News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

April Fight Night Woking V Worplesdon
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:42:41 PM »
On the surface of things I think Woking shaves Worplesdon as a day out.  The courses are very comparable, but I think Worplesdon may be a bit of a surprise.

Hole              Woking             Worp

1                     7                    9    Not a great start for either course, but Woking's is woeful.

2                      10                 9     This hole is a beaut at Woking - a cool par 3 which will often require a fairly longish carry.  The removal of the nearby tree is a vast improvement.  Worp's is a solid par 4 with some difficulty as the fairway slopes hard right, the green is also not without interest

3                     10                 9    I reckon the fight is all square again.  Woking's third has a sloping left fairway with a shortish approach to a very cool green which funnels to the front left around the bunker.  I also like Worp's 3 - using the 1st fairway as a backdrop is very clever.

4                     9                 10   Despite the fame of Woking's 4th, I prefer the uphill par 3 at Worp.  The green is a shelf with an open side a bunker guarding the right.

5                    8                 8  Neither hole merits much attention, good holes, but nothing worth arguing over.  

6                   8                   9  Neither hole is stellar, but reachable par 5 at Worp is fun.  The 2nd is often blind down a hill.  It can be hard to gauge where to land the ball - sort of an old fashion hole - I like it.

7                   9                   9   A matchup of par 3s - both heavily defended, its our first no blood hole.

8                   9                   8   I give the edge to Woking because I like the bunkering scheme.  I also like the recovery from the right to a back to front sloping green.

9                    8                    7      I don't know what to say here because neither hole really grabs me.  Woking's is a sharp legger to the left then straight up a hill.  Unless the tees are back it is a layup long shot.  Worp's is a sort of copy of the 5th, but water is in play rather than heather.  A slight edge to Woking because of the green.

Out                78                    78

10.                  8                      8   Another matchup of par 3s  Worp's is over water and there is a real danger of sucking the ball back off the green because of the slope of the green.  Wok's is an awkward hole along the side of a hill.  

11.                 9                      10  We are moving into the meat of Worplesdon's course now.  The 11th is a rolling, long par 5 with bunkers and slopes to derail the player - a very good hole.  I like Wok's as well, its a legger to the right.  Its best to sit on top of the ridge maybe 150 out rather than catch a downhill lie.

12.                 9                      10   The 12th at Worp is excellent.  The drive slams over a hill and to the right.  It is reachable, but the green is raised and sort of hangs off the
13th tee.  It is very cool.  Wok's is a good hole, but the green is not enough to carry it through to beating Worp.

13.                 8                      10   I give this easily to Worp.  The 13th is a super medium length par 3 that is well guarded by bunkers.  The green has loads of good spots for a pin.  It reminds me of something that could be on Woodhall.  

14.                 9                       9   I like both holes.  The approach and green for Wok is interesting as it is reachable, but there is a bit of dead ground short of the green.  Worp's is a solid dogleg left, nothing spectacular, but comfortably tough.

15.                  9                        8     A matchup of par 5s.  To be fair, neither is a winner.  I give the slight edge to Wok because of the green - arguably the wildest on the course.  

16.                   8                        9   I guess this shows my bias against water.  Both are good par 3s, but Worp's is more attractive and wild looking so it wins.

17.                  8                         10   Worp's 17th is outstanding.  I love the harsh tiered green and it is a challenge no matter which club is in your hand.  Wok's is a nice little hole with a deceptive green that slides away from the fairway.  Its the sort of hole I like to see on courses, but it is no match for Worp.

18.                  10                         9    I love the options on Wok's closer.  If you bail left the approach is nasty as you hit right toward water.  I reckon there must be some flat bellies who are long enough to take the risk of water down the right and drive this green.  I also like Worp's closer.  Its a tough hole with what seems like a raised green, though I am not sure if this is true.  Good hole.

In                   78                        83        

Total              156                      161

The match isn't terribly close because of the separation which ccurs with Worplesdon's great stretch of 11-13, the best stretch on either course.  I reckon the look of the course may make a difference to some.  I find much of the water at Woking a bit jarring.  Still, just goes to show ya, I think Worplesdon is a better course, but I prefer Woking because of the club.  I also am pleased that the club is making strident efforts to clear out trees.  It can only be a good thing.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:13:55 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Brian Phillips

Re:April Fight Night Woking V Worplesdon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:32:43 AM »
Sean,

I don't agree with a number of your assesments but will get back to this thread when I get my strokesavers out.

Brian ;D
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back