News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Best Rain Suit for Father's day
« on: May 04, 2007, 09:11:20 AM »
As recommended by Golf Digest/Index, they have a rain suit that costs $540 for the jacket and $450 for the slacks + taxes

www.galvingreen.com ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Chris Cupit

Re:Best Rain Suit for Father's day
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »
Sunderland has a new "Whispersoft" suit--don't know the $$$ but it is incredible--feels like you not wearing a rainsuit and it's very quiet when you swing--no swoosh sound.

David Sneddon

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
Sun-Mountain has dropped its' Gore-Tex suit(s) in favour of its' own proprietary fabric - Rainflex.  It is suppsed to be as good or better than Gore-Tex, offering wind-resistance and being waterproof.  Excellent rprice point, around $300US for jacket and pants.

I've heard from a couple of owners who state that the suit did indeed keep them dry, however they weren't experiencing a Scottish 40mph wind driving the rain.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

james soper

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 09:57:22 AM »
zero restriction also does the trick.

KBanks

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
Has anyone tested a Category 5 rainsuit?

Ken

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 10:01:30 AM »
I've got Adidas rain pants and a Nike pullover jacket. Combined, I probably spent $90. Keeps me bone dry.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 10:05:51 AM »
zero restriction also does the trick.

Thats what I have.....I work in in more than I play but...jus sayin
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

Sean Leary

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:20:05 AM »

Ken

I had 2 that both leaked in a normal rain after 2months or so.

Bombproof, Sun ICE.

sprinkle proof, Rainflex for me..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:20:46 AM by Sean Leary »

David Sneddon

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »

Ken

I had 2 that both leaked in a normal rain after 2months or so.

Bombproof, Sun ICE.

sprinkle proof, Rainflex for me..

Sean,
Have you had the Rainflex out in really wet weather??  I'd be very interested to know how it performed.
Your Sun-Ice, I am assuming is Gore-Tex - right???

Sean Leary

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:40:07 AM »
David,

The Sun ICE is GoreTex, and it is the one the caddies wear at Bandon. I have not had the Sun Mountain Rainflex out in really wet weather but I can attest it is perfect for a light rain.

The thing about all of these rainsuits is over time, the GoreTex (or whatever) wears off.  

Shocking that I have so much experience with rainsuits living in Seattle , isn't it.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 12:24:50 PM by Sean Leary »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »
Zero R. has suits where you can more from full sleeves and legs to shorts and short sleeves. great for warm climates
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:44:23 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »
Biggest problem with rainsuits is whether they allow for air circulation - if it's warm and raining it can be awful if there is no air circulating.  

Ran and I have spoken about doing something with Sun Mountain like a rain suit as a follow up to the golf bags, but Ran's too busy at this point with other more important things - perhaps some time later in the year as it could be needed in western Canada.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 10:45:13 AM »
Zero Restriction.

(They have a really nice genuine factory store in Holsum, PA, between York and Lancaster off US30)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
What scares me is I was there for the weather Sean Leary tried out his new SunIce stuff in, and he says he hasn't used it in really wet weather.  Good lord... Seattleites do have a different perspective on things.

$1000 for a rainsuit strikes me as the most glaring example of golf overkill I've ever seen.  But then again I don't play in the rain all that often.  We played in blizzard/monsoon at Bandon (by my perspective) and my lower-end SunIce jacket served me wonderfully.  I can't imagine the type of constant rain play, or wild amounts of disposable income, that make $1000 for a rainsuit seem like the right thing to do.  But we all live different lives....

;D

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Zero R. has suits where you can more from full sleeves and legs to shorts and short sleeves. great for warm climates

I got one of the Zero jackets for Christmas that zips at the shoulder and zips at the elbows.  Very light and nice flexibility.  Haven't played in huge rain with it yet, but my prior ZR jacket always worked great.

Steve Pozaric

Craig Sweet

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 11:02:31 AM »
You can spend as much as you like for rain gear, but cost is no guarentee you'll stay dry. My experience, working at a golf course in all kinds of nasty weather, is some very cheap rain gear is often the best. For example, Red Ledge makes some very inexpensive, (and so far) very effective rain gear....pants and jacket for under $100....it isn't GoreTex, but whatever they use has kept me very dry, even when dirty from flailing around in irrigation leak holes.

However, when golfing I wear Sun Ice...not sure how well the Sun Ice will hold up in steady rain and wind.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

David Sneddon

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 11:08:10 AM »
David,

The Sun ICE is GoreTex, and it is the one the caddies wear at Bandon. I have not had the Sun Ice out in really wet weather but I can attest it is perfect for a light rain.

The thing about all of these rainsuits is over time, the GoreTex (or whatever) wears off.  

Shocking that I have so much experienc ewith rainsuits living in Seattle , isn't it.   ;)

Thanks Sean.
I have a Forrester Gore-Tex that is now coming up for 7 years old, and I'm thinking it is time for a replacement.
Sun-Mountain has always had good product, and since they dropped the Gore-Tex line, for their Rainflex technology, I was hoping that their suit would perform the same as Gore-Tex.

You get rain in Seattle?????   :o

Jim Bearden

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »
I have Sunderland and love it.

Reminds me of my day at Prestwick driving rain the caddy had no rain suit just some sort of semi waterproof jacket he came in soaking wet.

Sean Leary

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 12:26:21 PM »
What scares me is I was there for the weather Sean Leary tried out his new SunIce stuff in, and he says he hasn't used it in really wet weather.  Good lord... Seattleites do have a different perspective on things.

$1000 for a rainsuit strikes me as the most glaring example of golf overkill I've ever seen.  But then again I don't play in the rain all that often.  We played in blizzard/monsoon at Bandon (by my perspective) and my lower-end SunIce jacket served me wonderfully.  I can't imagine the type of constant rain play, or wild amounts of disposable income, that make $1000 for a rainsuit seem like the right thing to do.  But we all live different lives....

;D

It was a typo.  I meant to say Sun Mountain.  BAndon is as bad as it can get. :)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »
Another vote for Sunderland's Gore-Tex stuff. Their rain pants are good, the rain jackets excellent.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 03:42:03 PM »
I bought a great, inexpensive waterproof, free swinging sun mountain suit...

www.sunmountain.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 04:53:04 PM »
I bought a great, inexpensive waterproof, free swinging sun mountain suit...

www.sunmountain.com

Jay:

You don't count, you have no fat on your body. You could be free swinging in a zoot suit

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »
Well you haven't seen this suit though...I look like the Stay-puf marshmallow man...wearing black of course...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »
'stretching the limits of outerwear' indeed.

I am offended! :D

F(AT)BD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 10:37:39 PM »

The GoreTex doesn't wear off but the water repellent coating does which then keeps it from working.

here's the company line:
Washing Gore-Tex Outerwear

To get the most out of your Gore-Tex® outerwear, keep it clean. The following information describes the basic cleaning procedure. But always read and follow the care instructions sewn into any Gore-Tex garment before you wash it.

Laundry Instructions
Taking care of Gore-Tex outerwear is easy! Just:
Machine wash in warm water with powdered detergent.
Tumble dry on medium heat.
NOTE: W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc. does not recommend the use of liquid soaps or special "waterproof/breathable" soaps when washing Gore-Tex outerwear.

Water-Repellent Coatings

To maximize water-resistance and breathability, Gore-Tex outerwear comes with a DWR (durable water repellent) treatment on its outer surface. This DWR causes water to bead up and roll off the garment, which keeps the fabric surface clear so that sweat and body heat can pass through from the inside. DWR treatments also keep the fabric surface drier, which cuts down on evaporative heat loss and keeps your outerwear light and comfortable.

Over time, with regular laundering and exposure to the elements, DWR treatments can wear off. When this occurs, water may no longer bead on the surface of the outerwear fabric, and the fabric may absorb some water (NOTE: the Gore-Tex barrier beneath the outer fabric will still stop this moisture from getting to your skin). The best way to renew your DWR is to launder your Gore-Tex outerwear according to the care instructions and iron it using a warm steam setting. This will restore the water beading on the outer surface of the fabric as long as the original water-repellent treatment is present.

Unfortunately, there is no permanent water-repellent treatment available. Eventually, after extended wear and/or many washings, the original repellent finish will be depleted and you'll need to use a spray-on or wash-in water-repellency treatment to treat the outer surface of the fabric. You may repeat this process as many times as needed.

A Case of Mistaken Identity

Performance problems caused by worn DWR coatings are often mistaken for Gore-Tex fabric failures. This is due to the fact that when DWR coatings wear off, Gore-Tex® layers may:
Appear wet on the outside—since the outer fabric may absorb some water.
Feel heavier—again, due to water absorption.
Collect condensation on the inside—water on the fabric's surface can lower the temperature of the fabric through evaporative heat loss. This can cause warm, humid air inside the garment to condense on the inside surface so it feels wet—like it's leaking.
Before you consider replacing your jacket or rain pants, first try restoring your DWR or reapplying a spray-on or wash-in coating. Remember—just because the outer fabric becomes wet does not mean that water is passing through the Gore-Tex membrane layer laminated to the inside of your garment.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back