News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Blasberg

Erin Hills (10&11 with pictures)
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:03:21 AM »
Here’s the tee shot on 10, the aggressive line of play is a about a 230-277 carry, depending on tees, over the left edge of the bunker on the right, and there’s plenty of bailout room left.

A great look back at the Bye Hole from 10 fairway, you can see just how narrow it is.  Yet another example of one of EH’s great features, the routing previews and returns.

Weather looming on the horizon, again the Bye Hole in the foreground:

Another preview, number 14 green site in the background (I believe that’s 9 green in the middle of the picture)

A look back toward the tee from the lay up zone, number 10 plays from 572-652 from the men’s tees.

The approach to the Biarritz, a bit of a variation with the front right false front and noticeable up hill approach.  One of the qualities about EHs that I appreciated was it’s unconventional approach to traditional features such as the Biarritz and the Dell (although the Dell is not a hole I’d like to play everyday).  Number 17 is also a bit of a variation on an Alps with a ridge line crossing the line of play about 30 yards short of the green.

Another preview, this one of 11 green:

A good look at the false front to the Biarritz.  How many other Biarritz’ have a similar feature?  Uncle George?  Those I know the best do not (The Creek, Westhampton, Yale)

The ball will feed left to right off the back stop :

The view from the back shelf:

The tee shot on 11:

At only 315 from the men’s tees we played the centerline bunker is very much in play:

I blocked my tee shot into the right rough and suffered a less than ideal approach angle because a centerline knob in the front of the green that I had to carry kicked my wedge approach to the back of the green:

The approach from the fairway:

The left side of the fairway, like most of EHs, provides few level stances.  In this way EHs reminded me very much of Prairie Dunes:

An up close view of the centerline bunker and green:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:03:58 AM by JKBlasberg »

John Kavanaugh

Re:Erin Hills (10&11 with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 07:24:03 AM »
JK,

This is a great series, thanks.  Do you see any way in the future that there might be more of a color contrast between the different grasses.  It all seems too monochromatic for me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:24:34 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Jim Colton

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:51:38 AM »
JK,

Thanks for the pictures.  I've been following these posts religously.  The more I see, the more I realize that I have to get up there.  If your favorable comparison to the other 3 at Kohler is anywhere close to being true, then it is definitely a must play.

CHrisB

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:02:21 PM »
I really liked the 11th tee shot. We played it from 415 into the wind--we couldn't see any of the fairway--and with the green in view on the left it was easy to get sucked into taking a line too far left over the bunker, which flirted with the native grasses on the left (some of the highest on the course). You had to pick a target in the distance that felt like it would be too far right, and trust the line.

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:36:06 PM »
Sean,  It does have an unusual look and there is a good reason why.  I'll have some comments on the overall look and the grasses when I post on the course tonight.  I will say for now that the 11th started my favorite stretch of holes on the course.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »
JK,

This is a great series, thanks.  Do you see any way in the future that there might be more of a color contrast between the different grasses.  It all seems too monochromatic for me.

The long native areas need to brown out, hopefully that will happen but I don't know.  Also the fairways being fescue should brown a bit if they're not over irrigated and it's not too wet otherwise.  

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 08:32:07 PM »
The green in the middle of the one picture is actually 13.  Also all the grasses in the playing corridors are fescue.  The greens are A4 and the tees are some other type of bentgrass.  One of the neat aspects of having the same grass for your roughs and fairways is that it is easy to convert areas mowing hieghts.  Recently my boss had me create a larger chipping area to the left of 18.  It is still recovering from being mowed down.  

An interesting aspect of these two holes is that at one time during the early stages of design it was actually 3 holes playing in the oppisite direction.  The 11th was a short par four playing towards the tees of todays 11th.  Then there was par 3 playing from the regular tees to a green around the black back tee.  Finally the 10th was the 18th with the green being the bye hole green and tees being at the present tenth green.  Finally they decided on todays version, when they discovered the volcano like green site for the 15th.

Even early on in construction the 10th was a par four of about 440 yards, but they decided that the 17th would work better as a par four, and the greensite was moved back.  They then moved the tees back on ten to make it a par 5.  I hope that makes some sense.  

Brendan  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back