News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Best by a bad 'un....
« on: March 21, 2007, 12:41:05 PM »
....and vice versa.

When playing a course by an architect you had previously thought dull, uninteresting or even incompetent, have you ever suddenly come across a very good hole, good enough to make you think, 'I didn't know X was capable of this'?  

Of course I have to ask the complementary question: when playing a course by an acknowledged master architect have you ever come across a hole which made you think, 'I didn't know Y could be so dull, uninteresting or even incompetent'?

RJ_Daley

Re:Best by a bad 'un....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
Mark, isn't it pretty much truism that:
Even the blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut...
or,
Even a virtuoso eventually hits a clinker of a note...

Not that you ever would...  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:11:05 PM »
Mark,

I can't (and wouldn't) list a good course by a "bad" gca.

For the complimentary question, perhaps its the Dick Wilson thread also current, but when I arrived at the old Winterwood golf course in Las Vegas in 1984 for a remodel, I couldn't believe a course so bad could have been done by Dick Wilson.

The corridors were too tight, and the freatures looked nothing like the other Wilson courses I had seen.  I felt like he had no field time in his contract, or had some other kind of dispute with the developer, which seems more likely after reading the article posted here.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:33:03 PM »
Mark, as you know Fowler is one of my favorite designers.  I think almost has a few holes that cause me to shake my head and wonder "Herbert, what were you thinking?' But I think that is what is so endearing about him.  You never know what to expect and once you think you have him figured out he surprizes you.  

My biggest disappoinment is at Westward Ho!  One, two, and 18 leave a lot to be desired.  I actuall like the design but the land is less than perfect.  My guess is that he was given instruction about where to begin and end.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back