News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Why hasn't the Old Course style been attempted in the United States:
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »
Because there aren't that many people who would be charmed, intrigued, enthralled and enamored of fairways that intersect, bunkers that you can't escape in the direction of the hole and the lunar landscape look of the place in general.  In short, we're the minority, Bunky, and most everybody else likes trees, flowers, bushes, easy exit bunkers and island greens.

Terry:

That's probably the correct answer, but how about Herb Kohler. He buys the Hotel at the Old Course, he is one very smart dude, tee times are nearly impossible to obtain, he has 4 courses in Wisconsin and there is plenty of featuresless land that Pete Dye could have a field day with.

He could call it Dye at St. Andrews. Do you think it would fail?

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 12:13:38 PM »
Cary,
It wouldn't fail for Kohler in Wisconsin as long as the Spa and rooms were top notch :(

I need the smiley that has a finger in his throat
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
Cary,
Sine you've played two attempts and they "both left you cold" --haven't you answered your own question?

certainly the dual fairways and double greens would be modern day liability concerns ,as well as the soil and climate demands of producing similar turf.

I'd like to think many of the better,well traveled architects are influenced absractly by The Old Course in their thinking every time they design any course.

Maybe is would take a Doak or C & C to validate the worthiness of this concept, design it and pull it off. If it was done at Bandon, why wouldn't it be successful?

I agree here Cary,

I think this could really work at a site like Bandon because it has the soil for it and the people behind it who would be committed to making it as authentic as possible.

And if memory serves correctly that piece of land for the oldMcDonald site is fairly flatish and could run in a corridor like TOC.

Any thoughts Tom?

tlavin

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »
Because there aren't that many people who would be charmed, intrigued, enthralled and enamored of fairways that intersect, bunkers that you can't escape in the direction of the hole and the lunar landscape look of the place in general.  In short, we're the minority, Bunky, and most everybody else likes trees, flowers, bushes, easy exit bunkers and island greens.

Terry:

That's probably the correct answer, but how about Herb Kohler. He buys the Hotel at the Old Course, he is one very smart dude, tee times are nearly impossible to obtain, he has 4 courses in Wisconsin and there is plenty of featuresless land that Pete Dye could have a field day with.

He could call it Dye at St. Andrews. Do you think it would fail?

Cary

It would probably do fine as part of his resort, but I'm not sure that it would be a draw on its own. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think so.  Quirky and charming on an old classic layout can wind up looking and feeling contrived and man-made on something new.

In terms of Pete Dye, I'm sure he's capable of great things, but building a St. Andrews-like links on "featureless" land does seem like a stretch.  One only needs to compare the amount of dirt moved at Whistling Straits and that removed at Sand Hills to know the answer.

Whistling Straits is everything that's good and bad about modern golf.  It is a big, brawny lakeside links that pays homage to the great oceanside courses of the United Kingdom, but all of those course were natural and Whistling Straits is to Sheboygan what Shadow Creek is to Las Vegas: a man-made golf course that is entirely enjoyable from tee to green but which has precious little resemblance to the land from which it was created.  Good and bad.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »
Could it be that none of the architects are talented enough to pull something like this off?

Or is it developer driven entirely?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:33:19 PM by cary lichtenstein »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brad Tufts

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 01:53:23 PM »
I disagree with the notion that people aren't clamoring for TOC or Fenway Park.

Maybe not exact replicas, but designers are being asked to design "classically-styled" golf courses all the time.  See BD, PD, BT, Sebonack, SH, Ballyneal, etc...

Concurrently, every new ballpark is built in the "retro" style with brick facades, old-style scoreboards, etc.  This was started with Camden Yards, and has continued to SBC Park in SF, Comerica in Detroit, Coors Field, Minute Maid Park in Houston, Miller Park in Milwaukee, Citizens Bank Ballpark, The Ballpark at Arlington, etc...Just check out plans for the Mets tribute to Ebbets Field and the "New" Yankee Stadium will look just like the original one from the outside.

All clearly emulate Fenway and Wrigley with more seats and better amenities, much like new "classically-styled" golf courses use more modern maintenance, irrigation, and turfgrass technology.

Check out the HOK sport website, the company that designs some of these retro ballparks, and in many ways, it compares favorably to that of Renaissance Golf Design in the GCA world.  HOK even does improvements to places like Wrigley, just like the restoration/renovation architects of today.

http://www.hoksve.com/sport/projects/proj_list_alpha_1.htm
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 01:57:08 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 02:28:05 PM »
Cary - The better question might be why someone has not attempted the "Kingsbarns Style" in the US. Kingbarns was built on a totally flat potato farm... and is now considered worthy of hosting an Open Championship in some circles.

With all the flat land in Florida and along the SC coast I don't understand why someone hasn't tried to create a true links type course, ala Kingsbarns. Americans are willing to fly across the ocean and pay $400 for the privilege of playing Kingbarns... why not build something similar here that could be played for far less money?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »
Michael-
Atlantic is the Kingsbarn of its' generation.
or the back nine at South Fork by Gil Hanse.
East Hampton GC. Tallgrass
Seems like there are lots of examples of faux links on farmland.

I'm pretty sure if you removed Kingsbarns from the ocean you'd hear quite a bit less about it.
The New course at Crail by Hanse suffers from this very phenomena
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Andy Levett

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »
To be fair, the Old Course style hasn't been attempted in GB&I either, in terms of double fairways, double greens, w-i-d-t-h, etc.
Truly it is a paradox wrapped inside an enigma to which the only answer is a riddle.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2007, 09:20:22 PM »
To be fair, the Old Course style hasn't been attempted in GB&I either, in terms of double fairways, double greens, w-i-d-t-h, etc.
Truly it is a paradox wrapped inside an enigma to which the only answer is a riddle.

Andy's got it in a nutshell, everybody loves it, nobody knows why and everyone with money wouldn't try to emulate it for fear of failure. Whew, now that we got that straight, we need to go on to the next paradox
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 09:20:47 PM by cary lichtenstein »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2007, 11:25:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure if you removed Kingsbarns from the ocean you'd hear quite a bit less about it.
The New course at Crail by Hanse suffers from this very phenomena
But, it IS on the ocean! I don't necessarily agree with your premise, but couldn't you make that statement about any seaside course? Don't you think all seaside courses benefit from their surroundings?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 06:28:38 AM »
Cary,
I have not read any of the posts on this thread other than your first one (someone may have already said this), but The Old Course style has been the inspiration for far more of the golf architecture in this country than you can imagine.  I guess I am surprised you don't see that?  If you are talking about a "replica course" that is one thing, but if you are talking about "style", then you need to study the evolution of golf course design a bit more.
Mark

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 06:34:48 AM »
Cary,
I have not read any of the posts on this thread other than your first one (someone may have already said this), but The Old Course style has been the inspiration for far more of the golf architecture in this country than you can imagine.  I guess I am surprised you don't see that?  If you are talking about a "replica course" that is one thing, but if you are talking about "style", then you need to study the evolution of golf course design a bit more.
Mark

Mark:

You may want to read thru the posts, we've already addreesed your points

Cary

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2007, 07:46:57 AM »
Michael,
You're right.
Absolutely it is on the ocean and it's GREAT.
I was (weakly) trying to make the point other courses had done the faux links thing on farmland.(perhaps not as well and sometimes not directly adjacent to the sea)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 08:51:11 AM »
other courses had done the faux links thing on farmland

Other than the New Course at Grande Cypress, I don't know of another course in Florida or SC that is a true faux links... and, there are certainly none on the ocean. I guess property with a view of the water is too valuable for something as trivial as golf.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:53:08 AM by Michael Whitaker »

jeffwarne

« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2007, 09:00:27 AM »
Michael.
there is Heathland at The Legends
I enjoyed that course a lot and it definitely had a linksy feel

PThomas

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2007, 09:11:40 AM »
A gentle piece of ground in the sand hills region would work well for the concept.

hint hint/nudge nudge to some rich guy who wants to build his own course.....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2007, 10:26:15 AM »
I think the Old Course "style" is everywhere on good courses, hopefully it continues to inspire CGAs to create their own versions of classic holes, or better still, classic shot challenges.  
I enjoy the New Course at Grand Cypress but not because its a copy of the Old Course, but because its different and fun.  I only want to play the OC right where it is, in St.Andrews, surrounded by the town and its history.  It could not be duplicated successfully in Bandon IMO.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »
Andy Staples (with John Fought) is working on a fascinating site and course in Utah.

http://www.sandhollowresort.com/golf.php

I visited a few weeks ago and am pleased to report that someone is, indeed, using St. Andrews as a model for a U.S. design.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »
Forrest,

Thanks for that post.  I'm just up the road a few hours.  Looks like they are making a full 18 and a 9 hole course. Do you know if Andy and John would accomadate a visit to the site?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2007, 07:14:10 PM »
I am not sure if the developer allows visits. I was there for a meeting with some builders. Andy's website is:

www.thegolfresourcegroup.com
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 07:15:11 PM by Forrest Richardson »
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2007, 10:05:24 PM »
I'll be in that area in Sept 2007. Any change it will be open at that time?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2007, 09:33:13 AM »
I doubt it will open until 2008 Spring. That is my guess.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2007, 10:13:24 AM »
Maybe the problem is that a true "Old Course" here would need to be a members course where it could be played many times to learn it. That seems to be the thing about the Old. All the R&A guys I have talked to thought it took them more than a dozen rounds to get a decent handle on how to play it with their game. I have about 6 rounds there and still don't have a good strategy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:14:13 AM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 12:08:07 AM »
Andy Staples (with John Fought) is working on a fascinating site and course in Utah.

http://www.sandhollowresort.com/golf.php

I visited a few weeks ago and am pleased to report that someone is, indeed, using St. Andrews as a model for a U.S. design.

How does a front nine surrounded by housing and a back nine routed through housing replicate the Old Course?  
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back