News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

Golf Mag Thrifty 50
« on: February 01, 2007, 02:21:45 PM »
Saw this online. Not a bad list IMO. No comment on the course comments though.

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/travel/features/article/0,17742,1574760,00.html?escapes_third_image_013107

Edit: for some reason this link won't work by clicking on it--you need to paste it in your browser (unless someone else can send a good link).

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 02:26:55 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Sébastien Dhaussy

Re:Golf Mag Thrifty 50
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 02:38:47 PM »
Doug,

With Tinyurl, you can shorten the links : http://tinyurl.com/2zxcrl

;)
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »
Here are the ones I have played.  I've enjoyed them all.  
I wonder how conditioning factors into the ranking.  I would rank Old Works and Willingers quite a bit lower and Big Fish #3.

1.   1. Wild Horse Golf Club
2.   2. Rustic Canyon Golf Course
3.   3. Old Works Golf Course  
4.   7. Willinger's Golf Club
5.   12. Santa Ana Golf Club (Tamaya/Cheena Course)
6.   21. Texarkana Golf Ranch
7.   22. Amana Colonies Golf Course
8.   25. Big Fish
9.   49. Papago Municipal Golf Course

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:50:23 PM »

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:50:49 PM »
And if you enclose the URL in the proper way, it will work.

Of course, it's impossible to demonstrate the proper way, because that will result in a clickable URL.

But before the URL, put an open bracket character ('['), then 'url', then a close bracket character (']').

Then the URL.

Then after the url, put an open bracket ('['), a slash ('/'), then 'url', then a close bracket (']').

Which results in this:

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/travel/features/article/0,17742,1574760,00.html?escapes_third_image_013107

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:05:48 PM »
Doug,
  Thanks for posting the link.
    In no way is Callippe Preserve in the same league as the Rawls course in Texas. Metropolitan Golf Links next to the Oakland Airport is a superior course architecturally, and didn't even make the list.
    Wild Horse and Rustic are certainly deserving of their rankings of the few on the list I have seen personally.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 03:12:15 PM »
Only two courses in the Northeast.   :'(

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »
Ed:

What part of this ranking mentioned "architecture"?  It's a bang for your buck list.

I too find it strange though that Callippe rates so highly.  Boy a lot of people really do seem to love that course... As for Metropolitan, well... as much as we do enjoy it, I have to believe it's not for everyone.  Airport views and treeless faux links in an urban setting is just not many people's cup of tea.

Interesting so little respect for the Rawls course though, relatively.  Why do you think that might be?  Of course I've never been there and I can safely say it's damn likely I never will.

TH

JohnV

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 03:14:07 PM »
And if you enclose the URL in the proper way, it will work.

Of course, it's impossible to demonstrate the proper way, because that will result in a clickable URL.

But before the URL, put an open bracket character ('['), then 'url', then a close bracket character (']').

Then the URL.

Then after the url, put an open bracket ('['), a slash ('/'), then 'url', then a close bracket (']').

Which results in this:

The third way is to do the following:

[open bracket]url=http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/travel/features/article/0,17742,1574760,00.html?escapes_third_image_013107[close  bracket]Here is the link[open bracket]/url[close bracket]

Which gives you:
Here is the link

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »
I've played:

Wild Horse
Rustic Canyon
Pinon Hills
Tokatee
Wailua
Pacific Grove

They are all worth every penny they cost.  My ordering of them would be pretty close to that  WH and RC both great, the others good.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 03:21:12 PM »
Rock Hollow in Indiana at #11 is very deserving. I haven't played that many of the others so it would be hard to determine whether the number is correct...but its really good!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
Doug --

Dan and and I played Big Fish a while back, and we'd take you there in a heartbeat -- it's a great value, and a beautiful, tough course -- but I don't think we could get you back to Minikahda in time for the afternoon shotgun.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »
My list includes...

01. Wild Horse
22. Amana Colonies
25. Big Fish
29. Prairie Highlands
35. Wailua Municipal

All are a great value and oh so fun to play. A course that is "borderline" costwise that would also easily make the list (from my former state of residence) is The Harvester.

Big Fish is like two separate courses, Amana had some very fun playing coordiors through the trees, and Wild horse well...what needs to be said that hasn;t already been said here?  ;D 8)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »
I'm really kind of surprised that Eastmoreland in Portland, Oregon isn't on the list.  It is quite a golf course, a bit funky in spots but definitely a Chandler Egan classic.  It is a GREAT walk.

Doug Wright

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »
Doug --

Dan and and I played Big Fish a while back, and we'd take you there in a heartbeat -- it's a great value, and a beautiful, tough course -- but I don't think we could get you back to Minikahda in time for the afternoon shotgun.

Rick,

Guess we'll need to order the helicopter... ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »
Still, Joe did a pretty good job except for "Carnoustie of the corn belt."  That was corny.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 05:00:51 PM by Jay Flemma »

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »

They ought to do a thrifty / bang for your buck private list.
I bet there are some great private deals that net under $50 a round.

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

JNC Lyon

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 05:17:27 PM »
Where is Oak Hollow in High Point, NC??  $15 for a 1971 Pete Dye classic.  Too bad no one knows about this course.  Winston Lake in NC could also make this list (although its not as good Oak Hollow).
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 05:40:26 PM »
Hey Minnesota guys, I'm embarrassed that I haven't seen Big Fish yet.  Can we rectify that this coming spring with a rendevous?  What about this Willinger's?  I never heard of it.  A pretty decent weekend would be meeting at Big Fish, heading on in to the TC and having some Punch's pizza, then heading out next day to Willingers!  If it is as good as the article says. ;) ;D

Hey Nunzio,  ;)  Can I get in on the ground floor of that new private in LaVacca for under $50 a round  ;) :o ::)

I bet that would be a great affordable private list! Good idea, Mike.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 05:48:10 PM »
Dick, you're on.

Start checking your calendar for weekends in May (Big Fish might be a bit brutal in April, plus I think you'd want to see a little green on the back nine hardwoods.) I'm sure we can coordinate something with Dan Kelly, and maybe Jason Topp and/or Jeff Shelman.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

ed_getka

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »
Tom,
   Unless the courses are ranked by cost, then architecture is a factor. You bring up a good point though as Callippe is certainly a nicer walk in the park than Metropolitan. I haven't seen the Rawls course either, but have heard enough from people who know my tastes to know I will see it some day.
   BTW, you can borrow my snowshoes for Bandon. I just want you to have some piece of mind before you head north. ;)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
Ed:

You're gonna have to explain to me what you mean by "architecture."  I don't see that having any role in this list whatsoever.. not as I believe you define it anyway.  But I stand ready to be enlightened.

As for snowshoes, if I need them, I'm also gonna need a good lawyer because someone's gonna die for that.

;D

ed_getka

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007, 07:19:14 PM »
[

As for snowshoes, if I need them, I'm also gonna need a good lawyer because someone's gonna die for that.

;D

Tom,
    Why do I get the feeling you are spending a lot of time on weather websites? 8)

Everyone has a different take on what they prefer in a golf course. I prefer cool greens with interesting contours and a variety of short game requirements, etc... Some people like flowers. I spoke to one golfer who preferred Coeur d'Alene over Sand Hills, because of flowers. Another golfer thought Fishers Island should be marked down because the turf was so firm his Rolex would come unclasped and fall off. Different strokes for different folks.
   I just find the centerline bunkers, greens, and the various challenges of Metropolitan to be superior to what I find at Callippe. Callippe does have the front 9 par 4 that goes uphill and doglegs left that I thought was quite good. There is a dropshot par 3 on the back nine that has an interesting green. The last couple of holes are a stern finish so the course is not without its merits. Plus I can play there for $13 at 2pm as a resident. 8)  For $13 its worth just skipping the range and getting in some real world practice.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »
Find it hard to believe Scotland Yards was left off the list!

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2007, 07:46:26 PM »
Brooksville CC would DEFINITELY qualify.
We played that and Scotland Yards last week on a doubleheader.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back