News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re:GCA Evans Scholarship Fundraiser at Chambers Bay
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2007, 03:46:20 AM »
Having savored this past Sunday for a couple of days now, I am ready to discuss the entire Chambers Bay experience....

Firstly, RTJII associate, Jay Blasi, is a stand-up guy and tribute to the firm.  I was lucky enough to watch him slice and dice his way to a 70 that was nearly a 67.  Even when I was -1 under three holes into the back nine, Jay was -2 having birdied both 11 and 12!!!  

Moreover, it takes a family to bring a golf course to fruition, and Jay gave numerous accolades to his mentors in the RTJII firm, a classy thing to do.  While I sensed he is VERY proud of his work at Chambers Bay, having spent the most time on site, he values and respects his elders in the organization.  I forsee a bright career for this guy....not only is he passionate about his work but he's uber professional, approachable, a good public speaker and politically savvy.  Where I come from we call guys like him "real."  

And he's only 28!

Thank you for everything, Jay, how often in your life do you get to play with the designer???  And thanks to Nyk Pike and the rest of the Kemper crew.  They put on a real special day for us.  I even kept my bag our lunches came in! The silver dollar sized ball marks we each received after our round are fabulous keep sakes.  My buddies are already clammoring for it.

It was so special to be a part of the preview, I hesitate to say a bad word about the golf course.  As someone who loves wild and wooly golf courses, Chambers Bay is an awesome ride.  The driving game is fun, the greens offer much intrigue.  While a teeny bit unsophisticated, IMHO, the routing is solid.  It changes direction at every turn, continuing to challenge the player to deal with the wind in a different manner.  The course has holes bending right, left, uphill and down.  There is flexibility....reachable par fives, a drivable par 4 and some absolutely brutish two shotters in #1, #8 and #11.  As far as variety goes, the RTJII group hit a home run.

If someone had a gun to my head, I would say I am not thrilled with the 8th hole.  Even while looking at the routing before visiting the site, I wondered why that one hole was on the other side of the driving range?  I can well imagine there is some reason but #8 kinda put me to sleep.  Standing on the edge of that drop off to the right of the fairway nearly gave me vertigo!

I liked the finishing stretch, #18 is a stern closer.  Nobody has mentioned yet the lofty aspirations the golf course has, they are talking about major tournaments.  Many of those things necessary to hosting a big event (tents, bleachers, gathering areas, etc...) were considered and integrated into the design.  The golf course has a public path running right through the middle of it, kinda different, but well conceived.  Only the rudest of people will interfere with your golf experience.  

A few folks have lamented the one shotters.  3 of the 4 are downhillers, but they retain enough variety to satisfy this fella.  One must remember the tees at Chambers Bay are super flexible.  We could have played #15 at 110 yards, but didn't.  From the backs, #17 would play as a real cool 200 yarder, IMHO.  I encourage the greenskeepers to mix up the yardages, giving a nice variety of holes.  

As Jim Adkinson mentioned, the bunkers have a lot of work to go.  Considering we played from mats, lies didn't really matter much.  However, once they open for normal play, the hazards are going to have to be cleaner.  Professional golfers are not going to tolerate some of the bad lies I encountered.  I know going into a hazard is suppose to be a bad place, but not every single one of them should equate to an unplayable lie.

Visually, Chambers reminds me of Arcadia and Whistling Straits.  It played slow as molasses for us but we knew the turf was pretty shaggy.  Once this course gets fast and firm, it is going to be a blast.  I don't think the finish work is quite as sophisticated as say Pacific Dunes, it feels slightly more manufactured than say the Bandon courses.  But I don't view this as a negative because the RTJII people haven't been practicing this type of thing.  Really and truly?  How can they expect to compete when it comes to making artificial features indistinguishable from nature herself when they don't practice doing such?  Heritage (the construction co. who built the course) is not Bunker Hill, Hanse, Bradley, Urbina et al and it shows....but only to the snobbiest of gca junkies....

I wholeheartedly recommended Chambers Bay to anyone I talk to.  I think it is awesome.....probably the best course in Washington.  It is only going to get more beautiful too, as the land begins to recover from the jolt of new construction.

The course captures the spirit of golf, it stirs your soul and leaves you looking forward to the next time you can come back and tackle it again!  I eagerly await making a return visit and see how she has grown.              

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:52:07 AM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jordan Wall

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »
 There is flexibility....reachable par fives, a drivable par 4 and some absolutely brutish two shotters in #1, #8 and #11.  

Michael,

Do you mean #7?

#8 is a big enough par-5 as it is..

RJ_Daley

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2007, 03:38:28 PM »
Jordan, I'd bet he did mean 7 not 8.  I really liked 7 as I said above or on other thread.  We should excuse Mike Dugger because I think he really wrote a very smart and observant overview of the course I also thought I saw.

But I don't view this as a negative because the RTJII people haven't been practicing this type of thing.  Really and truly?  How can they expect to compete when it comes to making artificial features indistinguishable from nature herself when they don't practice doing such? Heritage (the construction co. who built the course) is not Bunker Hill, Hanse, Bradley, Urbina et al and it shows....but only to the snobbiest of gca junkies....

Yes, RTJJr probably hasn't gotten the nod to construct on sites like BallyNeal, Bandon, Valentine Prairie Club, WildHorse, Bayside, etc.  Those are very natural sites.  Chambers is simply not in the least a comparable natural site.  Yet, the CB crew with the archtect team's oversight,  did a fantastic job of "emulating" what one would look for in those afore mentioned natural sites and terrain.  Thus, Heritage and the designers must be given very high accolades for producing by emmulation the amazing contouring that appears and feels like the ultimate natural sand hill, dunesland courses mentioned and associated with the list of stellar course shapers and routers.

I really don't see how CB would not be chose in the coming years for prestigious events.  It has everything going for it.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »
Jordan

Yeah, indeed I did mean to say #7.  And 6 kicked my butt too, that is a very narrow entrance into that green.  I don't have that much game....

RJ

Thx for having my back.  In no way do I mean to say the Heritage/RTJII team did not do a fantastic job emulating nature.  The pseudo-natural blends into the turfable golf corridors spendidly.  The rugged bunker edges are top notch.

Chambers rocked.  I think everyone relishes a return visit.  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jordan Wall

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2007, 11:38:02 PM »
Jordan

I don't have that much game....

...says the guy who shoots a solid 41 on the back with a birdie from the top of a dune..
 ;)

I agree with you, Chambers is an awesome track and I cant wait for a return visit.
Because I haven't played everything in WA, I can completely say this is the best course in the state, but I liked it better than Seattle CC, Sahalee, TC, and Aldarra so out of the WA courses I have played it is my favorite.  I dont say that because I am excited due to just playing it or because I played it really well (I didnt), but I dont think any course in the state can compare with the par-4's, or par-5's for the matter, and definitely not the views.  Its a top notch course for sure.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2007, 11:46:23 PM »
Michael, RJ
The construction group is Heritage Links. I checked their website and recent projects include Liberty National and the renovation at Champions.

RJ, Slagbert and I had our hats off because we were inside and eating dinner.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2007, 12:51:17 AM »
RJ, Slagbert and I had our hats off because we were inside and eating dinner.

Wow, that Bob H. weilds a ridiculous amount of fashionista power.  And, to see that the youthful Jordan had that pink shirt tucked in... well what is next, Tiger stops spitting on greens?  ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2007, 12:52:55 AM »
Just a few more from the play that day...

#3 - Yes, this is the Jordan Wall!

#5B - Wish this was my swing...

#5C

#6 w/ 7 Tee

#6 - The Monty Swing  :P

#6 - Yes, I really liked this hole.

#8 - A very cool tee spot just behind and left of this shot. It was really attached to the 7th green.

#10b

#10c

#14 - Time to pose for a picture...

#14b

#16b

#17b

A lot of great things have been said already. I'll try to post some thoughts later, but wanted to get these up while the ideas were fresh for all who played.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Scott Weersing

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2007, 01:09:09 AM »
I sure like the photos of no. 5 and no. 7 because of the amazing views. The view on No. 5 can be distracting while on No. 7, it seems intimidating to drive over the waste area. No. 7 reminds me of No. 14 at Rustic Canyon.

There seems to be a lot of room between holes.

Which is the best designed hole? Which is just a connecting hole?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 01:09:24 AM »
Jeff, if I were management of CB, I'd have you hired for the publicity photos.  Very good stuff.  I hope you return when the rough area fescues are mature by end of summer.  It only gets better and better from here.  The shaping work really stands out on the photos.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2007, 01:58:45 AM »
Which is the best designed hole? Which is just a connecting hole?

#8 is the connecting hole. The rest are the best holes.  ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2007, 10:57:35 AM »
#14 - Time to pose for a picture...

Jeff Doerr on the right with his guest Chris Rogers, GM at the Reserve Vineyards in Oregon on the left.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jordan Wall

« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »
Garland,

Chris shot 34  :o on the back nine.

Jeff and Chris were great playing partners.

Those pictures remind me of how great #6 was.
It was a good sign to see the ground game alive, as Jeff got up and down with a putter from 45 yards on that hole..

Ari Techner

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2007, 02:37:37 AM »
Garland,

I am more inclined to agree with your original assessment.  I think that if there is a weak hole it is 8 and it is definitely a connector.  The green is interesting and the views are spectacular.  Maybe after some more play we will see the strategy that was intended.  

All in all the more I thought about it the more excited I am to come back.  This is a great golf course and a real asset to Pierce County.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2007, 10:40:52 AM »
When I first viewed the course from the walking path above it in December, I met a gentleman that had toured the course. His favorite hole was #8. I didn't ask him why, but I suspect it may be like #17 at Sawgrass. DANGER! A hole that can cause you to rack up some pretty high numbers (or where the fans can watch train wrecks) are thought to be good.

Wait 'til he gets out there a few times and goes over the edge a few times. It would be interesting to get his opinion then. ;)

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2007, 11:25:02 PM »
Any news out there from Chambers Bay now that it is open?

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2007, 11:42:52 PM »
Chambers Bay will get a good test later this year when it is the venue for the PAC10-Big10 Challenge, which features the top men golf squads from both conferences.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 12:01:30 AM »
Any news out there from Chambers Bay now that it is open?

Yea, caddied there twice yesterday.

Pace of play was good, but a lot of people stopped for views frequently throughout the course.  Both people I caddied for agreed the course was a good walk but nothing that people would consider too severe to not come back for.  Honestly, though, out of all the 36 hole loops I've done, this was the hardest, physically.  I had a blast though and will do it again sometime shortly!!

I can say with honesty that caddying at a private club has its benefits as some of the caddies were a little, umm, different, but thats fine.  The course itself trumps all other courses I have played, say for the Plantation at Kapalua, and it may even be better than that.  Its an unreal course.  I wish I had taken a photo from the top of #10 and #1's dune.  Awesome!

It's simply a fantastic course which will surely gain national recognition and hopefully hold a big event someday..!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 12:11:43 AM »
Jordan,

Would you know if the course was completely booked the first day? Was the weather near perfect like it was here in the Portland area?

Did you witness anyone driving #12?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2007, 12:15:43 AM »
Garland,

Its booked 30 days out, as far as tee times are allowed to be made, until almost 5:30 each night.

I saw #12 driven.  For a birdie.
Still, #12 will suffer from a collection area which will have a huge amount of divots.
Great green though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:15:58 AM by Jordan Wall »

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2007, 12:32:32 AM »
Jordan, What was the pace of play?  I saw groups on the seventh tee after 7PM.  I also heard a horror story of a seven hour round during one of the preview events.

I will say this to the group who was here in May, the course has already begun to mature.  Although some of the cat tracks etc are still visible the fescues are beginning to be taller and have begun to fill in.  

I stood above the 13th for three or four groups and not one group went through without hitting a ball up into the left hand junk above the 13th.  Then it was quite a struggle to get out of there.  I would guess that that area will get a lot of wear and will need some help to reduce erosion.  Also it would seem that will be a bottleneck as groups wait to tee off on 14.  

One final note is on the "home course'

http://www.thehomecourse.com

which will open on the 29th.  I was there again today and am still impressed by the quality of the layout.  While not as spectacular as Chambers it provides a great second stop while in the area.  
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:33:56 AM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Jordan Wall

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2007, 10:09:36 PM »
Cos,

About 5 hours.
Last tee time was 5:50.

That 7 hour round is questionable, imo.  I doubt that happened, but then again I wasn't there.

One thing which is a plus is that the people I looped for were loving the course itself, without too much mention, actually, of the views.  Its a great course.

*edit*
As a bonus to opening day I walked in the pro shop to say hi to Nyk and Mr. Jay Blasi is there too!  That was a little surprising at first, but not when I really think about it.  Nonetheless, it was cool to see Jay again and say hi.  Same with Nyk, he's a great guy and I'm sure Chambers Bay is more than happy to call him their head pro -- I would be.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 10:17:21 PM by Jordan Wall »

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2007, 12:49:09 AM »
Jordan,

Your reports are appreciated and interesting.

I agree that any member of this website would be blown away by the place. Problem is we all want you to caddy for us. Take care and hope to see you soon!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back