News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Del Vecchio

Flog in a nutshell
« on: June 01, 2007, 03:35:19 PM »
Here is the PGATour.com play-by-play for Bubba Watson on the 6th hole:

Play by Play for the Par 4, 447 yards 6th Hole
Shot 1 345 yds to right rough, 106 yds to hole
Shot 2 110 yds to green, 11 ft to hole
Shot 3 in the hole

Bomb it to the rough, high-spin wedge from the rough, make a putt.  Easy game.

Brent Hutto

Re:Flog in a nutshell
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 03:45:26 PM »
Here is the PGATour.com play-by-play for Bubba Watson on the 6th hole:

Play by Play for the Par 4, 447 yards 6th Hole
Shot 1 345 yds to right rough, 106 yds to hole
Shot 2 110 yds to green, 11 ft to hole
Shot 3 in the hole

Bomb it to the rough, high-spin wedge from the rough, make a putt.  Easy game.

So what score would be more appropriate for someone who hits his tee shot 345 yards, gets his wedge shot within four yards of perfect from the rough and makes an 11 foot putt? Double bogey?

Let's not lose track of how just difficult it is to hit a ball 345 yards...even with a big-ass driver. I don't know anyone who can do it more than once in a blue moon.

Or how hard it is to get your distance correct out of the rough...even with a 60-degree wedge with square grooves. The best wedge players I know can't do that every time.

And it's always an easy game when those 11-footers are going in.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:48:14 PM »
In all fairness to a fellow Hillbilly, I find that play-by-play more compelling than "I meece, I meece, I meece, I make."

Bubba's Rule

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 03:53:24 PM »
Brent, it's obvious that Bubba's skills are mighty.

I'm just unhappy that his skill set is the one that is dominating professional golf now, thanks to technology.  Uh, and his prodigous workouts, too.

Certainly, Bubba would be one of the longest hitters on tour with any era's equipment.  But the difference between his average (314 yards) and the overall tour's average (285 yards) is too big.

And yes, he made an 11-foot putt, which is the key.  But if he's hitting a 106-yard wedge from the rough with diamond-cut grooves, he's going to get it closer (on average) than the average player, who's hitting a 9-iron from 146 yards.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 03:54:46 PM »
PS  Check out the driving statistics from 1996:

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/1996/101.html

Only four players averaged 285 yards or longer:  John Daly, John Adams, Fred Couples, and Davis Love III.

Now that's the average drive.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 04:06:19 PM »
Bubba (a NW Florida boy and a bit of a hillbilly indeed, he's a pleasure to talk to) can flat out PLAY.   Yesterday he was in the fairway bunker on #18 - in the furrows I'd guess - and hit 9 iron from 160 yards to 3 feet.  Now that he's won and gotten over the missed 3'er to lose earlier, he will be dangerous with that incredible length and touch combination.

He's kinda like a sober John Daly....... ;D

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »
Bill, I think you're referring to Boo Weekley, who won the Heritage after missing a 3-footer to win the Honda.

Bubba hasn't won yet.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:09:02 PM »
Ouch, you are right.  Boo and Bubba are both incredibly long hitting guys from the same high school in Milton Florida, and sometimes it's hard to tell them apart.... :P

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 09:36:17 PM »
I'm seeing a disconnect here.  I understand that Bubba can hit it a country mile, but I'm not seeing him win any tournaments.  Until he gets a short game he'll just be "oooing" and "ahhing" the crowd, but nothimg more.

Sure you can say that Phil, Tiger, Ernie, etc are long bombers, but they look more like Corey Pavin next to this guy...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:37:05 PM by Kalen Braley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back