News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Re:Century: another great Westchester course
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 08:10:51 PM »
Century is a great routing with beuatiful movement in the terrain that needs to be seen in person. Its a course with great variety and character two excellent short par 4s, a great set of long holes and  of par threes  The  course requires many shaped tee shots( Not because of trees).Holes 3,8,10 and 13 are among the finest holes  in Westchester County.  The approaches are  challenging and the green complexes  are beautifully tied in.

Century is in the same league as Milwaukee as Charles Alisons greatest American  design. No bells and whistles, just CLASSIC  masterpiece.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 02:05:30 PM by mark chalfant »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2007, 11:31:26 PM »
The club has a masterplan from Gil Hanse.  Just because Gil may have mapped out the removal of many trees, does not mean that it simply happens at once.  Removing trees is a very nasty political battle that I have witnessed first hand.  I think that they have done a commendable job up to this point and am certain that the tree management is not complete.  This week's Oakmont experience should help many courses come to grips with their tree issues.  As for the 13th, there is a false front and the green is well sloped---in the afternoon round, I landed 40 feet deep into the green and had a pitch and run back up to the middle all the way left pin position.  As for the bunker work, hopefully, Gil is not to blame, but it was under his watch that the bunkers came in poorly and had to be rebuilt this past fall and spring.  They were simply rebuilt with proper drainage and faces that will not turn into a thatch farm.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 11:11:24 AM »
Robert,

Thanks for posting the terrific pics. I too am a big fan of Century's golf course. I also agree the photos are proof positive that additional tree removal is warranted. It's not even a close call.  

The scuttlebutt has it that the bunker work from 10 years ago (give or take) did not age well, which makes me wonder what a realistic expected useful life is for a bunker before it needs to be renovated. I was wondering who Century retained to do this round of bunker renovation work. To me they look quite natural except for the bright white sand.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back