News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

What Golf is Near Bandon Dunes
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:17:31 AM »
I am finally making the pilgrimage to Bandon Dunes.  My group arrives mid afternoon on Friday in North Bend and a couple of guys arrive Saturday morning.  The trip is in early Sept.  I had figured I would play the Sheep Ranch but it is closed at that time, due to water restrictions.  

What other courses are in the general area and worth seeing, if I wanted to get a bonus round in on Friday afternoon?  We are playing each of Bandon's three courses twice, so I thought something else might be interesting, if it was worthwhile.

Thanks!
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Brad Klein

Re:What Golf is Near Bandon Dunes
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »
Dave, you have to play Sandpines in Florence. It's a fascinating examplar of a certain distinct style of golf design.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 09:24:16 AM »
The new Bandon Crossings opens this summer:

www.bandoncrossings.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Wigler

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
Brad - Do you know approx. how far a drive it is to Sandpines?  Mikey and I would defintely do it.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

David Wigler

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 09:27:39 AM »
The new Bandon Crossings opens this summer:

www.bandoncrossings.com

Steve,

Have you heard anything about this.  I must admit, the picture on the intro site to the website looks like bad Florida architecture (Not that I want to judge anything by one picture).  If it is good, it sure is convenient.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 09:37:15 AM »
David

I think there was thread about Bandon Crossings here awhile ago. I don't know much else other than that and what's on the website.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 09:53:24 AM »
David, Florence is 45 miles or about an hour the opposite direction of Bandon.  In September the RV traffic should be down otherwise it could be an hour and a half.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 11:06:02 AM »
This is one of the few times I will say Brad what are you thinking? Brad did say that as diplomatically as possible. lol Wigs go straight to Bandon Dunes, do not pass go and play from sun up to sun down. There is no course as good as you will have there. I cannot get enough of any of them. I have to be dragged off the property when the trip is over. Again, do not stop to buy myrtlewood, booze, food etc. Just go straight to the course tee your ball up and play till the sun says it is time to drink, eat and go to sleep. The sun will remind you 10 hours later to start all over again. Just say to yourself what would Bo do? Bo would play 54 plus a day and never leave the field of play or practice area.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 11:09:17 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 11:09:58 AM »
This is one of the few times I will say Brad what are you thinking? Brad did say that as diplomatically as possible. lol Wigs go straight to Bandon Dunes, do not pass go and play from sun up to sun down. There is no course as good as you will have there. I cannot get enough of any of them. I have to be dragged off the property when the trip is over. Again, do not stop to buy myrtlewood, booze, food etc. Just go straight to the course tee your ball up and play till the sun says it is time to drink, eat and go to sleep. The sun will remind you 10 hours later to start all over again.

Tiger,

I was thinking the same thing, but haven't played Sandpines so I didn't want to comment on that one.  I will 2nd this one though that once you see the property and courses, why go  anywhere else, with the exception of a 1/2 day jaunt over to the sheep ranch...

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »
Dave:

What I suggest for that extra round is to play your favorite course one more time, but all the way back, and see how good your short game is on all the greens you can't reach and the difference in your score and how different the course plays.

Another fun thing to do, is to play the course with only 4 clubs, and see how you do. You have to manufacture alot of shots that way and it is a hoot to do it with a group of relatively good players, shows how versatile you game is.

Lots of fun,

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
Dave,

You never know what the weather holds, I'd take another chance at Pacific - It rained pretty hard one of my rounds there and it is nice to have a spare.  

Or maybe Trails, as you did say that C&C would never take that job.  :)

If you did play sandpines, it would only further entrench you in the treehouse - not a bad thing I suppose.

Cheers

Cary,
Dave can hit it pleanty well.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 11:18:36 AM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 11:20:49 AM »
Go to the Bandon practice area which includes a 9 hole course.

You will have more fun once on the property and you really won't want to leave.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »
I consider the Sheep Ranch to be part of Bandon Dunes even if it is owned by a different entity. Sandpines is Rees on his worst day. Wigs let me put it this way. You could only wish Rees had done that same work on the Buckeye Scarlet course. I played there before BD was open. It was a low point in the trip. I stopped by to ride it again on the way to Astoria last summer, after I HAD to leave BD. It still was the same course.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 11:27:36 AM »
Dave,

I have played Dan Hixson's Links at Mosses Pointe and found it much more interesting than Sandpines. If I were you, I would take a chance on Bandon Crossings.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jim Colton

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
This is one of the few times I will say Brad what are you thinking? Brad did say that as diplomatically as possible. lol Wigs go straight to Bandon Dunes, do not pass go and play from sun up to sun down. There is no course as good as you will have there. I cannot get enough of any of them. I have to be dragged off the property when the trip is over. Again, do not stop to buy myrtlewood, booze, food etc. Just go straight to the course tee your ball up and play till the sun says it is time to drink, eat and go to sleep. The sun will remind you 10 hours later to start all over again. Just say to yourself what would Bo do? Bo would play 54 plus a day and never leave the field of play or practice area.

I agree with this.  I fell into the Sandpines trap on the way out to Bandon last summer.  Looking back, I much, much rather have one more round at any course at Bandon then 36 at Sandpines.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 11:34:44 AM »
Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails. ;)

I agree with Mr. Benham.  If Sheep Ranch isn't open, I wouldn't bother leaving the resort.  Play the 3 courses as many times as you can.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 11:40:34 AM »
Dave, put me down with Mike, Tim and the others who say just get to the resort and stay put.  I'm telling you man once you are there you won't want to leave.  And I know you're talking about pre-arrival golf, but still, it really will be best to just get there and either play the par three course or practice or who knows, maybe they squeeze you in on one of the main three.  Heck, worst comes to worst you could always check out what's what on the Old MacDonald site... or sit and enjoy a fine Oregon brew and a Grandma Thayer's meatloaf sandwich.....

Just get to Bandon and it will all sort itself out.

TH

ps - bummer Sheep Ranch isn't available though.  Oh well.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 11:52:15 AM »
Has anyone tried a solo trip to Bandon?  

I have a trial that starts June 19 in Salem that will go for 2-3 days.  I'm thinking of driving over when it is done to play for the remainder of the week.  They have said that it would be no problem to get me on the course as a single.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 11:54:17 AM »
Tom,

Why isn't the Sheep Ranch available?  I forgot about that one -that would be the ultimate practice session.  All day -the place to yourself- hitting every shot known to man.  This one gets right to the answer:  if you a re looking to strictly practice links golf and get as many shots as possible in the shortest amount of time -line up the Sheep Ranch for 6 hours.  If you need the guy's #- I have it.  To really top it off, take that practice over to Bandon/Pac and make sure you play the same course twice in the same day for the mental practice of what it's like to be on a par 3 you were on a few hours earlier, potentially having 3-4 club difference.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 12:00:49 PM »
I agree with Tom 100%.

My firends struggle with this one as we travel quite often to Bandon from Seattle.  My answer lies right here:  go directly to Bandon, do not play anything else, and get as much golf in as possible.  Everything else absolutely pales in comparison.  Not only the golf, but the entire experience.  

The only place I would play (not that there aren't other great courses on the way) is Eugene CC.  Different classic golf en route to the two best sister courses in the United States.  

JohnV

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 12:03:10 PM »
Coos Country Club back up in Coos Bay has a very quirky 9 holes designed by H. Chandler Egan in 1923.  There is a second 9 that was built in 1998 that I've never seen.

Here is their website: http://www.scod.com/ccc/

It is 20 minutes from Bandon Dunes

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 12:04:32 PM »
David,
Ask this question again in August after someone has played Bandon Crossings. The resort par 3 course is the only other decent option. The best of the rest is Coos CC, which is semi-private 18. The other options, none of which I have played,  within a NINETY minute drive time each way
Forest Hills (Reedsport) 9 holes http://www.theworldlink.com/stayplay/reedsport.html
Sunset Bay (Charleston) 9 holes
http://www.theworldlink.com/stayplay/charleston.html
Coos CC (Coos Bay) 18 holes
http://www.theworldlink.com/stayplay/coosbay.html
also Bandon Face Rock, Kentuck, Cedar Bend, Coquille Elks
are close by.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »
Tom,

Why isn't the Sheep Ranch available?  I forgot about that one -that would be the ultimate practice session.  All day -the place to yourself- hitting every shot known to man.  This one gets right to the answer:  if you a re looking to strictly practice links golf and get as many shots as possible in the shortest amount of time -line up the Sheep Ranch for 6 hours.  If you need the guy's #- I have it.  To really top it off, take that practice over to Bandon/Pac and make sure you play the same course twice in the same day for the mental practice of what it's like to be on a par 3 you were on a few hours earlier, potentially having 3-4 club difference.

Mike - I believe we'd all agree SR is the best bet.  But read Dave's post...

I had figured I would play the Sheep Ranch but it is closed at that time, due to water restrictions.  

Oh well....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
83 miles away is Salmon Run in Brookings, OR. Anyone play that?
The coastal scenery Bandon to Brookings is outstanding.
www.salmonrun.net
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 12:18:09 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Wagner

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Got it on the SR.

Has anyone played Ocean Dunes (www.oceandunes.com).?  It's in Florence near Sandpines and I've heard good things-  nice dunes holes with quality shot values.

I hate to even bring it up when talking about Bandon - I could talk about it all day!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back