News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Grateful Dunes
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 07:17:10 AM »
Rich,

We were quoting Dead songs.  Mine was from Blues for Allah just to make clear that I didn't write it.  I was surprised by the general lack of asphalt in the Sand Hills.  Given the wide open spaces concrete must be easier to manufacture and transport.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 07:44:51 AM »
John,

You sound positive on this development but doesn't adding a course cater to the "hit-n-runners"?

Mark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 07:54:24 AM »
Mark,

No,  I have tried to not include resorts such as Bandon in the hit and run camp.   As a matter of fact it should reduce the windshield time per round ratio as it would require at least a full day at the destination.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 08:04:54 AM »
Apparently in Holyoke,
There is a road
No simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone

Jim Franklin

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
I am not a big Grateful Dead fan (although Jerry and I share the same birthday), but I do like the name Grateful Dunes. A tribute to a band he enjoys and a tip of the hat to the people that come visit. I, for one, would be grateful to stay and play.
Mr Hurricane

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 12:04:23 PM »
I just wanna see a big murderous par-4 17th called "Morning Dew" and a par-5 18th stunner called "Sugar Magnolia."

My buddy and I can't decide...should 10 be "Scarlet->Fire" or "China->Rider?"  Of course "Standing on the moon" is a good choice too...somewhere in the back nine...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:26:49 PM by Jay Flemma »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
Rich,

We were quoting Dead songs.  Mine was from Blues for Allah just to make clear that I didn't write it.  I was surprised by the general lack of asphalt in the Sand Hills.  Given the wide open spaces concrete must be easier to manufacture and transport.

John

The Dead songs had lyrics too?  I saw them 3-4 times in the late 60's and you could have fooled me....

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 12:21:56 PM »
I hope they get a better name!  reminds me of Old Macdonald :P

Paul

Just to be a contrary sod and hopefully wind up JakaB some more, I don't care for the Grateful Dead (snoozefest tunes) nor the name Grateful Dunes.  Like Old Mac, the name is a bit gimmicky and difficult for me take seriously.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

RJ_Daley

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 12:40:03 PM »
About the only thing I get of the above is the haiku...  ::) :-\

Oh yeah, and I absolutely 'get' the O'neal's intentions.  Providing an open to public sample of the kind of golf that is possible to achieve there can only enhance the greater investment and prestige of the grand flagship facility, IMHO.  

Frankly, I would have thought that a similar public/private model would have developed up at SHGC, what with all the land and extra holes already generally routed and known.  I think that it would have been a big gamble, and perhaps the developer there at his age was not inclined for such another risky undertaking (one leap of faith such as SHGC may be enough for a lifetime!)  But, had it been done around 2000 or so, I wonder if we would have seen DR come about.  

As stated above, a public prairie dunes style course - easier to negotiate facility - that 'allows carts' is a great alternative to those members that may be staying an extended time and want to have a bit of variety to 'add' to the experience of being out there.  As Adam said, those not in battle shape or getting a bit older and having a bit of pain to walk more than 18, would have a great alternative and still maintain the flavor of golf they came all the way out there to enjoy.  

I'm not sure how much the alternative public course would go towards stimulating new memberships at the flagship private, however.  Over the years, those that regularly go and love Wild Horse probably have not been so stimulated to apply for membership at SHGC or DR because it may be more market segment than desire.  That may be a function of simply having the $$ or not.  Simnilarly, I wonder how many folk out of the Denver area that have been going up to Bayside at the Lake, who particularly have experienced this style of golf as found particularly on the front 9, have lined up for Ballyneal.  Perhaps, more than I guess...

But, the incredibly generous effort to offer the less well healed - but equally passionate golfer, the chance to experience a unique style that this prairie dunes golf can offer, is just a display of real developer commitment to the game and its followers.  They have awards for those around the game that are pioneers and movers and shakers to keep the game strong.  Who better than the O'neals to be recognized as such?  

As for the name... I don't care if they call it Sue.  Many of the locals never refer to the actual name.  They just say, are you playing at Gothenburg or McCook, or Holyoke today?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Daniel_Wexler

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2007, 01:23:58 PM »
Dr. MacKenzie partnered with....Robert Hunter.

Jerry Garcia partnered with....Robert Hunter.

I've always wondered...  :)

DW

Dan Moore

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 05:59:21 PM »
They could name one of the holes "Playing in the Sand."  

I assume it would have many pot bunkers.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mike Hendren

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »
Thank goodness he's not a Skynyrd fan like yours truly.  Might need to go with LSD for short.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Gordon Oneil

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2007, 04:33:23 PM »
Golfin' - got my clubs strapped on
Keep Golfin' - just don't shout "You da' man"
Whenever - I can make some time
I just keep Golfin' on

CHORUS

Sometimes the ball rolls well for me
Other times not so favorably
But lately, when I step on the tee
Seems like every hole plays into the wind

Excuse me fellas, gotta run and enjoy this flashback I'm having...

Tim Bert

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2007, 04:02:58 PM »
This course will be a blessing to the area and to any golfers willing to make the trip.  The area and the existing golf course are incredible, and opening up a second course to a wider audience should be applauded.

Thank you, Mr. O'Neal.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back