News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Monterey Schmeninshula...
« on: February 08, 2007, 06:34:33 PM »
Watching the AT&T, I am reminded in the most visceral way of our visit there, just over a year ago. (Where DOES the time go?)

What an utterly magnificent area of land it is. I know I go on a bit - ad nauseum :P - of the qualities of ground and landscape generally, but in this instance this is THE REAL DEAL.

I cannot look at the images on the telly without feeling such a warm glow. I like to think it comes from a combination of seeing great golf courses, phenomenal views, sounds and scents and of meeting great people, good friends and fine golfing companions.

Sometimes, I think, GCA FORGETS the peripheral things with which golf is concerned. I, and I hope at least some of you others, don't. Golf can simply be about brotherhood, sisterhood and cameraderie. DESIGN is about ENHANCING those qualities.

I know, I will NEVER forget my time on the Peninsula. That might only be a value which applies to me, but maybe if it applied to all of us, GCA (and the general golfing world -whatever that is) might be a better place.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Monterey Schmeninshula...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 06:36:16 PM »
Paging Mr. Mucci... required reading for the health of your golf soul... Paging Mr. Patrick "architecture is all that matters" Mucci... your fate hangs in the balance.....

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 06:51:02 PM »
I agree Martin,

The first time I laid eyes on the area and did the 17 mile drive thing, I was just struck down in absolute awe.  Didn't Dr. MacK say something like "A finer meeting of earth and sea I have never seen."  And I would have to agree.  I have driven pretty much the whole length of the west coast from Southern Cali all the way up to Washington state, and I haven't seen a finer place.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 06:58:58 PM »
Aye Marty, you Scots have an inherited Auld Lang Syne nostalgia gene. ;D

It is the best of life to have such experiences and then the capacity to reminisce.

I cannot look at the images on the telly without feeling such a warm glow. I like to think it comes from a combination of seeing great golf courses, phenomenal views, sounds and scents and of meeting great people, good friends and fine golfing companions.

Such encounters should remain rare, yet everyone who cares, should have an opportunity to experience them at least once.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 07:14:41 PM »
Huck,
I know your humor very neatly conceals your genuine heart-felt beliefs. I KNOW you simply GET IT. Life, and golfing life, is waaay too short to be a 'young old git'. Carpe diem golfium! ;)

Kalen,
we are spiritual brethren now. I will send you the email requiring the whole thrashing yourself with heather, daubing your body with peat-dirt and naked moss-eating thing. Welcome to the dark side - Cirba will visit soon.

Uncle Dick,
Auld Lang Syne is only a wee dram away. I KNOW we shall share one soon. The Glenlivet awaits....

FBD.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:51:08 PM »
You know it's a special place when live footage of windy, gray weather gets you all warm and fuzzy inside...

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 07:52:31 PM »
I love the Monterey Peninsula.

I love the golf on The Monterey Peninsula.

I wish I could spend long periods of my life on The Monterey Peninsula.

I love most things that Bill Murray has done. I even liked him in Razor's Edge.

That said, I can't stand watching "The ATT It Is Not Even Close To Being The Crosby" anymore, and I never need to see George Lopez, Kevin Costner, Bill Murray playing golf on TV again! I am sure it would be a fun event to play in but this weekend is time for college hoops!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:53:34 PM by Mike Sweeney »

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 07:59:03 PM »
I love the Monterey Peninsula.

I love the golf on The Monterey Peninsula.

I wish I could spend long periods of my life on The Monterey Peninsula.

I love most things that Bill Murray has done. I even liked him in Razor's Edge.

That said, I can't stand watching "The ATT It Is Not Even Close To Being The Crosby" anymore, and I never need to see George Lopez, Kevin Costner, Bill Murray playing golf on TV again! I am sure it would be a fun event to play in but this weekend is time for college hoops!

C'mon, Mike...you must have enjoyed a couple of years ago when Bill Murray got on his tear and suddenly started playing like a plus-2 from 6-12 at Pebble (or thereabouts).  

I recall sitting in front of the television with my jaw on the floor as he carved slice after slice on on top of flagsticks.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 07:59:37 PM by Ryan Simper »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
Ryan,

You went to Middlebury. You think college hoops is some sort of game played on cross country skis during Winterfest!  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »
Martin, Having once found the peninsula I was fortunate to live there for 6 years. Never was there a moment of under appreciation, for it is America's golfing kingdom. Especially on days when the rest of the country is shrowded in cold, golfing in the kingdom makes one feel every sense.

Odd, how now living in the center of the continent, where the cold is especially long staying this year, I don't feel one incling to get back there for anything but a visit.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »
Didn't Dr. MacK say something like "A finer meeting of earth and sea I have never seen."

Robert Louis Stevenson! "The most beautiful association of land and sea in the world."

His grandfather was the great Scot who built the Bell Rock Lighthouse.

rjsimper

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 09:28:05 PM »
Ryan,

You went to Middlebury. You think college hoops is some sort of game played on cross country skis during Winterfest!  ;)

This I cannot argue  ;D

I can, however, say that the Bruins have taken care of their Trojan business for the week...a fact which pleases me greatly.

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 10:15:52 PM »

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 10:31:59 PM »

That's an impressive landscape.....Gore-Tex, Martin?

;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »
Mike,

At Middlebury, college hoops is something played with four guys, 20 solo cups, two pong balls, a function table, and a sixpack...

;)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »
Mike,

At Middlebury, college hoops is something played with four guys, 20 solo cups, two pong balls, a function table, and a sixpack...

;)

Well done; that's what we used to say about the 4 guys that played with Nash....a personal favorite from school was "better to have no team at all....than a lousy one".

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Birkert

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 11:41:37 AM »
I have just booked my flight for my first trip to the Monterey Peninsula. It's a bit pricey but I've justified it as an early 30th birthday present for myself!

I am very excited, I am hoping the weather is June should be pretty good, we're now working on getting on the various courses we want.

Love the pics of Cypress, it really does look absolutely spectacular! The last time I was in LA I stayed with a friend who has a framed picture of his wife at impact on that tee, she had to hit driver and her impact position is absolutely perfect.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »

That's an impressive landscape.....Gore-Tex, Martin?

;D

Joe

...I was thinking more like 'what a blot on the landscape'. There really should be laws governing the despoiling of sites of outstanding natural beauty by fat, baldy scotsmen in golfwear, shouldn't there!

Definitely Boab-Tex (Uncle Boab's kindly lent overtroosers!) ;D

FBD.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Didn't Dr. MacK say something like "A finer meeting of earth and sea I have never seen."

Robert Louis Stevenson! "The most beautiful association of land and sea in the world."

His grandfather was the great Scot who built the Bell Rock Lighthouse.

Thanks Mark

Adam Clayman

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »
Mark, Wasn't Stevenson describing Big Sur in that quote?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 10:29:24 PM »
I agree Martin,

The first time I laid eyes on the area and did the 17 mile drive thing, I was just struck down in absolute awe.  Didn't Dr. MacK say something like "A finer meeting of earth and sea I have never seen."  And I would have to agree.  I have driven pretty much the whole length of the west coast from Southern Cali all the way up to Washington state, and I haven't seen a finer place.

Methinks you had your eyes closed while traversing the Oregon Coast!
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 05:28:05 AM »
Kalen,

You're welcome.

Adam,

You're right. For some reason (=marketing), people have appropriated it for Monterey.

Maybe the analog is how realtors manage to stretch the boundaries of upscale neighborhoods or towns.

Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 08:49:19 AM »
I agree Martin,

Methinks you had your eyes closed while traversing the Oregon Coast!
 ;D

Well my wife always says that I drive like I have my eyes closed, but thats another issue.

Obviously this is a personal preference thing, and yes the Oregon coastline in its whole, beats out any equivilant stretch in CA.  But for a short 20-25 mile stretch of ocean front property, the MP just can't be beat.   :P

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »

Paging Mr. Mucci... required reading for the health of your golf soul... Paging Mr. Patrick "architecture is all that matters" Mucci... your fate hangs in the balance.....

Tom Huckaby,

What you fail to realize is that it's "showtime"

That's what the producers want you to see, the Blimp's eye view, the "pictures", the window dressing. That and those hacker celebrities who take ten minutes in their pre swing routine and then hit the ball 30 yards off target.  They know they're getting air time so they drag out their time on camera, and as a result, the broadcast is dreadful.

The CAMERAS rarely focus on what the golfer sees, and that's what I'm interested in.

Views are nice, but, without a golf course of merit, that's all you have.

I don't play golf for the views.
I may enjoy them, but, it's the quality of the architecture and the challenge it presents to me that I enjoy.

I call Tommy Naccarato to the stand to testify on Pelican Hills and Sandpines

James Bennett

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2007, 06:56:19 PM »
One of my favourite photos, reposted for Martin (Patrick can appreciate the eleveation change of #7 at Pebble Beach).  I saw a similar image on the telecast - taken from the vicinity of #17 green at Pebble looking South

James B

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back