News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Re:"Retief Goosen is steady". I disagree; he's quietly outstanding.
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 09:01:12 PM »

Who knows where I would have hit it, but I sure as hell would have hit it. Bending the ball? That is the whole point of my questioning the little girl iron shot.  

Glenn, I don't think I'd call Goosen a "little girl" because he chose a hybrid off the tee. If there was one guy in the field other than Tiger that I would not have any questions about his manhood, it would be Retief. The man is not called the silent assasin for nothing as well as a two time US Open champ. I seriously doubt that if you were playing in the final round of the Masters you would be making better decisions in the same scenario. That hole has ended many a players chances in the past. The man still had alot of golf after that hole including a par 5 (15). You mentioned his tee shot on 15. He missed the fw. And layed up. That still gave him a chance at birdie. Miss the fw left on 13 and his task becomes a lot harder. I don't seem to remember anyone here questioning Tiger's decision to hit fairway wood off the tee on 8. And then he hits driver on 9?!? A 3 wood there would still leave him a wedge. Perhaps he didn't feel he could reach 8 in two with how he was hitting his driver? If that's the case, why can't Retief make the same strategic decision on 13?

David,

Some very good points there. No question. I will say that I was shocked to see Tiger hitting driver on 9. I just assumed that it was broken. Why wouldn't he hit it on 8? I can't explain that one either. The one thing I will say is that maybe he thought he could still get there or he thought it unreachable. Not great thinking in either case, but somewhat, somewhat understandable. Goosen turned a REACHABLE par 5 into an unreachable par 5. I don't buy that still trying to get their story that someone brought up earlier. If it is such a good play or it makes any sense at all, Why hasn't it ever been done before on that hole? Why does he choose the final round to do it? It is incredibly stupid. Woods is one behind you and you are trying to figure scores out to win. Where has this guy been for the last 8 years? The guy flat chickened out like I have never seen before from a top athlete.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »

Who knows where I would have hit it, but I sure as hell would have hit it. Bending the ball? That is the whole point of my questioning the little girl iron shot.  

Glenn, I don't think I'd call Goosen a "little girl" because he chose a hybrid off the tee. If there was one guy in the field other than Tiger that I would not have any questions about his manhood, it would be Retief. The man is not called the silent assasin for nothing as well as a two time US Open champ. I seriously doubt that if you were playing in the final round of the Masters you would be making better decisions in the same scenario. That hole has ended many a players chances in the past. The man still had alot of golf after that hole including a par 5 (15). You mentioned his tee shot on 15. He missed the fw. And layed up. That still gave him a chance at birdie. Miss the fw left on 13 and his task becomes a lot harder. I don't seem to remember anyone here questioning Tiger's decision to hit fairway wood off the tee on 8. And then he hits driver on 9?!? A 3 wood there would still leave him a wedge. Perhaps he didn't feel he could reach 8 in two with how he was hitting his driver? If that's the case, why can't Retief make the same strategic decision on 13?

I am not comparing myself to Goosen, nor should you. I am comparing Goosen to the 50 players on Sunday for the last 50 years. 2499 hit a wood off the tee and Goosen is the only one to hit an iron. I do think I could make a better decision than that.

BTW, name one person that lost the Masters by hitting the TEE ball left on 13.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:07:12 PM by Glenn Spencer »

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 09:20:23 PM »
So is Phil an idiot because he goes for it and most of the time in majors it blows up in his face? When is it sound judgement? When they execute it? When are they chicken sh*t? When they play conservatively? If we knew that Retief was not feeling confident about shaping a right to left shot around the corner there, this conversation would be over. The man said afterwards that he missed his line off the tee with the hybrid. He said that if he had hit the line he chose, it would've left him alot closer to the hole. This was a execution snafu, plain and simple. I've watched Goosen ever since he's played on the European Tour. The man hits it a mile. He's had that club in his bag for some time and I've seen him hit 290. The man also admitted afterwards that he never felt comfortable with his swing all week. Taking a driver around the corner on 13 when you feel that way is an awful lot to ask. He was giving himself a chance. What else was he supposed to do, "Oh to hell with it, I'm going for it!"? If it goes in Rae's creek, he's done. And then he would've been questioned about why he didn't hit his hybrid on 13. ::)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 09:22:04 PM »

I am not comparing myself to Goosen, nor should you. I am comparing Goosen to the 50 players on Sunday for the last 50 years. 2499 hit a wood off the tee and Goosen is the only one to hit an iron. I do think I could make a better decision than that.

Fred Couples, 98. Lost by one. Enough said.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

CHrisB

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »
I believe Ernie Els also lost his chance at the Masters one year hitting it left off the tee on #13.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »

Fred Couples, 98. Lost by one. Enough said.

Far from enough said. He laid it out in the fairway and then washed a 6-iron. How is that the tee shots fault?

Scott Coan

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 09:39:55 PM »
Goose is clearly one of the best players on the planet and simply a few inches away from entering legendary status by winning at Shinny-04 and AGNC-07.

Shot 69-70 on the weekend to leap the field by 5 shots.

Missed a 4-footer for birdie on nine that would have resulted in and outward 31.

3-putted 12; said he hit it on the perfect line - just a bit too firm.

Missed his birdie on 13 by millimeters on the high side.  Certainly unconventional going with the hybrid on 13 tee but you cannot argue with his result.

3 very makeable putts.  Made good strokes and they did not go in.  ZJ binned them when it counted and he got the jacket but does not take anything away from Goosen's extraordinary performance.  The man has balls of steel !!!

Can't argue with the result on 13? There were 8 eagles made there on Sunday. Tiger made one of them a couple of groups behind. If you want to win a golf tournament like the Masters, you can't court par on the 13th hole after 3-putting 12. You need to pick up momentum somewhere. Notice, he did not make another birdie. You don't win majors by playing not to lose.

Balls of Steel? The man laid up on a 510 yard par 5 while tied for the lead in the final round of the Masters with Tiger Woods a stroke behind and a few groups behind. How is that balls of steel? Did he play great on the weekend? Yes. Is he one of the best players in the world? Yes. Does he have balls of steel? Absolutely not!!!

For goodness sake, the guy shot the low round of the day and had the LOWEST SCORE FOR THE WEEKEND BY 5 SHOTS.  He did not need any momentum.  He gave himself a 15 foot birdie put that he missed by a hair.  He did not jerk it, he did not take the gas.  He stroked it masterfully and missed it on the high side.  That same putt could have easily dropped.

I don't think Reteif Goosen needs any advice from you on how to win Majors.  Gimme a break.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 09:44:43 PM »
So is Phil an idiot because he goes for it and most of the time in majors it blows up in his face? When is it sound judgement? When they execute it? When are they chicken sh*t? When they play conservatively? If we knew that Retief was not feeling confident about shaping a right to left shot around the corner there, this conversation would be over. The man said afterwards that he missed his line off the tee with the hybrid. He said that if he had hit the line he chose, it would've left him alot closer to the hole. This was a execution snafu, plain and simple. I've watched Goosen ever since he's played on the European Tour. The man hits it a mile. He's had that club in his bag for some time and I've seen him hit 290. The man also admitted afterwards that he never felt comfortable with his swing all week. Taking a driver around the corner on 13 when you feel that way is an awful lot to ask. He was giving himself a chance. What else was he supposed to do, "Oh to hell with it, I'm going for it!"? If it goes in Rae's creek, he's done. And then he would've been questioned about why he didn't hit his hybrid on 13. ::)

No one is going to question why you didn't do something that no one in the tournament has ever done before. Mickelson is not in this discussion. You are a chicken when you lay up off the TEE of a par 5 while tied for the lead in the final round of the Masters. When it comes to golfers, this is the definition of chicken. Zach Johnson's gameplan was not to go for any par 5's in 2 unless he had 4-iron or less in. Did he hit iron off the tee at +3? No. That is why he is not a chicken. He gave himself a chance. Goosen was never going for that green and that makes him a chicken. You still didn't answer my question. If he is worried about hitting it left. Why did he take a club that he needed to hug the left side to get home with? Answer? He was never going.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:45:40 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:30 PM »
Goose is clearly one of the best players on the planet and simply a few inches away from entering legendary status by winning at Shinny-04 and AGNC-07.

Missed a 4-footer for birdie on nine that would have resulted in and outward 31.

Missed his birdie on 13 by millimeters on the high side.  Certainly unconventional going with the hybrid on 13 tee but you cannot argue with his result.

3 very makeable putts.  Made good strokes and they did not go in.  ZJ binned them when it counted and he got the jacket but does not take anything away from Goosen's extraordinary performance.  The man has balls of steel !!!

Can't argue with the result on 13? There were 8 eagles made there on Sunday. Tiger made one of them a couple of groups behind. If you want to win a golf tournament like the Masters, you can't court par on the 13th hole after 3-putting 12. You need to pick up momentum somewhere. Notice, he did not make another birdie. You don't win majors by playing not to lose.

Balls of Steel? The man laid up on a 510 yard par 5 while tied for the lead in the final round of the Masters with Tiger Woods a stroke behind and a few groups behind. How is that balls of steel? Did he play great on the weekend? Yes. Is he one of the best players in the world? Yes. Does he have balls of steel? Absolutely not!!!

For goodness sake, the guy shot the low round of the day and had the LOWEST SCORE FOR THE WEEKEND BY 5 SHOTS.  He did not need any momentum.  He gave himself a 15 foot birdie put that he missed by a hair.  He did not jerk it, he did not take the gas.  He stroked it masterfully and missed it on the high side.  That same putt could have easily dropped.

I don't think Reteif Goosen needs any advice from you on how to win Majors.  Gimme a break.

What does what he shot have to do with anything? I am not giving him advice. I am saying that he made a chicken move. The 2500 before him were the ones giving him the advice. If you need a break so bad, tell me why it is hasn't ever been done before?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 09:50:15 PM »

He misses a 4-footer on 9 for birdie and he 3-putts 12 for bogey and he doesn't need any momentum? You must have been watching a different tournament than me.

CHrisB

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 09:51:05 PM »
You are a chicken when you lay up off the TEE of a par 5 while tied for the lead in the final round of the Masters.

Like Tiger did on #2?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 09:51:43 PM »
Els blew his chance in 2002 with an 8 on the 13th, went in the creek twice.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:53:03 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 09:52:13 PM »
1 out of every 7 1/2 players eagled the hole on Sunday. He hit an iron off the tee. Can't be explained. It just has to be called one of the dumbest decisions ever in the Masters.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 09:53:23 PM »
You are a chicken when you lay up off the TEE of a par 5 while tied for the lead in the final round of the Masters.

Like Tiger did on #2?

Tiger hit 3-wood. Knew he could still get there. Try and keep your comments relevant.

CHrisB

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »
I am not giving him advice. I am saying that he made a chicken move. The 2500 before him were the ones giving him the advice. If you need a break so bad, tell me why it is hasn't ever been done before?

How many players have ever laid up at #13 from 214 yards to the pin on Masters Sunday--especially when 1 or 2 back, chasing the lead?

Zach Johnson did.

CHrisB

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »

Like Tiger did on #2?

Tiger hit 3-wood. Knew he could still get there. Try and keep your comments relevant.

Retief hit 1-iron/hybrid. Thought he could still get there. Comments relevant. ;)

How about Tiger on #8?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2007, 10:03:06 PM »

Like Tiger did on #2?

Retief hit 1-iron/hybrid. Thought he could still get there. Comments relevant. ;)

How about Tiger on #8?

So you are buying that he was planning on hitting 1-iron down the left side and getting home in 2? I already explained Tiger on 8 to the best of my ability. I also explained Johnson as well. He had a hanging lie with a 3-iron. Caddie is saying it right now on TGC. We know what Goosen's lie was. PERFECT.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2007, 10:04:09 PM »
I am not giving him advice. I am saying that he made a chicken move. The 2500 before him were the ones giving him the advice. If you need a break so bad, tell me why it is hasn't ever been done before?

How many players have ever laid up at #13 from 214 yards to the pin on Masters Sunday--especially when 1 or 2 back, chasing the lead?

Zach Johnson did.

Johnson was tied for the lead. Try and keep up. His lie is a variable. Goosen's is not.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
Els blew his chance in 2002 with an 8 on the 13th, went in the creek twice.

Nice, Paul. Thanks. I can't find anything on that. Where was he in the tournament? Wasn't he really in chase mode at that point? I don't think it lost him the tournament. Tiger won that one pretty easily. It might have been the death knell, but it was not Ernie's to win or lose at that point. Goosen was tied for the damn lead.

CHrisB

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2007, 10:12:01 PM »

Zach Johnson did.

Johnson was tied for the lead. Try and keep up. His lie is a variable. Goosen's is not.

I get that. My point with ZJ is that I too, can say, that no one had ever done what he had done at #13 on Sunday at the Masters, and yet he did it because he felt it was right for him.

I could call him a chicken, bring up Faldo hitting a 2-iron from farther back off of a more severe sidehill lie that was the shot of the '96 Masters for him, etc., but I just can't do that. It's the man in the arena that has to make the decision that's right for him.

Even Chip Beck still feels like he made the right decision for him in '93. Ditto Mickelson at Winged Foot.

What these guys can't live with is taking a risk they feel is unnecessary and uncomfortable for them and not pulling it off, because those types of mistakes are harder to get over.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »

Zach Johnson did.

I get that. My point with ZJ is that I too, can say, that no one had ever done what he had done at #13 on Sunday at the Masters, and yet he did it because he felt it was right for him.

I could call him a chicken, bring up Faldo hitting a 2-iron from farther back off of a more severe sidehill lie that was the shot of the '96 Masters for him, etc., but I just can't do that. It's the man in the arena that has to make the decision that's right for him.

Even Chip Beck still feels like he made the right decision for him in '93. Ditto Mickelson at Winged Foot.

What these guys can't live with is taking a risk they feel is unnecessary and uncomfortable for them and not pulling it off, because those types of mistakes are harder to get over.

Okay, I will buy that, but those are all situations from the fairway. Mickelson said what he thought of himself. Faldo agonized over that shot forever. It is a tough choice from the fairway. I will grant you that. From the tee though? Tiger hit 3-wood and mid-iron. Goosen hits iron off the tee. I just don't understand how it can be looked at as anything but a chicken move. One of the world's best can't hit a 3-wood at the trees and turn it a little now? He is supposedly willing to hit an iron closer to the creek though. I can't buy it. I just don't see it as anything but a guy being afraid to win or playing not to lose. Nobody hits iron off that tee. Nobody. If you tell Tiger that he is going to have 15 feet for birdie there if he hits iron, do you think he would? The hole was begging to be birdied and asking to be eagled. He brought par into the equation.

Scott Coan

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »

He misses a 4-footer on 9 for birdie and he 3-putts 12 for bogey and he doesn't need any momentum? You must have been watching a different tournament than me.

Momentum?  Tiger Woods shot 72-72 over the weekend for the second best score for the field.  Goose shot 70-69.  Each and every hole had a double bogie lurking in it.  He wasn't looking for momentum, he was looking to make bird and he very nearly did.  If he birdies 9, 12, and 13 it goes down as one of the greatest weekends of Major championship golf EVER.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2007, 10:28:23 PM »
BTW, Chip Beck is an also ran, who cares what he does? Goosen is a probable Hall of Famer golfer with a stellar record of performance. I never believed what people said about the players today against the guys with guts from the past. This incident is starting to make think they are right about today's guys.

CHrisB

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2007, 10:29:58 PM »

Like Tiger did on #2?

How about Tiger on #8?

So you are buying that he was planning on hitting 1-iron down the left side and getting home in 2? I already explained Tiger on 8 to the best of my ability. I also explained Johnson as well. He had a hanging lie with a 3-iron. Caddie is saying it right now on TGC. We know what Goosen's lie was. PERFECT.

So you're calling Goosen a chicken and a liar too?

I'm debating this with you because I see no reason (yet) why I should believe you over Retief Goosen. When has Goosen ever been anything other than straight-up in his interviews?

And even if you were correct about him having no chance to get home in two if he ripped one, I see no reason to question his decision there. I see it as very similar to Tiger's decision on #8 (interesting that it didn't work out for either of them).

Just because you would hit the accelerator in that situation doesn't mean that he should, and I'm going to side with the guy who has won 2 U.S. Opens, and not the guy sitting in front of his keyboard.

(And I think I'm consistent in this regard--I recall making similar points whenever all the "experts" come out and tell Phil how to play the 72nd hole at Winged Foot, tell Michelle Wie which tournaments to play in, etc.)

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2007, 10:32:10 PM »

Momentum?  Tiger Woods shot 72-72 over the weekend for the second best score for the field.  Goose shot 70-69.  Each and every hole had a double bogie lurking in it.  He wasn't looking for momentum, he was looking to make bird and he very nearly did.  If he birdies 9, 12, and 13 it goes down as one of the greatest weekends of Major championship golf EVER.

Birdies 12? How did that come up? He didn't make a birdie after 8 and we are saying it is one of the best weekends in golf now? The guy was clearly in need of some adrenaline. What he shot on Saturday was never going to help him on that back nine. He needed something and he didn't get it. Looking to make bird? Maybe, but he took a route that has never been taken before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back