News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re:Limp Wristed in Pennsy
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »
Mike Hendren,

The tall deep rough at Shinnecock, NGLA and GCGC is quite natural.

Unfortunately, it too can cause injuries while attempting to extricate your ball ..... if you can find it.

Similar rough, in the rolling, open, farmland like terrain at Oakmont seems natural to me.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 10:29:15 PM »

I would ask you and others how you would compare the rough at the U.S. Opens to the Heather and Gorse and rough at the British Opens ?

Is there a distinction ?

Patrick, Surely the gorse is not immediately next to the fairways.

Neither is the deep rough at Oakmont.
I believe that there are three cuts, short, intermediate and long.

Carnoustie's rough didn't look benign, and it was in fairly tight to the fairways.
[/color]

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
Patrick,

Having only played Shinnecock Hills and National Golf Links of America, the hay there is indeed quite naturally but rarely encroaches on the playing corridors.  

Drive around PA this week and tell me you see turf anywhere that looks like the stuff one inch off the pinched fairways of Oakmont Country Club.  Then again, maybe they fertilize, water and aerate farm land in PA - I dunno.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JR Potts

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 10:35:41 PM »
I felt awful for myself as I had to slash through the unnatural fescue at Chicago Golf today when I hit my drive left on 4, 6 & 15 and right on 12.

I further feel awful for my three year old daugher who has to slash her plastic driver through the 7 inch rough in my un-mowed backyard.  

Afterall, such long rough and difficult playing conditions are so unnatural and so unfair when testing the world's best 150 something players.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 10:36:24 PM by Ryan Potts »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 10:36:22 PM »
"I would build a golden calf and make love to a salt lick before I would kneel before a shrine to any golfer."

John,

In my opinion, this quote qualifies you for GCAer of the month!Unreal.

Bob Jenkins

Mike Hendren

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 10:41:30 PM »
Ryan,

In light of the torching of Chicago Golf Club by the Walker Cuppers,  your analogy fails miserably.

(BTW, I apologize for my argumentative mood this evening, but I have been trying to dig a stump out of our landscaping and broke my pick-axe.  The stump continues to mock me from its firm position.)

Kindest regards,

Mike
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 10:44:17 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JR Potts

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 10:45:44 PM »
Ryan,

In light of the torching of Chicago Golf Club by the Walker Cuppers,  your analogy fails miserably.

(BTW, I apologize for my argumentative mood this evening, but I have been trying to dig a stump out of our landscaping and broke my pick-axe.  The stump continues to mock me from its firm position.)

Kindest regards,

Mike

Understood and appreciated.

Just don't take the fact that you are wrong too personally.   ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 11:06:17 PM »
Adam,
Yes, that should have read "..on the par 5 6th hole" but I was rushing when I typed it.

The reason I chose that photo was because it's of Royal Liverpool, and I don't see the difference between the hay for their Open or the hay for our Open.

Is it so anti-golf to have one championship a year where you must drive the ball straight, you must hit irons with surgical precision, you must have the touch of a safecracker around the greens and you must have the ghost of Bobby Locke sitting on your shoulder when you're putting?

I think not.  

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »
Patrick,

Having only played Shinnecock Hills and National Golf Links of America, the hay there is indeed quite naturally but rarely encroaches on the playing corridors.  

Drive around PA this week and tell me you see turf anywhere that looks like the stuff one inch off the pinched fairways of Oakmont Country Club.  Then again, maybe they fertilize, water and aerate farm land in PA - I dunno.

Mike,

They're not hosting the U.S. Open at Shinnecock and NGLA this week either.
[/color]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 11:12:21 PM »

Is it so anti-golf to have one championship a year where you must drive the ball straight, you must hit irons with surgical precision, you must have the touch of a safecracker around the greens and you must have the ghost of Bobby Locke sitting on your shoulder when you're putting?

The thought of one man doing it four days in a row inspires me.  72 holes....not even 71 I seem to recall.  Who doesn't know where they were last year during the great melt down of so many fine champions and the quiet emergence of one.  Why trade that moment for the sound of mowers.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 11:39:19 PM »

You guys are in great form on this thread!

You make me want to grab the clubs sitting across the den and run out to hit balls into the pending darkness, just to get that "feel" of hitting a few pure ones.

Thanks. Love this site.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
I would build a golden calf and make love to a salt lick before I would kneel before a shrine to any golfer.  I can't believe we are debating the dangers of golf at a US Open level.

Well said.

Winner gets what......1.5 million?
Guy that barely makes the cut gets what.......20k?

What do guys on special teams in the NFL make?

A professional golfer might hurt his wrist hitting from a place he wasn't supposed to hit it.....boo-frickin-hoo.

The count is up to 6.

It's one thing to injure oneself playing the sport. But is entirely another matter when the condition is man made, contrived and against the grain of intellegent.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JESII

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »
Adam,

If you are representing a belief that 6 players are claiming wrist injury due to the rough at Oakmont I think I'll be sick...please let us off the hook on this one...please...

Hopefully skeptical,

JS

Jim Nugent

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 03:05:32 AM »

The count is up to 6.

It's one thing to injure oneself playing the sport. But is entirely another matter when the condition is man made, contrived and against the grain of intellegent.

Adam, do you know who they are?  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 12:07:23 PM »
Adam,

If you are representing a belief that 6 players are claiming wrist injury due to the rough at Oakmont I think I'll be sick...please let us off the hook on this one...please...

Hopefully skeptical,

JS

Sully, The painkiller comment shows you have a bias on who said this but....

Mickelson: I'm uncertain whether or not it's going to hold up on some of the shots out of the rough. It's been hurt in this rough before. Yesterday, 5, 6 people got hurt that Jim Weathers had to go work on. I think this golf course is a physical hazard to the players. I don't think that that has been very well thought out.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »
Adam,
Maybe if the guys learn to take their medicine when they get in the rough they won't need any painkillers.  :o
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Adam Clayman

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 12:33:46 PM »
It's sadistic to the point of ridiculous and continued behavior suggests an addiction. Not exactly the image a governing body should support, especially without a safe word.

Palomino

Palomino

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2007, 12:38:37 PM »
I'm not seeing the difficulty of the rough from the TV coverage.  Has there even been one 90 deg hack out?

JR Potts

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2007, 12:51:27 PM »

Mickelson: I'm uncertain whether or not it's going to hold up on some of the shots out of the rough. It's been hurt in this rough before. Yesterday, 5, 6 people got hurt that Jim Weathers had to go work on. I think this golf course is a physical hazard to the players. I don't think that that has been very well thought out.

All the most reason to hate this overpaid, overhyped skirt of a man.

Maybe he has tits for a reason.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 12:52:07 PM by Ryan Potts »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »
Did everyone forget that Phil hurt his wrist somewhere else?

Adam Clayman

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2007, 12:54:48 PM »
Ty Ryan, Love that spirit.

Promoting hate and jealosy.

The modern golf ethic!

JR Potts

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2007, 12:55:56 PM »
Ty Ryan, Love that spirit.

Promoting hate and jealosy.

The modern golf ethic!

I'm laughing....you should be too.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
Ryan is still hurting from the weak set ups that seem to plague every major held in Chicago.  The city of big shoulders and thin rough.  

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »
Did everyone forget that Phil hurt his wrist somewhere else?

?????????

He hurt his wrist orginally in a practice round at Oakmont.  When playing at The Memorial we found out just how much he really hurt it...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:09:22 PM by Kalen Braley »

JR Potts

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2007, 01:12:17 PM »
Ryan is still hurting from the weak set ups that seem to plague every major held in Chicago.  The city of big shoulders and thin rough.  

I'd be lying if I said that you were not a little bit correct.  But it's more like "the city of big shoulders, short rough and soft greens."

I think my real problem with these type of BS comments come for the fact that I take some pride in the altheticism of the game.  I take some pride in being able to quasi-excel at it.  I take issue with those that discount its athleticim and diffculty..both on the body and mind.

Comments like this just set the game back as far as I'm concerned.

This is the frickin US OPEN....THE US OPEN.

And I have to listen to a multi-million dollar "athlete" complain that the condition are too physically demanding.  Further, I have to listen to "golfers" defend him.

IT'S THE US OPEN!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 01:13:16 PM by Ryan Potts »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back