News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Your favourite Augusta Hole
« on: April 05, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »
Dontcha just hate these threads that appear at every Major? Blah, blah, blah-deddy, blah.

I know I do, BUT, I am so in lurve with ONE PARTICULAR hole at the Georgian beauty that I thought it worthwhile to gauge the agreement/disagreement of the group with the object of my affection.

Forget #12, ignore the glories of #16.

The BEST hole at Augusta is the 13th. The Azalea is freakishly BRILLIANT. Maybe the only hole with actual MacKenzian strategy still in place, I could watch the Pros play it endlessly.

Choices, mixed messages and decisions to be made on tee shot and approach. Bunkers, burns and a delicious green. Perfect.

#18 on the other hand, is a dog. ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

noonan

Re:Your favourite Augusta Hole
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:31 PM »
Meh......18 is a great hole.....must shape the tee ball.......over 100 feet of elevation change........Phil, and O'Meara have won there.........Arnie has lost there.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 07:30:59 PM »
Did you see Tiger hit that hook around the tree on 18...I love trees.

JESII

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »
Trees suck...exceot for the well placed specimen, then it's all you need.

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:39:48 PM »
Martin, I love 13 as well. I like 14 too, the green is unbelievable.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Gary Daughters

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:47:23 PM »
Once again I say #3.  

Why?  Because it's the most benign little par 4 until something goes wrong.  And when things go wrong, they go horribly wrong.  See Maggert in '93 when his bunker shot hit himself, or Tiger in the same year when he tried to drive it and made 6.  

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:55:11 PM by Gary Daughters »
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »
Before I saw the responses my original thought was #13.

JR Potts

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
I love 11.

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »

The bunkerless, waterless hole give a "player vs. the land" sort of feel, golf at its essence.  The green complex is one of a kind.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 12:14:22 AM »
Martin,

I agree with 13. It is a true par 4 1/2 with great demands in shot making. The controlled draw off the tee, the high fade off a lie above your feet to hold the green. The green can hold a long shot, and yet defend itself against the wedge.  Really great stuff to watch year after year. Added to all that, it is perhaps the most beautiful hole in all of golf that is not on the ocean.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:22:14 AM »
14 for me...  If Jones and MacKenzie's intentions were inspired by TOC, what other hole has such random terrain, with such a green that resembles those at TOC?  When there were less trees, and no rough, it would have been more like a linksland hole corridor.  Was there ever a mid FW bunker or coffin out there, back in the day?    

I think I would have loved the original 16 as well, from what the photo's and paintings suggest, and the old 10 with the sprawling greenside bunker.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matt_Sullivan

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 03:38:22 AM »
13 for all the reasons listed above

I also like 15 -- so much drama on Sunday afternoons and beatifully placed in the round. You can't win the tournament there but you can lose it. Generally overshadowed by the glorious 13th. but wouldn't 15 be the best par 5 on many top 100 courses

And 12 -- the most nerve-wracking par 3 in tournament golf?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 07:54:35 AM »
12th  - I love seeing the nervous looks on the pro's on the tee and and the variety of scores that a good or poor shot brings.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 08:02:22 AM »
I'm a fan of #7.  TV doesn't do justice to just how small the green is and how much bunkering surrounds it.

#6 is a great hole for the patrons, who can sit on the hill below the tee and have the shots whoosh over their heads.

ANGC truly is a magical place.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 08:11:12 AM »
I love 18.  Bash it straight uphill between the trees and the bunkers and then get the line and length absolutely right on the approach.  Just as MacKenzie designed it and so completely non-strategic, unless, of course, you miss, and then you get shots like Tim Clark's yesterday.  Smash ball and goofy golf at their greatest and most satisfying.

Shane Sullivan

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 08:14:46 AM »
I am nothing if not a conformist - I love 16.  More for the changes in fortune that have happened there than for the hole itself.

As a side note:  is it just me or is this year's TV coverage giving more perspective of the course.  I have known that the course is more undulating than you can see on TV - but this year I seem to be able to see the undulations and contours.  There seem to be a lot more wide shots with a golfer in frame giving it some scale.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 08:41:49 AM »
Shane,
That's the beauty of HD cameras.  Even if you don't have an HD set, you'll benefit by having HD cameras.

tlavin

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 08:49:35 AM »
I'm a fan of 15, for the oft stated reason that the risk/reward opportunites provide the best stage late in the round to dramatically change the outcome of the toonamint.  Case in point: In '86 Nicklaus makes eagle and Ballesteros (then up by two or three) makes bogey after hitting it in the water and Nicklaus goes on to win his last Masters.  Pressure and execution grandly enabled by the natural architecture of the hole and the genius of the green construction.  Good stuff.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 09:12:22 AM »
Martin,

I agree with 13. It is a true par 4 1/2 with great demands in shot making. The controlled draw off the tee, the high fade off a lie above your feet to hold the green. The green can hold a long shot, and yet defend itself against the wedge.  Really great stuff to watch year after year. Added to all that, it is perhaps the most beautiful hole in all of golf that is not on the ocean.

A couple of guys (Vijay, Baddaley) teed up on the right and faded it over the corner.  I wonder if that was possible before they pushed the tee back.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »
is it just me or is this year's TV coverage giving more perspective of the course.  I have known that the course is more undulating than you can see on TV - but this year I seem to be able to see the undulations and contours.  There seem to be a lot more wide shots with a golfer in frame giving it some scale.

Shane et al,
these pics are the best ever from Augusta here in the UK too. We don't have an HD receiver, but do have a Philips HD ready Telly which has a bit of software called PixelPlus which does something clever with HD signals I think.
The upshot of that is the BESTEST piucture I have ever seen of US golf. (There's always been an incompatibility thing with the no. of lines and scanning rates, etc which means US pics have been crap in the UK and I'm sure, vice versa.)

Augusta is definitely revealed in more detail than I've ever seen before.

The downside is Ian Poulter's dress-sense, which has me reaching for the sick-bag... ;D

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Christensen

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 07:25:49 PM »
#14.........that green should be one of the wonders of the world....adam scott actually played it right today...ran it up!

#4 is a very good hole too

Bill Gayne

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 07:38:46 PM »
The false front on nine is unbelievable. The big hitters will knock it to the bottom of the hill leaving a blind shot to the green. A shorter drive leaves a downhill lie to an uphill green which to me is an impossibly tough shot.

The forth hole is a brutal par three. The seventh hole is a great hole to watch because you see how good of a short game that the players at the tour level have.

I was reading on Masters.org that the fifth hole was modeled after the Road Hole. I don't see any of the same strategies. Does anybody see any similar strategies?

Jim Johnson

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »
Martin, I agree with you 100%. Augusta #13 has always been my favorite.

When I was lucky enough to get a ticket to last year's Monday round, I couldn't help but notice while I was standing alongside the 13th hole, with numerous other fans, that everyone seemed almost "giddy" with excitement at being in that particular spot, finally!

Some pics...

I just couldn't get enough of that hole. Absolutely gorgeous.
Not to mention the architectural merit of the hole itself  ;)

JJ

Brock Peyer

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 07:04:41 AM »
I have always loved #13.  It is the ultimate risk reward par 5.  Everyone saw the fits that it gave them yesterday.  It is beautiful and treacherous at the same time.  You can make 3 through 9 there without working too hard.  You can hit out of the hazard, there are beautiful azaleas everywhere.  You have tons of fairway and tons of lay up options.  Appleby laid up nearly pin high today.  I love 13 so much, that my wife had the "groom's" cake, made as a replica of 13 at our wedding.  It was delicious but I hated cutting into it.

My second favorite hole, I love 14, 10, 12, 15, 16, 2, 8, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 9, 17, and 18.  Heck, I love the hole course, but remember, I'm a Georgia boy and have been to the Masters 15 times or so.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back