News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Royal Pedrena
« on: February 06, 2007, 08:45:36 PM »
I have been watching alot of Shell's reruns lately and came across one I had not seen in a while. The match between Seve and Kite at Seve's home club, the above mentioned course. While it was painful watching Seve struggling again, I remembered how neat this course looked the first time I saw this match. There have been a few bunkers that are grassed in, but there is alot of Colt left it appears. It appears to have lots of ground movement. While it seems there is a need for some tree removal, the course looks like it has alot of character. I wonder if any from across the pond have played this? If so, what are your thoughts?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Paul_Turner

Re:Royal Pedrena
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:57:07 PM »
David

My DVR inexplicably stopped recording it after 3 holes, but even by then the course looked very nice and Seve was already embarrassing at +4.

Super looking greens, bold land,  you could see how Seve honed his short game as a lad there.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:00:57 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mike_Clayton

Re:Royal Pedrena
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:54:07 AM »
The Spanish Open was there in 1988.
It was probably the least good of all the old Colt or Simpson courses we played on the continent which had a lot to do with a small,hilly site on heavy soil.
From memory it was quite short - maybe 6600 yards- with a three very long difficult short holes - 2,10 and 15.
All were two or three iron shots and the 2nd especially was a fantastic hole with probably the best bunkering on the course.
The 10th was the most difficul hole on the course - a hole across a deep valley to a small green high on the opposite hill and a steep drop off on the right. It was not as good a hole as 2 but it was extremely demanding.
The par fives were short so they were mostly drives and long irons so it is easy to understand why Seve was such a great long iron player - for such a short course he was hitting seven or eight a day into small greens.
I don't remember any particularly long par fours but more driver middle or short iron holes.
The greens were small,not overly contoured and because I was looking at them through the eyes of a player and not an architect I don't have a great memory of just how good they were.I suspect they were a lot more interesting from and architectural and construction point of view that any of the players,including me, gave it credit for.

It always struck me as a perfect course for a young player to learn how to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back