News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Zeni

Photos Of The Glory Of The Shore Course at MPCC
« on: February 04, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »
Monterey Peninsula Country Club aka MPCC, is cradled between Spanish Bay and Spyglass Hill. It's a 36 hole private preserve. The emenities are endless, the golf is superb, and the scenery is glorious. Maybe Jack Nicklaus would play Pebble if he only had one round to play, but there is no doubt in my mind he would enjoy MPCC far more.

In my three sojourns to the Monterey Peninsula, I've been truly honored to be hosted by the inimitable Bob Huntley. A more gracious accomodating man you cannot find. His classic setup and putting skill are matched only by his keen wit and sense of humor.

Also in our group is a good friend from San Jose, Tom Huckaby. Tom is a first rate golfer, and his tips on hitting into the wind are priceless. He's also a member of the NCGA and when I have any questions about golf in California, Tom is my go-to-guy. I think often of them both. The stories, the golf, my enjoyment of their company and the unmatched beauty of the 17 mile drive.

Enjoy the 26 photos and the comments ....

As with most great venues, the entrance is an understated elegance.

The new Driving Range...

Black Tail Deer that really own the place.

The first hole of the Shore Course is a par 5. This is the 2nd shot area.

The par 3 Third hole replete with crosswinds. It's the strength of the Par 3's that are the backbone of The Shore Course.

The Par 4 4th Hole with a waste area on the right. 2nd shot area.

A scenic view....

Bob Huntley with his deft chipping style.

As you will note, save the first 3 holes, Carmel Bay is ever present.

Note the architecture of this green. The left side with the protruding shelf over the bunker in a mirror image of a wave from Carmel Bay.

A closer view...

You'll find the snack bar, with chef, between the 5th and 6th hole. Neither the Shore or the Dunes Course goes back to the clubhouse at the 9th.

One of Tom Huckaby's perfect finishes.

Bob with his Hoganesque finish.

Par 3 7th hole - 203 yds - all carry. We were playing Wolf. Bob was the Wolfman, and chose me after my 5 wood shot sailed directly over the flag. I went Pig. Or, triple the bet. It was me against the other three. I made a lot of money on this hole.

While T. Huckaby was hot for the entire round, I was hot in the middle of the round. My tee shot is pictured. I had an 8 iron to the green, but the wind, once again, landed it on the front edge of the green.

The meandering Par 5 10th on the Shore Course.

Bob and Tom have reached the 15th green. My ball resides on the right edge.

The most majestic hole on the Shore Course is the Par 3 11th. It's 178yd into a right to left wind from Carmel Bay. And we had a blustery day. My 5 wood landed in the greenside bunker in the swail. You'll notice the dunes of Spyglass Hill in the upper left, and on a clear day, the 14th hole of Cypress Point.

We're teeing it from where? Bob is with another guest from Dallas. Very nice man, and a fine player.

From the teeing area with Bob

..and with Tom

One view is more scenic than the other.

With the strong winds from Carmel Bay, the course played long.

That's Spyglass Hill in the background.

In the rough, into the wind, and a back flag. The only good news was my ball was sitting up.

An aerial view of the Par 5 10th, and the Par 4 11th, and its green to the right. The 17 Mile Drive below.

Also included a few pics from the 18th Hole at Pebble Beach. And who was playing that day? President Bill Clinton. The former President may have taken 3 to get out of the 18th greenside bunker, but he's a Pro President, not a Pro golfer.

Hope you enjoyed the photos as well as the reduced size so there is no need to move each post to view the entire photo.

tom

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:34:05 AM by Tom Zeni »

PThomas

Re:Photos Of The Glory Of The Shore Course at MPCC
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:16:53 PM »
always nice to see pics of MPCC and Sir Bob ,Tom...the day I played several of the flags were blown out of the holes..probably the windiest day of golf I've ever experienced!

and even Huck looks pretty good in your pictures! ;)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Zeni

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
You did have a tough day to golf. It was getting to that point near the end of our round. Tom had a great scoring day, and Bob was putting lights out.

As I said, it was my 3rd trip to Monterey. The two previous times, it was chamber of commerce weather.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 05:43:27 PM by Tom Zeni »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
I always introduce that photo as " Did I tell you who my playing partner was at Pebble?"

President Clinton held court for about 20 minutes near the 18th hole. It was indeed special.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 06:42:09 PM »
Who was golfing with Clinton? We didn't recognize anyone. However, Tony Blair, Al Gore, etc were there for a conference at Spanish Bay. Blair and Gore played earlier in the day.

President Clinton said he didn't arrive until 3AM, so his tee time was pushed back. He played 9 holes at Pebble, and was to finish at Spyglass. After 20 minutes he said he really had to leave because of the next tee time.

He answered everyone's questions from his Saxaphone playing to Iraq. Didn't dodge a one.

Coral_Ridge

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
A couple of questions to anyone.  I'm sure this course has been discussed in other threads over the years, but who designed it?  What are others unbiased opinions of this golf course?

Tom Zeni

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »
The redesign was by Michael Strantz. This was his last effort prior to his passing.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 07:17:19 PM »
Talk about a memorable round of golf!   ;D 8)
And, three titled gentlemen; POTUS, Sir, and America's guest. ;) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 08:33:59 PM »
 :-X  :-X  :-X

Just practicing.  ;)

Doug

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »
So how much lighter were your pockets - and the rest of the group - after a game of Wolf with Bob Huntley?  ;D

Tom Zeni

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:48:15 PM »
Bill, as I mentioned, I got hot in the middle of the round, and ended up only losing "one dollar!" Huck was the big winner. He played well, and chose well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 08:53:46 PM »
That's interesting.  I have never heard of Sir Boab losing money in a "friendly" game of Wolf.

Tom Zeni

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 08:56:35 PM »
I didn't say he did. I only said, Huck was the big winner.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »
Aha.  So you won $1, Huck was "the big winner," and Sir Boab didn't lose money.  Player #4 was obviously not a happy camper!

Tom Zeni

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »
No Bill. I said, I "LOST" one dollar. And if it's any help, the low-handicapper from Dallas didn't have a good day putting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 09:17:39 PM by Tom Zeni »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 09:21:52 PM »
Gotcha.  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »
TZ - thanks for posting these cool pics from what was indeed a very memorable day... a rare rare rare rare very rare occassion I didn't have to dip into the wallet at the end to pay bets to Mr. Huntley.

;D ;D

And thanks for the kind words.  Drag is a lot of regulars here know better about me.   ;)

That is one fantastic golf course - rare indeed when pictures are better than one's memory.

TH
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:09:13 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 10:32:44 AM »
Tom-
Always a thrill to visit Monterey and golf with you and Bob. With your swing and club selections in the wind, you had it all going that day. All we needed was a few rays of sunshine to reveal the full glory of MPCC.

If anyone would care to see the 2003 sojourn to Monterey and MPCC Dunes course over a few brilliant chamber of commerce days, including pics of the 15&16 holes of Cypress Point, you can find them at my website of  http://www.icubed.com/~trz/  Just click on the thumbnails for the full pic and remarks about the holes. Also included is our trek to Presidio, and the SoCal courses of Industry Hills and Tustin Ranch.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 01:38:14 PM »
Tom Zemi,

Thanks for the pictures.

Bob is a most gracious host.

He's fortunate to be able to play those wonderful golf courses in that setting.

Bob,

Why would you ever want to leave such a special place to play with the bums on this website ?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 01:55:31 PM »
Tom Zemi,

Thanks for the pictures.

Bob is a most gracious host.

He's fortunate to be able to play those wonderful golf courses in that setting.

Bob,

Why would you ever want to leave such a special place to play with the bums on this website ?

Patrick:

During a not too long ago round with Bob on the Shore, I asked him a very similar question:  that is, you have these two great courses, why would you ever leave?

Bob's answer:  "we don't."

He's always been incredibly wise.

;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:59:29 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 02:09:47 PM »
TH,

I recalled you telling me of that exchange, and I was about to provide Patrick with the same response!

There is only one inimitable Mr. Huntley. We are fortunate that he is not only gracious, but accomodating in sharing the glory of MPCC with us.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 09:27:20 PM »
livin' the dream with Bubba!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »

The most majestic hole on the Shore Course is the Par 3 11th. It's 178yd into a right to left wind from Carmel Bay. And we had a blustery day. My 5 wood landed in the greenside bunker in the swail. You'll notice the dunes of Spyglass Hill in the upper left, and on a clear day, the 14th hole of Cypress Point.

We're teeing it from where? Bob is with another guest from Dallas. Very nice man, and a fine player.

Am I the only one that is really put off by these boulders..I'm sure they must be natural but they just don't look like ocean side rock formations as I would have imagined.  I think it would have been a better course without them.  note:  I heart Huntley as much as anybody.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 10:36:47 PM »
JakaB,

You may recall that I questioned their fitting in and was told that there's an abundance of rock outcroppings on the site which makes them blend in.

It's just hard for me to see that from the pictures.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 10:37:08 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tom Zeni

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »
Gents,

From the aerial view photo, which is precisely why it's depicted, can either of you say that the rock formations don't blend with the scenery?

And if your reply is that you don't play from an aerial view, I would tell you that concept is folly. From the tee, we all look outward toward the green. None of us walk to the edge of an elevated tee, except to notice the scenery, or to have their photo taken.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back