News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re:Interesting article on some New England architects
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »
Haha...high comedy...

How about #5, downhill so steeply the front of the tee obscures the fairway....and I think #15 with the super-narrow tee shot (with a shorter club than D I admit though).  The Silva-Raynor thing is seen especially on that last par 3.  Some deep, squarish bunkers there.  I've actually walked the course too, not good especially from 17 green to 18 tee.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2007, 03:21:20 PM »
Brad,

I played Campbell's in the fall. It is very short. Lots of forced layups and some pretty bad holes. I would play there again, but only because there are so few other options.

Windham is slightly better. Again, many holes with forced layups and a few incredibly tight drives. My one round there was in a torential spring rain, so my judgment is perhaps clouded.

Portsmouth is at the top of my list for this summer. I'm also trying to convince my wife that I need to join Renaissance, but she's not budging.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
Yeah, I've never seen Campbell's, so I'm only going on hearsay.

Portsmouth is actually really good, and I'm not one to be real into the RTJ thing.  It does encourage gripping and ripping, which can be fun, and there are a few ocean/bay holes.

As for Renaissance, it's still on my list of courses to see.  The head pro there is a former Myopia assistant, and I got to know him a bit while at Myopia b/c he used to give lessons there before the RC range was ready.  A fellow Tedesco member of mine was the original club developer/president, but has since left amidst all of the struggles the project has had.  Despite the long wait, I hear the course is actually pretty good.  There are apparently many waste areas and classical throwback touches on the course.  I will have to check it out one of these years.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:29:14 PM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »
Dan, I played Portsmouth in 2002, and it was quite a slog due to yet another rainy spring.

I enjoyed the course (probably because I played well), but I didn't think it was worth the $100 or so they charged.

And you can just forget about Pease...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 03:41:37 PM by Martin Del Vecchio »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back