News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Richie Valentine......
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
.....Merion's famous former super who followed his father Joe which extended the Valentine superintendency at Merion to something like 70 years has passed away.

Both of them were hugely significant to the history and evolution of American golf argronomy and golf course maintenance.

Thanks for all the times and all the laughs, Richie.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 01:14:01 PM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

Re:Richie Valentine......
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »
I just saw that Tom started this thread, so I took mine down.

Rest in Peace, Richie Valentine.

Tom Paul just informed me that Richie Valentine, longtime superintendent at Merion Golf Club and son of the legendary Joe Valentine, passed away yesterday from a heart attack.  While battling health problems for sometime now, Richie's joyful spirit never failed him or his friends and family.  He was a talented superintendent and a wonderful source of information for Tom and I as we compiled documentation for the architectural evolution of Merion Golf Club.

Richie Valentine followed in his father Joe's footstep.  Joe Valentine began working at Merion during construction and took over as course superintendent in 1918, following William Flynn.  Richie attended Penn State College and worked at Merion for many years, taking over from his father as superintendent in 1963 and retired in 1990.  The Valentines gave 72 years worth of service to Merion Golf Club and left behind a legacy of outstanding contributions to agronomy and the club.

You're right, Tom.  He was a very funny and caring man and will be missed.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »
Somehow, I think Merion just lost another key element of it's past.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 01:45:22 PM »
You know something TommyN, there were quite a few similarities personality-wise between Richie Valentine and you. I don't know whether I ever told you that. If you want me to explain it more I will. I can't remember if you ever met him.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »
Pretty well. They named the turfgrass research plots after Joe Valentine.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 03:28:24 AM »
Tom,
Unfortunately, I never got to meet Richie, but after hearing the stories from you, Bill Jones and others, I'm afraid to say I erred in not going out of my way to meet him. It would have been well worth the plane fare.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:10:46 AM »
Another tribute to Richie was his ability to stay within his budget.  For example, in 1985 his budget was $450,250 for two courses.  He spent $433,134.

We will miss you, old friend.

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 10:32:54 AM »
The thing about Richie that no one could miss is he was incredibly round and he was a real talker.

It didn't seem like he was so much fat as just incredibly round and man could he talk.

If you asked him a quesiton he'd preface the answer with about 37 minutes of jokes and stories, chattering and giggling the whole time but the remarkable thing is he didn't forget the question and after about a half hour he'd answer it even though what he'd said before that might have been something else altogether.

It seems like those who worked with him say that his catch-all solution to anything at all to do with agronomy or agronomic problems was to just topdress it. If someone lays some flowers on his grave a year from now they may hear him chatter and giggle; "Will you throw some sand topdressing on the turf on top of me, for Christ's Sake?"

And I guess it could be said that Richie's style of golf course maintenance was just practicality.

Scott Anderson mentioned yesterday that one time Richie lost some turf on his greens during a tournament so he told his crew to just sprinkle grass clippings on the green and keep it watered and nobody would probably notice.  ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 11:36:34 AM »
I always think of what Willie has told me/us about how good Merion looked in 1981. (for the US Open)

This could be a perfect example for the Golf Architect Lemmings of how good a golf course can evolve through proper maintenance practices, albeit not so much seeking perfection, but working with what they had that was imperfect and rough at the edges which is where the entire perfection existed.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 11:48:53 AM »
You should see what Merion East looks like right now (or did before we got a huge thunderstorm and a lot of water last night).

It had that "light green sheen" on all the playable areas and the roughs (that are now farther out on most holes) looked wispy and natural.

I know it is consitutionally impossible for the most ardent "Merion Bunker project" critics to ever admit it but those bunker surrounds now look like they've been there evolving for about a hundred years.

To me they look ultra rugged and natural even though I sure will admit they don't look like any bunker surrounds Merion ever had before (which frankly was three different looks over the years and now four different looks).

I don't believe those bunker surrounds will see any mowing for the rest of the year.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »
Yes, TP - Tommy N has often hit the good notes !  As Richie often did, after a fashion.

Seeing Kittleman and Valentine having lunch on the porch, day after day, discussing how the course should be set up for the next event, or whatever - makes memories come alive.

Then Kittleman will arrive a little early some morning, and see a fly mower trimming the surrounds of a bunker, call Richie, and quiet will respond.

What a team !

wsmorrison

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 09:14:51 PM »
Matt Shaffer sent me the funeral arrangements.

Viewing:

McConaghy Funeral Home 7 – 9 PM Wednesday, May 30th
328W Lancaster Ave

Funeral:

Our Lady of Good Council, Thursday, May 31srt (viewing at 9 AM, mass at 10 AM)
31 Pennswood Rd.
Bryn Mawr

Bill,

If you're going to the funeral, please let me know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back