News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's most valuable contributors!?
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:07:16 PM »
This site has been going for how long now...7 1/2 to 8 years. Or has it been 9?

Over that time we have seen many people come and go---some leave for reasons not fully known. Others left in fits of pique. We've seen some really good ones go and never come back and we've seen others go and try to come back when they probably should've just stayed away.

But in the history of this website, and particularly it's Discussion Group who's been the most valuable of all, not just for his opinions but for his position in golf course architecture today and what he really does offer this site in ToTo---or is it Toe-Toe?

In my personal opinion, it isn't even close, He's weathered all the bullshit and personal pettiness and silliness and overarching length of posts and such and he always comes back with offering his own threads or valuable responses to other threads. He's never left, and he isn't an overuser of this website.

I feel without him GOLFCLUBATLAS.com wouldn't have anywhere near the credibility it does.

To me, it's Tom Doak, no question!

On the other side of the spectrum, on the "learner" side a contributor that has re-energized this site with great questions and thoughtful responses, in my opinion, is Canada's Peter Pallotta.

paul cowley

Re:GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's most valuable contributors!?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »
Well Tom.....for first place I would agree with the name Tom, but plural as in TP and TD.....and if I had to pick between the two, then you would get the nod. My reason for this is that I could always enjoy a Doak course if he wasn't lurking around here....but you, I don't know were I would find your fine insight if it wasn't for here.

You are a GCA Institution....#1.

Oh, and good insight on that Pallotta chap.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 10:40:16 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:44:26 PM »
Tom,

I agree that Peter has been a breath of fresh air. His reasoning, wit and tact are all exemplary.

There are really too many to list, and I'm afraid this type of endeavor quickly can become a popularity contest. Also, there are a few non-prolific posters who write very insightful and helpful posts. They should be recognized for not "cutting the fool", like I am prone to do.

:)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:16:02 PM »
Paul:

You are one of the very best "outside the box" thinkers in GCA.

Some of the very best of the "old guys" were real adventurer's with "outside the box" thinking but back in that day there weren't so many out there interested in standardizations of one kind or another to oppose them as there are today.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 12:02:33 AM »
I hesitated to respond here because it'd look like I was bumping the thread just to keep my name in lights ("why, I'd never!"), but I really wanted to thank Tom, Paul and Joe publicly for the very generous remarks. (My picks, by the way, are Tom, Paul and Joe  :)). Thanks, fellas.

I think Joe H is right, by the way. There really are a bunch of great posters here (infrequent or not). I learn a lot every day;thanks to all for sharing what you know.

Peter

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:14:44 AM by Peter Pallotta »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:27:25 AM »
Tom,

I have also really enjoyed what Peter brings to the table.

On the whole, anyone who has crossed the 500 or 1000 threshold captures my attention when they post. There is a great collective passion and wisdom here.

My guess is Ran would be #1 for the vision to start this.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:32:38 AM »
"My guess is Ran would be #1 for the vision to start this."

Do you mean Ran Morrissett?

Of course, I remember him. He wrote some awesome courses reviews on here but I think he's been automatically bumped from the Discussion Group for failure to produce a minimum amount of posts per year.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:18:44 AM »
I nominate Paul Thomas and John Conley.  Every good group needs balance.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 09:47:21 AM »
All the architects and supers.

I miss the days when Geoff Shackelford contributed regularly.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
All the architects and supers.

I miss the days when Geoff Shackelford contributed regularly.

George,

If you read Geoff Shackelford everyday, as I do...you will see that it would be almost impossible for him to fill these pages and his own.  There is far less dubious duplicity than I first thought...Of course Geoff rarely discusses architecture on his site, which is what makes it a great compliment to Golfclubatlas.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
I really miss Kelly Blake Moran as he has departed the site, and I miss Ian Andrew, who seems to be using his energy on his blog instead of "blogging" here.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »
Perhaps we need a rating system.  Categories: best modern poster - under 40 years old.  Best classic poster, over 40 and over 1000 posts.  

And, a Doak scale to rate them:
 no one that tries gets under 4.

5- a poster who is always writing something, but often not so much on GCA, and has occasional moments of lucidity.  A poster that others may or may not feel compelled to read, depending on the thread title.
6 - a poster that writes generally on GCA, has some insight because they have played a number of courses to compare, but doesn't spell well, nor has particularly good good grammar.  However, one that is a serious student of the subject and is both learning and can hold an intelligent give and take on aspects of design ideas.  One that most other posters know from previous posts and will usually warrant a read or two within a thread.
7 - a poster that has been around extensively, has a take that doesn't suck, and is generally well read or versed in the subject of GCA via having studied the seminal books on the subject.  A poster that one looks for their take and rarely is passed up by others.  Can post with wit and humor, and occasionally, authority.
8 - a poster that might be in the biz in some capacity from golf writer, to turf professional, or even an owner or operator.  Or, a world traveller who has played most of the most highly acclaimed courses, and can communicate those things that qualify those courses as world bests due to understanding their design and place in history.  Has studied a wealth of all literature on the subject.  A poster who is read all the time for their ability to teach others on the subject, and can entertain with their writing.
9 - One who is all of 8, has industry wide status as an architect or writer or constructor, can write very well, and brings expert knowledge of the subject to everyone on the board through generosity to share and to expand the field and body of knowledge of GCA.  One never passes up their posts and offerings and everyone wants to know what they have to say all all matters of golf and GCA.
10 - All of 8, all of 9, and we can only have 10 people at any one time admitted as a 10poster by unanimous acclaim of the rest of the tree house.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
Perhaps we need a rating system.  Categories: best modern poster - under 40 years old.  Best classic poster, over 40 and over 1000 posts.  

I nominate myself for Best Poster Between 50 and 55 -- Years Old and/or Pounds Overweight.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 12:07:03 PM »
RJ,

Should everyone do a self evaluation, and rate themselves? That way, no feelings are hurt...I couldn't handle being the only "3" on the site......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 12:15:25 PM »
I would move the "never passes up what they have to say" from 8/9 to 9/10.

Tom Doak is a 10.
For me Ian Andrew is a 10.
Tom Paul is a 9 only because I don't have the time to read everything he writes.
Jeff Brauer and Forrest Richardson are at least a 9.

And I would advise Dan Kelly that there are a huge number of competitors in the dual 50/55 category.
Can you spell self aggrandization? Apparently, I can't. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 12:19:09 PM »
Should everyone do a self evaluation...

Ahh, sure Joe.  I have discovered a suspicious lump on my cranium, and try to write everyday to maintain my lofty status as a classic 5.  :-\ ;D

Now, as for you... you get an auto pass into classic 8 due to your grandpa status, and your profession-entreprenuership in golf, and entertainment value.  ;) ;D 8)

Dan, you do qualify as a classic for age (I didn't know you had that much of a weight credential) and for some strange reason, you have a fine facility for spelling and grammar... I wonder why?  :o 8) ;D

I'm going to risk a MAD retaliation and rate Barney too.  I give him a 7 classic, but with a 31 flavors qualifier as "Rocky Road". :P ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

henrye

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
Most "valuable" and well thought out - Ran & Tom MacWood
Most entertaining - John Kavanaugh & TE Paul.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
I'm not sure about how to define "most valueable", but for whatever it is worth, here are a few of my GCA.com favorites . . .

Bob Huntley - pure class
Shivas - very good writer, logical thinker
John Kavanaugh - not afraid to speak his mind, strikes me as very smart
Tom Paul - so much knowledge it is sometimes scary
George Pazin - great willingness to share (18 holes Oakmont)
Tom Huck - portrays a real sense of fun and light-heartedness
Tom Doak - a real expert in his field, willing to share
David Tepper - his love for Dornoch is infectious

-Ted

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 01:13:20 PM »
I couldn't handle being the only "3" on the site......

Oh, Joe, no way are you a three.  ;)
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Kirk Gill

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 02:42:25 PM »
I will be the first to nominate Patrick Mucci - his passion for architecture is always evident, and his experience is always valuable, even if he says something I disagree with. His attitude sparks conversation and elicits passion from others.

I also appreciate George Pazin, who is quick to come to the defense of lesser golfers, and who created the famous Oakmont threads that will exponentially increase my enjoyment of this year's US Open.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 02:48:02 PM »
My vote goes to the Pizza Guy from a few years ago...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
I will vote for Mike Young and his built in BS O'Meter.

Oddly enough, I miss Geoff S as well.

PS - Thanks to the poster listing me as a "9". Most of the time, I feel like that rating is the reaction to my posts, but in the German sense of the word...... ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 04:05:12 PM »
How about those guys writing the book on Flynn?   ;)

Ted Kramer

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
How about those guys writing the book on Flynn?   ;)

I agree, Wayne M brings a ton to this site.
I love the info he has provided on Shinnecock.

-Ted
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:22:18 PM by Ted Kramer »

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks for the mentions.

Never thought I'd show up on this thread.

If I were Barney, I'd think someone was bucking for a free t shirt.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back