News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Dunne

Bunkerless courses?
« on: March 02, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
Other than Royal Ashdown Forest, how many bunkerless courses are out there?

Thanks,

tom

Jason McNamara

Re:Bunkerless courses?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »

Piltdown and Berkhamsted are two more.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:56:50 PM by Jason McNamara »

Andy Levett

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:08:45 PM »
Sean, shame, one of your favourites, Painswick.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 06:15:31 PM »
The only course that pops into my head is High Hampton in Cashiers, NC.  

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Culver Military Academy and Pocono Manor-East, thanks to TD's CG Gazetteer.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 06:55:51 PM »
Thunderbird Hills - North in Huron, Ohio.  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 08:49:09 PM »
Reid Park South- Springfield, Ohio. I believe it is the South, but it might be the North Course. One of them doesn't have any bunkers.

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 08:52:34 PM »
Marysville, a 9 hole course in Corvallis, OR

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 09:24:54 PM »
Raptor in Naples ala Ray Floyd
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Robert Thompson

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 11:28:39 PM »
Hockley Valley north of Toronto... though it wasn't designed that way.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 04:06:04 AM »
Sean, shame, one of your favourites, Painswick.

Two errors here.

1.  I don't know that Painswick is one of Sean's favourites.

2.  There is a bunker at Painswick.  Can you guess where?  It is the ultimate in quirk for what is essentially a bunkerless course to have a bunker here!

James B

Oh and for a great bunkerless course - Waikerie - a small country town about 2 hours drive from Adelaide.  A fine set of greens and a course set amongst local dunes near the River Murray, supported by a population of about 4000!  A great shoestring budget course.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 04:08:04 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 04:41:42 AM »
Sean

I understand.

Can you answer my scond question?  I'll post a photo when someone guesses the answer (hint to Bill McBride - you can see this from the clubhouse verandah!)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 06:09:12 AM »
http://www.bramshaw.co.uk/index.lasso?pg=e22f527e4264112f&cl=1&catid=4cc9422eabb5b397&mp=6cc4072f61aef2e4&-session=ldcms:8424A5C3A72E743726384812EF2A7F0E&-session=ldcms:ED385C736182058AFC29634B787AF4DC

Was driving through the beautiful New Forrest yesterday and thinking “golf country”.

I then saw two holes (9&10) of what turns out to be Bramshaw Golf course.  It’s an excellent website and it would appear a bunkerless course. (further checking reveals they spoilt this on the 12th hole :(). I think the course would be worth investigating but in summer as the poor soil showed thin grass and surface water.

From the site

“The original course, now known as the Forest, was originally built by a local resident/landowner called Philip de Crespigny, for the entertainment of his weekend guests in about 1865. It was built partly in his large garden at Roundhill and partly on Brook Common. There were no other golf courses in Hampshire at that time and no records can be found to show that he had permission to build his!
The many natural features of the New Forest, particularly the rise and fall of the land and the stream that runs through the far side of the course ("Kings Garn Gutter"), made it easy to create golf holes of great interest and ones that required the skills of a seasoned links golfer to master. Without any form of mechanical assistance, the major part of the work was either done by hand or with the assistance of horses from local farms.  
Together with another local landowner, John Jeffries, they formed Bramshaw Golf Club and Bramshaw Cricket Club (which is alongside the 18th fairway) in 1880, a fact documented in the R&A Handbook. There were fourteen entrants in its first ever Monthly Medal, which was won by Philip de Crespigny (playing off scratch) with a total of 174 for 36 holes. By the third competition they reduced it to just 18 holes! After a period in the 1890's when the club had just 9 holes, it formed a partnership with a new local club at Lyndhurst (who also had 9 holes). The combined club, calling themselves New Forest Golf Club, had the unique feature of the front and back nine holes being over 5 miles apart!
The course at Brook Common was extended to 18 holes in the first decade of the 20th Century and the partnership was dissolved in 1913. It was not until 1945 that the club obtained a formal Forestry Commission permit to play golf there.”

Anyone know more?
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2007, 07:05:33 AM »
Painswick -  a bunkerless course, but with a practice green WITH BUNKER!   :o  Surely another bit of quirk from the custodians of Painswick!  This is #18 (a par 3, with green in foreground, and tee in background.  The practice green is the left background.

They must use it for pennant practice.

James B
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:07:05 AM by James Bennett »

Sébastien Dhaussy

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2007, 08:10:02 AM »
This subject reminds me a very old GCA thread (2001 !) in which the discussion was on the neccessity of bunkers on a course. A very interesting discussion :

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/board/ubbhtml/Forum1/HTML/005418.html

Hope not to play the rally killer  ;D but I think the two threads are well connected.
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »
The Tarrantine G.C. in Islesboro Maine has no bunkers on the course. They had one but it was removed many years ago. With the kind of topography the course has it doesn't need sand bunkers.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »
James B
thanks for posting that picture. Just an aside: sometimes flatish greens get criticized, but I think they look very pretty, and I don't find them particularly easy to putt on. Have you played Painswick? A flat green on a par 3 with no bunkers sounds like a pretty easy hole. Is it?
Peter

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »
Painswick -  a bunkerless course, but with a practice green WITH BUNKER!   :o  Surely another bit of quirk from the custodians of Painswick!  This is #18 (a par 3, with green in foreground, and tee in background.  The practice green is the left background.

They must use it for pennant practice.

James B

James that reminds me I have seen that exact thing before.  Epping Forrest Golf Club is pasture golf at it's finest and had it's only bunker by a practice green with the rational that they didn’t want their players to be out of sorts when playing away matches.

A couple of years ago they 'improved' the course by adding bunkers - but in the strangest places.  I've posted on here before, the on course bunkers use recycled glass but they are so far from my line of play that I’ve never been near enough to give them a try!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 11:52:00 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony Petersen

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 12:10:40 PM »
 ;D Isn't one of the courses on the RTJ Trail completely void of bunkers? My home club in Alexandria, MN has no fairway bunkers  ;D
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

D_Malley

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
pocono manor
36 holes
zero bunkers

they may of added a couple in recent years to the east course.  there was only one bunker on all 36 holes when i worked there.  that one bunker was put in next to #18 green so we could give sand lessons in the early morn.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »
James B
thanks for posting that picture. Just an aside: sometimes flatish greens get criticized, but I think they look very pretty, and I don't find them particularly easy to putt on. Have you played Painswick? A flat green on a par 3 with no bunkers sounds like a pretty easy hole. Is it?
Peter
Peter- Painswick's greens are far from flat, other than that 18th hole which is fairly new. BTW the old 18th at Painswick did have at least one bunker around it, I think two. A few like the 5th, 7th, 10th, have quite a bit of tilt. Painswick has about half a dozen greens that slope away from you as well, which makes it tough.
Minchinhampton (old) has no sand bunkers as far as I recall, there must be a lot of small 9 holers throughout the UK without sand, though the ones already mentioned are the significant courses that are worth a further look.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Paul Payne

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2007, 01:29:30 PM »
Tony,

Yes, it is the River course at Huntsville AL. I liked that course. Undulating and fairly narrow fairways, buried elephants in the greens, water here and there. It did not lack challenge even if it lacked bunkers. What is surprising (or maybe not) according to the starter it is not very popular, possibly the least on the entire trail.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:30:10 PM by Paul Payne »

James Bennett

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2007, 04:50:48 PM »
Peter Pallotta

#18 at Painswick is NOT an indication of the course character.  It is flat, relatively simple but does fall under the guise of clubhouse onlookers from the balcony above.

One could comment on #18 at Painswick, but that hole is not what Painswick is about.

James B

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2007, 05:03:28 PM »
I can think of a number of British courses which at one time had no sand bunkers, among them Portpatrick in Scotland.  Unfortunately they have seen fit to put one or two in, and they seem out of place and utterly unnecessary.  I can see the problem if a member plays only at a bunkerless course and once in a while plays a sand-bunkered course.  He or she will be in for a surprise.  

It's a bit like the old London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.  As I understand it, when it was conceived it had no tunnels between Brighton and London, but the directors deemed that passengers would expect tunnels, so several cuttings were constructed with roofs to satisfy the potential passengers.

Paul Payne

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2007, 05:08:27 PM »
Mark,

I am smiling and laughing and crying. Bunker additions being compared to artificial tunnels to make the consumer happy.

That indeed is an unusual story. It also hammers home the point that the consumer gets what he wants and if bunkers it is, then bunkers he will get.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back