News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re:CPC's 18th - What Might Have Been Part II
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 05:57:56 PM »
Huck,

Of course it wouldn't work, but us pundits love two-dimensional golf courses, do we not?

Can't you just see a nice right-hand bunker or two cut into the hillside about 30 yards short of the green that merely needs to be carried to feed a ball off the hillside (think tee shot at the 6th) and another beauty front left with just enough footpath below to circumvent the green from the 16th tee (isn't that what one has from the 17th tee around the 16th green?)  

Looking at the Coastal Commission's web-site, there's a nice little flat spot just up from the 16th tee that would do the trick. :)

I think the real reason the Good Doctor didn't route the 18th this way is that nobody would ever have ventured out to play the first 15 - they'd merely play the 16th through 18th 6 times and call it a day. :)

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 06:04:02 PM »
 ;D ;D

Whatever you say, my friend.

But I'm sticking with "it's better as it is".  I'd hate to be standing on 16 tee ducking the missles coming from the Hendrenized 18 fairway.  Would hardhats be issued?

;D

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »
Huck, you know I love Cypress Point Club dearly, but with the exception of the 15th, doesn't every hole on the homeward nine at Cypress Point Club turn right?

If I may be permitted to blaspheme yet again, look at those trees on 17 in the aerial above and tell me that's a great golf hole.  Look closely next time you're there folks - I believe they've planted a few young replacements in that fairway cluster.  At least they had the good sense to remove Mackenzie's jungle bunkers.

You will cry.
You will shout.
Still you can't get out.
This is the forest of no return.
-Babes In Toyland
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:31:06 PM by Michael_Hendren »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »
On page 52 of Geoff Shackleford's book Mackenzie appears to be contemplating placing the 18th green in the precise location depicted above.  Amazing!

Mike

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »
Michael:

Of course you realize that rather proves my point... Mackenzie contemplated it, and for whatever reason (likely those cited by me  ;) ), rejected it.

But it remains fun speculation.  And I hadn't thought of the right-leaning back nine. The holes are all so great, it didn't seem to matter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back