News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Limp Wristed in Pennsy
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »
Ryan,

I'm with you guy and have been fighting for the image of golfers for years.  Sadly the image of the game and its players is at such a low point now that I no longer wear shorts outside the gates of where I play.    

Adam Clayman

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
Ryan,
You take pride about the athleticisim and defend long rough?

Your position is backasswards because the set-ups at both the US Open and the PGA stifel athleticisim and creativity, all for the sake of a number. Par must be above 70 or else, mentality.

You take the cake, congrats!

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2007, 01:56:34 PM »
Questions:

1. Does hitting from long rough place disproportionate reward on luck rather than skill? Would shorter rough reduce the role of luck?

2. If the point of the rough is to reward athleticism, wouldn't a better test be to: a) put competitors on the golf equivalent of the NBA shot clock, say two-hour rounds; b) return to 36-hole final days?

JR Potts

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2007, 01:56:38 PM »
Ryan,
You take pride about the athleticisim and defend long rough?

Your position is backasswards because the set-ups at both the US Open and the PGA stifel athleticisim and creativity, all for the sake of a number. Par must be above 70 or else, mentality.

You take the cake, congrats!

Adam, like it or not, its time to face reality.  At the upper levels of the game, golf is a man's game....a power game.  The US Open and PGA Championship should stand as the ultimate tests of the game.   Look at the past winners of these events...are you going to tell me that these set-ups aren't finding the best players in the world?

Further, I would be interested in hearing how playing away from the long rough stifles creativity as compared to playing away from shorter rough.

Adam, you baked the cake...and Phil Mickelsen just ate it in one sitting...but still complained about the taste, congrats!

JESII

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2007, 02:03:45 PM »
Adam,

In that same piece I saw him say there were greens prepared "identically*" which has created a 4 1/2 foot difference in speed from some greens to others.

* identically is to mean the same watering routine, mowing height and frequency, and rolling pattern.

Suggesting there could be that much difference at Oakmont...THE place known for its greens quality for 100 years and in the spotlight from a preparation perspective for five years shows that he has taken in the kool-aid Pelz spews so easily.

You are correct, I am probably not an objective observer of the nonsense that comes out of Mickleson's mouth...what surprises me is that you apparently are.

I understand that topographic location effects the speed of greens, especially as the day wears on. That's not my issue. 4 and one half feet is my issue. He is attempting to make the USGA and Oakmont look foolish...which makes him an ass.

About the rough and his injured wrist, I think Ryan might have said it best earlier...BOO friggin' HOO.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2007, 02:15:03 PM »
Phil is not looking like he's OK. Hand has come off the club twice in 3 holes.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2007, 02:27:23 PM »
Phil is not looking like he's OK. Hand has come off the club twice in 3 holes.

Earnhardt shook around less when he hit the wall.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2007, 03:02:18 PM »
Sully, I've asked a few questions and read between a few lines.  
The Kool aid tag is getting over-used from the white house to the golf course.

The discrepencies in greens speeds is either provable or it's not. If it is, don't you think the entitiy in-charge should be made aware of it. And if they don't understand something as fundamental as this example, where they should be the ones to know, then IMO they get it all wrong and are just too staunch to realize it. Seprating these little matters from big picture issues is getting harder and harder.

I have given the USGA the benefit of the doubt on many matters up until now. The questions keep coming and the justifications for their actions do not. The kool aid comment is too easy, but applicable, for them.

And look what it has wrought, the testosterone filled manly man attitude Ryan so aptly exudes.

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spamity Spam Spam Spam.
 ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JESII

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »
I am not sure what to read in your post there other than a belief that Mickle/Pelz is correct with their 4.5 foot claim...if that's the case I'm just not sure what to say.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »
J,

A foot on the Pelz does not equal a foot on the stimp.  I do not know the conversion.

JESII

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2007, 04:24:22 PM »
J,

A foot on the Pelz does not equal a foot on the stimp.

Shocking...

So, when Mickleson says one green is 54 inches faster than another is he speaking Greek? Or is he referreing to our understanding of 12 inches?

redanman

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »
Rough?  You want rough?

Let's see you hit out of this patch!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back