News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

tlavin

Will Tony Soprano Whack Some Trees at Garden City???
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
Now that the perfidious Phil Leotardo swallowed lead had had his pumpkin squished by a 19" Goodyear from a large SUV, our friend Tony Soprano has time to further his golf hobby.  Maybe he can whack a few trees at Garden City?

mike_malone

Re:Will Tony Soprano Whack Some Trees at Garden City???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:13:05 AM »
 Yes, Tony will turn to golf to attempt to replace his therapist. It won't work because golf drives you crazy! But it may take him years to realize that. Also, his kids won't be around the house much anymore so he'll have time.

Will he join Bayonne or Liberty ?
AKA Mayday

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »
Terry,

Only one of Tony's neighbors from Jersey is allowed on GCGC regularly

GCGC looks nothing like it did when Ran reviewed it in 2002.

The process and improvement continues.

On a related note, Oakmont looks spectacular without the trees.

I'd imagine that the wind will be more of a factor and that improved depth perception will be required.

Hopefully, the open look of the golf course will be touted and local golf clubs will follow suit.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »

GCGC looks nothing like it did when Ran reviewed it in 2002.

The process and improvement continues.

Any possibility that Ran will update the profile?  

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »
Jim Nugent,

Ran's been invited to GCGC this summer/fall, and I believe he's interested in returning and in fine tuning his review, especially the photos.

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:30:27 PM »
That's great news about Ran possibly visiting. His earlier visit and profile prompted some fantastic photos and discussion.

Here's hoping you're right about more clubs following suit on the open look and play.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 04:50:55 PM »
In season one Dr. Cusemano (the neighbor who fixed Tony up with Dr. Melfi) invites Tony to play at "the club," rather than the municipal course Tony usually prefers.  Does anyone know what actual club they played?  I think they used the same course for all their golf scenes - it didn't look like much but curious minds want to know.

What an episode last night, by the way...

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:04:21 AM »
After watching it again tonight, I'm convinced that Made In America might be the most convoluted, amazing Soprano's episode of them all. Simply brilliant. It is so interwoven throughout the entire episode, it takes a while to understand that you yourself have just had a hit put on you by David Chase. Only you didn't see him coming, just liked Tony said during the episode, You just never know when a hit is coming... He tipped us there.

You can draw so many conclusions and each and every one of them are so fascinating, beyond the smoke screen of characters introducing (or was it re-introducing themselves?) in the diner? "Who was going to hit Tony, and why?"  or "Is it just Tony's normal paranoia, which is sure to end him back into therapy, only this time with A.J.'s Psych, who Tone was sort of checking out during the episode?"

"Is it just another night out for food the Soprano's?" or "Is this where the feds finally nab Tony, lock stock and barrel--just as Agent Harris slams his hands on a desk and says, "Damn! We're going to win this thing!" (as if he was in some sort of contest with fellow FBI agents on who is going to finally nab Tony, who I would surmise is the big prize for them.)

In the end, like in life, Crime Goes On...........

redanman

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
The Sopranos: An American Family.  Just a different set of problems.

A.J will eventually run the family
Tony will win again and again - he's the cat with the 9 lives
Carmela will continue to turn the blind eye
Meadow (the Meadow-phor for the family's struggles) - couldn't park the car, over and over again, but is finding her way into the fabric of the family.

Perhaps, that was just the start.

(Tommy, I watched it again, too and slo-mo'ed the restaurant.) The future's there in many ways. It's what we want it to be or what we get when we roll the dice one more time (See below)

Let's hope that Oakmont is 10% as exciting - and not a slog-fest (sic).

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:54:13 AM »
Whodda thunk that Journey would turn out to be prophets before their time??   ;D

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:20:41 AM »
In season one Dr. Cusemano (the neighbor who fixed Tony up with Dr. Melfi) invites Tony to play at "the club," rather than the municipal course Tony usually prefers.  Does anyone know what actual club they played?  I think they used the same course for all their golf scenes - it didn't look like much but curious minds want to know.

What an episode last night, by the way...

Brian-

In one of the earliest episodes, the golf scene appeared to be Essex Fells.  I may be mistaken, as the club is in a residential area and I don't think a large production crew would've gone over very well in the immediate area.  

Terry-
  What areas of the course do you think could stand to lose more trees?  I can't think of any off the top of my head; you have trees on the perimeter of the course, which is fine, as they provide a buffer to the rest of Nassau County, and trees surrounding the maintenance facilities/pump house in the center of the course.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 09:25:46 AM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Guy Corcoran, Jr

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »
Brian, In the episode "Boca" from season I when Tony is on the tee he is dropping subtle hints regarding Uncle Junior's certain "skill" they are playing at the Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield, NJ and in the episode "Second Opinion" from the III season Furio & Tony pay a visit to Dr Kennedy in the middle of his round he was playing at Upper Montclair Golf Club in Clifton, NJ

Guy Corcoran, Jr

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:19 PM »
Brian, they also shot some scenes at Green Brook Country Club in North Caldwell, NJ. I believe that club is the one you are referring to in the episode is "A Hit is a Hit" from season I. Where Dr. Cusamano invites Tony to play golf with him and friends. My in-laws are from that area and are very familiar with the courses.  

Steve Lapper

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 02:23:36 PM »
Brian, In the episode "Boca" from season I when Tony is on the tee he is dropping subtle hints regarding Uncle Junior's certain "skill" they are playing at the Forest Hill Field Club in Bloomfield, NJ and in the episode "Second Opinion" from the III season Furio & Tony pay a visit to Dr Kennedy in the middle of his round he was playing at Upper Montclair Golf Club in Clifton, NJ

In the "Second Opinion" episode, Furio utters what many believe is the most precisely hilarious line "I no play da golf, it's a stupida f......g game!" Bingo...and hysterical!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:24:42 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Joe Bentham

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 10:36:39 AM »
"Is this where the feds finally nab Tony, lock stock and barrel--just as Agent Harris slams his hands on a desk and says, "Damn! We're going to win this thing!" (as if he was in some sort of contest with fellow FBI agents on who is going to finally nab Tony, who I would surmise is the big prize for them.)

In the end, like in life, Crime Goes On...........
Tommy--
I know this isn't a Sopranos board but you've missed the point on Agent Harris.  The "we" Harris is referring to is the Soprano crime family, which he now feels a part of.  Notice the interesting look he gets from the other agent?  He gave Phil up to Tony, he was an accomplice to murder and he knows it.  There couldn't have been a better ending IMO.....now I can move on with my life :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back