News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

Augusta and Golfweek's Rankings
« on: April 07, 2007, 07:54:11 PM »
Has anyone else picked up that with Augusta falling to #10 in the Golfweek list, that the powers-that-be there might be just p.o.'d enough to have made the course this difficult just to show up Golfweek?

Could it just be an April's Fool Joke or not????
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Brad Klein

Re:Augusta and Golfweek's Rankings
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 07:58:04 PM »
Paul,

I just got a message on my Blackberry from Ridley asking me if I watched the telecast (I was lulled into a stupor on the TV couch by all the bogies and doubles and so missed him). Wanted to know if I could arrange for some more raters to come down in the next few weeks and review their votes. He seemed quite anxious that I message him back right away. Are you available?

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 08:41:55 PM »
If I wasn't so busy with work over the next few weeks I would volunteer go.....
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

JR Potts

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:59:17 PM »
Paul,

I just got a message on my Blackberry from Ridley asking me if I watched the telecast (I was lulled into a stupor on the TV couch by all the bogies and doubles and so missed him). Wanted to know if I could arrange for some more raters to come down in the next few weeks and review their votes. He seemed quite anxious that I message him back right away. Are you available?

I think I just saw Paul running down to Augusta...

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 10:47:04 PM »
Brad

I'm looking forward to shooting a 128.

When do you need me there????

"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:47:55 PM »
Sorry.  Misread your post.

When does Mr. Ridley need me there??

David Wigler

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:22:58 PM »
Count me in as well.  I would love to try and beat Henrik on 15.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

T.J. Sturges

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 11:33:10 PM »
I haven't seen the Golfweek list.  What are the courses they place ahead of Augusta National?

TS

Paul Richards

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »
David

Then I'll take Appleby at #17.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 11:45:06 PM »
Ted

Augusta fell from #3 Classic to #10 Classic on Golfweek's list.

Bradley Klein's article mentioned that Augusta was one of the few courses that was ADDING trees when every other classic course renovation was removing trees that were unnecessary and choking grass growth.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »
No secret, it's the trees for me!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 12:47:14 AM »
After watching the past three days, I'm left wondering why Medinah hasn't slipped past ANGC.

There is certainly less of a tree problem there.

Is there anyone on this board, nostalgia aside, who think that ANGC would be any fun to play from the tips?

Would anyone say the same thing about Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Merion, NGLA, Shinnecock, Seminole, Pinehurst 2, Olympic, Pebble Beach, San Francisco, or even Oakmont?

Or even Winged Foot???

The only way to accurately reflect the current reality is to create a commercial similar to the one in the 70s....about pollution....where an American Indian surveys the devastating changes around him and is left with tears rolling down his cheeks.

Put Bobby Jones in that commercial...perhaps sucking in his gut to walk down the 7th fairway...and then you'd have an accurate assessment.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 01:00:42 AM »
I can help you with that. On another thread, Ted Sturges posted:

What struck me was how narrow they have made the landing areas on 7, 11, 15 and 17.  Those trees will grow fast (all pines) and if left there (I have my doubts about that) the playing corridors will be even more narrow within a few years.  I paced off the narrowest part of the landing areas on 7 and 17 (pine needle to pine needle) and they were both 22 yards.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 01:01:43 AM »
Mike, what is the narrowest fairway width at ANGC?

Do you know?

Does anyone know?

If the answer to this question is "no", perhaps nobody knows because people have a tendency not to cites irrelevent statistics.

Dave,

Have you viewed the recent overhead aerials (is that redundant?  ;) ) as exhibited recently in Golf Digest?

The combination of width and firmness, as well as the NEED for excessive length from the tee (i.e. the 14th and 17th on the back nine, both very uphill, are no tremendously long), has made the playing width of those holes about 20 yards.

Throw in the absurdly configured driving width of the 11th and 15th holes and you have a back nine where hitting half the fairways is a miraculous feat.

I started a thread earlier today asking of Jack Nicklaus' score of 30 on the back nine (where he bogeyed 12) would be possible on today's course, and a few Masters diehards, showing the loyalty of a Alberto Gonzales, contended that it was still possible.

I think we land a man on Jupiter before we ever see that again.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 01:23:51 AM »
Once again, Mike, you're making my point for me.  Why is the ability to shoot a particular given number important?  Because you guys just can't get "par" out of your heads.

David,

Don't throw your Justice Scalia arguments at me!   ;D

You can't watch the entire field trying to goose-step uniformly through ANGC and try and tell us that there is freedom of choice, and freedom of action in what they are doing.

My friend, go back in your mind to NGLA, and recall what you found so great and compelling about that course, and then try to tell me that there is something similar happening this week to the best players in the world in Georgia this week.

I'm all for thinking outside of the box, and for throwing off the tyranny of par as some artificial yoke that holds us hostage, but don't for a moment try to tell us that going to the ballot box, and having a choice of voting for Ahmandinejad from the "Freedom Party" or Ahmandinejad from the "Security Party" is any different than the narrow strictures of opportunity being offered this week at Augusta.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 01:46:55 AM »
David,

You're hysterical. ;)

Please provide us with one example where two different players actually CHOSE shots twenty yards apart from one another and still had a similar fighting chance to shoot a reasonably similar score!   ::)

There is more choice in Kin Jong Il's elections than there are in today's Masters setup!!!   ;D

Your example of "par" as some exemplar of a standard that has become insignificant due to present circumstances is analogus to the concept of navigational freedom in the waters between Iran and Iran.  You suddenly seem to be arguing that the lack of freedom of decision-making is a good thing, and that freedom as defined by whether to lay up at 150 yards or 160 yards is "choice".

redanman

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »

I going to  guess that it's about where it should be in its current Fronkensteenian state.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 09:56:27 AM »
IT'S FRONKENSTEIN!
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 10:22:18 AM »
My wife said something interesting yesterday.  As you might imagine, she is not a GCA geek, but does play golf regularly.

We're sitting watching the broadcast together, on a nice big screen TV.  We're looking at the 16th hole, from behind the tee box, which gives a player's perspective of the hole.  I said to her, "Isn't that pretty?", to which she responded, "Yes it is, but it looks a bit contrived."  A perfect word to describe the look.

I am enjoying the tournament immensely, though the drama is one based on failures rather than successes, similar to last year's U.S. Open.  We'll see what happens today, but I'm not a fan of using the same Sunday pin positions every year.  It's too formulaic.  Some years it has worked great, but last year Mickelson had a four stroke lead with four holes to go, and the drama was over.  It's possible Tiger will be in the same position today.

If I had to choose one hole I wish were easier, it would be #17.  It's demoralizing, and screwing up a lot of rounds.

There are so many threads about Augusta this week, I have no idea where to post my thoughts.  I just pick one and post there.

Brad, thanks for the laugh.  If you wish to anoint me for a one shot deal...  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
Does this mean every time Augusta's name is mentioned, the horses start screaming in the back ground?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
....if there are ever horses at Augusta, they will be fed a diet such that their poo and pee will be green......

Paul Richards

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure I could match Phil's 7 on the first hole today,

Paul Richards

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
Unfortunately, my main man Luke
Donald followed his eagle at 8 with a triple bogey 7 at nine.

Brad, please let them know that my ability to match so many scores by Masters' participants will not effect my scores in the 'resistance to scoring' category in the least.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
I think they've got this just about right in terms of quasi-penalty for wayward driving.  

Dave,  

Does this mean all the winner's victories, previous to the tree plantings, are somehow tainted?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:07:45 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Paul Richards

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 08:49:24 PM »
for their next step, Augusta will begin planting trees in FRONT of the greens

this is bound to really toughen things up

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back