
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
Tell me about the tree/bunker double penalty when the bunker is so well prepared the player would prefer it to the rough...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
If you count waste area as a bunker, I disagree. It is just a part of the lure of many courses.  Pine Valley certainly comes to mind as does my course in South Carolina, Musgrove Mill.  It gives you another reason not to hit it in the bunker.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 06:35:00 PM »
John:

The double penalty cliche is not just a Golf Club Atlas thing.  I've been hearing it for twenty years.  Nicklaus even told us we should remove a native sand bunker on one hole at Sebonack (the 16th) because there was a tree in the way and it would be a double penalty.

Personally, I think it's okay once in a great while to ask a player who has hit well off line to play a shot out of a bunker and over or around a tree (or play safely away from it).

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 08:44:02 PM »
Just eat it...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
Mark,

One would have to be very unlucky to be able to get a ball into that bunker in the bottom picture.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 09:05:56 PM »
Joe,

Never underestimate the power of the human spirit to find a way.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back