News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Levett

Cross bunkers only work on par 5s
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:07:18 PM »
Pretty much what the title says. They're quite popular with UK designers on par 5s - just one hole a course.
But I don't think they work on par 4s - if you're good the carry isn't an issue, otherwise the game's hard enough as it is.
Thoughts?

Wyatt Halliday

Re:Cross bunkers only work on par 5s
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »
Andy,

Would you consider the 12th at Bethpage to be a cross buker. It is a presence that must be dealt with.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:24:21 PM »
I also disagree.  Since I've been looking at Ryan's photos, I give you . . . Pacific Dunes #2.  With calm weather, a good player will easily carry the cross bunker, but into the wind, it takes a good drive.  Even the better player has to think about going right or left or laying up.  The lesser player has a similar dilemma from the more forward tee.  If you drive into the bunker (or worse, pull it into the left bunker because you're trying to jump on your drive), suddenly you're working hard for a bogey on a 350-yard par 4.  I like it.

JBergan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:57:22 PM »
Are bunkers which are perpendicular to the line of play the only ones considered to be cross bunkers?  Are angled bunkers which create a left and right side of the fairway defined to be cross bunkers?  If so, then 10 at Apache Stronghold, a par 4, works for me.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »
I would tend to think they work better on shortish par fives, where, if you miss the drive, you have a real decision to face as to whether you attempt to carry a cross bunker more towards the green in an attempt to still get on or thereabouts in two, or one that is located more midway between tee and green where you have to decide whether to carry the cross bunker to give yourself a shorter third, or lay up for a long third.

Woodhall Spa has an excellent example of the latter, in the 9th hole, possibly the best on the course.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »
Read Rans review of the 15th at Bandon Trails.  Its a modertly short par 4.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:31:30 PM »
Andy,

GCGC has an abundance of them on their par 4's and they work wonderfully.

A review of Ran's write up on GCGC may help.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 12:40:57 AM »
Cross bunkers work great on Par 3's......too!

Tom Roewer

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »
So right dunlop!!!  I grew up on a great D. Ross and the 2nd was a long par 3 with a cross bunker about 40 yds. short of the green.  A really good hole and 3 was a very good score always.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 10:06:53 PM »
I think cross bunkering has a place on both long and short par 4's as well as the 5's. It is a great strategic feature that makes holes and lifts courses when used correctly on 2 or 3 holes. I could not be more on the other side of the fense/bunker from the original post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back