News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Century: another great Westchester course
« on: June 09, 2007, 10:27:40 PM »
This club is often overshadowed by its neighbors.  However, it has rarely been torched in the US Open sectional qualifiers.  Among the many golfers i know who have played it, they always walk away saying this is a course that would be fun to play ever day.  Recently, the bunkers were rebuilt after a very disappointing rebuilding not too many years ago.  The shapes are the same, but wild fescue probably will not maintained--however, the surrounds are fescue sod.  The problems were that the original sodding was built poorly and resulted in agronomical thatch nightmares with many balls lost in the bunker faces.  In addition, the bunker bottoms became rock gardens and quite a few members were the recipients of pebble beanings from playing partners attempting to extricate themselves from the bunkers. Depths and shapes were maintained from previous rebuilding.  This is a Colt and Allison course built in 1926.

Mike_Cirba

Re:Century: another great Westchester course
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »
Robert,

Is it really as overtreed as it looks?

For instance, it looks like old Mr. Sun is having a tough time reaching the Century fairways.  

I'm guessing there's a really good course in there somewhere!  ;)  ;D

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 10:37:21 PM »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
Robert,

If it isn't 5am when you're taking those pics, I'm thinking that they should either cut some trees or issue flashlights on the first tee.  

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:43:30 PM »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 10:49:57 PM »

Oh, I get it, that's the moon and you took these pics at night!   ;D

Either that or this hole calls for driving with a wedge from the tee.  ;)

Seriously, Century is a course I've been hoping to see sometime as I love Colt/Alison courses, but it looks as though someone got a bit carried away with the Arbor Day Beautification project.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 10:57:02 PM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 11:10:28 PM »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 11:20:08 PM »
There are a few trees that need to be removed. However, a few of the old pictures in the locker room show a pretty healthy number of trees.  There has been a tree management program that is going well.  This week's tournament should give this program a boost.  The pictures fail to capture the awesome nature of the greens.  Having played this course for fun and in US Open sectionals over the years, I have developed a love affair with this course.  It's greens were very cruel on Monday--72 putts.  I still love this course in spite of the heartbreaking day.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 11:59:36 PM »
Robert,

The conditioning looks pristine. I don't think I saw a divot in all the photos. The super and the members must be doing a great job.
I'm amazed this course is not profiled here.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »
Another club with a significant place in the history of golf.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:21:16 AM »

I want to play that.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 08:39:01 AM »
Overall, the course does not get much play. Though, on weekends quite a few members will post 72 holes.  This club along with Atlantic are easily the wealthiest clubs by far in the US.  Century tries very hard to keep a low profile.  Though many members have jets, they tend to drive low key cars.  The golf cart golf bag is not sold in the pro shop.  Also, they might have had the most famous Assistant golf pro ever--though  Byron Nelson was the Asst. at Ridgewood at the same time.

wsmorrison

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 10:19:12 AM »
Thanks for posting the photos, Robert.  I passed on playing this course when I was up playing with my good friend on the Flynn course in Tarrytown, NY.  We played with a member of Century and he asked us to play 18 at his course when we finished our round.  I decided against another 18 to beat NYC traffic back to Philadelphia.  Looking at your pictures, I screwed up that decision.  Maybe I'll get another chance.  Your comment about the wealth of the membership must be right on.  The member I met is RICH, though not as rich as my friend who we were playing with  ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
And, of course, that famous assistant pro at Century was Ben Hogan. He was actually the head pro there  in 1940 and 1941.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Robert,

Thanks for taking my late-night comments in the right spirit.   :D

And...thanks for posting the pics.   I was going to start a thread recently to mention that I think a lot of the good stuff going on here in recent weeks has been due to people taking the time to post pics...from courses known, unknown, and in the case of Century, one that probably should be better known.

The last half of the pics you posted do show the course much better than the first bunch.  Still, i'm betting that it coud be improved a bunch with a chainsaw, much like Manufacturers down here (where recent tree work has made a hell of a dramatic difference), which the look of Century seems somewhat reminiscent of in places.

JMorgan

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »
Century was one of a handful of courses that very early on sealed the deal with my love for Colt/Alison.  I originally wanted to play the course only because Hogan was the pro once upon a time, and ended up looking for more C&A architecture.  

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »
I was fortunate to play it 2 years ago and it is one of my favorites.....I did not see the tree problems that some of the pictures portray.....great golf course.....If I lived in NYC I would keep my eye peeled for coupons or twilight specials where you might be able to play it....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

SPDB

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 07:45:15 PM »
Robert:
Thanks for posting. I'm playing Century for the first time
in a few weeks and these pictures are whetting my appetite.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 08:09:58 PM »
Mike

I doubt that we'll ever see twilight specials and discount coupons at Century. ;D

Wayne

Among the founding members at Century, let's see if these names ring a bell:

Kuhn. Loeb, Goldman, Sachs, Wertheim, Seligman,Schiff, Kahn,Warburg, Bache,etc.

SPDB

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 09:42:30 PM »
Quirin's writeup on Century reveals some pretty
interesting details. Evidently, Travis first surveyed the
property and remarked on the comparative absence
of trees. Quirin further comments that Colt & Alison
"were big proponents of trees."

Also interesting to note, the Club was originally
located in the Bronx where it had a 9 holer on the Long Island
Sound designed by Bendelow.

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 07:35:59 AM »
The short par 3 over water would be improved, in my mind, with the addition of fairway between the green and the water so that balls could either spin off the green or not get caught up in the rough on short approaches.  I don't know what kind of golfing membership they have, but that would be an ideal setup for a district tournament or even everyday play if they like their golf a bit more intense.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 07:53:39 AM »
Robert,

Thanks for posting, always been curious about Century. Visually Silver Spring looked more interesting? True or false on the ground?

Scott Witter

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 08:18:52 AM »
Mike: I would take your word for it regarding the trees...but the pictures surely do portray a different image...though perhaps you didn't find yourself tangled in them at all during your round?

I have to say as an observation that the condition of the bunkers, edging, lips, turf and sand is truly remarkable...some of the finest conditioned bunkers I have ever seen. :o

corey miller

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 08:37:51 AM »

Any idea who did the work at Century?  At one point Gil hanse was consulting the club and i can't imagine Gil would not recommend the removal of the five thousand trees that need to go.

Frankly, the bunker work does not look much different than that the style du jour in westchester which can be seen at Ardsley, and Westchester, and Old Oaks though perhaps these surrounds have a little less collagen.

Seems like an effort was made to make the sand "visible" for the golfer.  If that visibility is not enough, the trees not only block views of the bunkers but some trees behind the bunkers serve as a depth perception guide.

I would trade a few divots in the fairway for some trees removed and I do think part of a supers job is to attempt to influence the membership in the right direction ie.tree removal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back