News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Seeing the 'Sand Hills' at Sand Hills
« on: January 30, 2007, 05:48:54 PM »
There was a rather splendid nature prog on the Beeb tonight.

It's part of a series where Bill Oddie (comedian-ish and general all-round nature boy) is travelling across the US, kind of re-living his earlier days. (First time was in the 60s as a comedian, this time for all the 'nature' he missed).

This show was all about 'America's Finest Nature Spectacle' and showed the Sand Hill Cranes coming in to roost on the Platte river in Nebraska. Wowee!

I've seen said Cranes in Florida in twos and threes, but:

If (and when!) I get to the Prairie-land, I will certainly take time off of the gowf to experience this sight. Something like a half a million BIG birds landing together at dusk looks like something I'd like to see first-hand.

Any of you Sand Hills veterans seen this spectacular sight?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RJ_Daley

Re:Seeing the 'Sand Hills' at Sand Hills
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:12:53 PM »
Any of you Sand Hills veterans seen this spectacular sight?

While not technically a SH veteran, I've seen some pretty large flocks gathering into the Platte River basins.  But, seeing such large flocks of birds gathering in a reserve is fairly common place here in Wisconsin, as we have what is known as the Horicon Marsh Reserve.  There it is Canadian geese in fall, but the commotion is relatively the same as the spring gathering of cranes along the Platte.  We also have crane migrations here in Wisconsin, but not to that extent like NE.

They have a course near Grand Island NE, called "Crane View" that probably fits the bill.... so to speak... if punsareallowed. ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:24:25 PM »
Hi Martin,

I used to see the cranes all the time as a kid.  The first time you are out at dusk in one of the blinds along the Platte you are saying to yourself, “What in the hell am I doing here” and then it happens.  The experience is moving.  My mother works at a nature center along the river by Alda, NE.  If you make it out this way, let me know.

One dilemma, I have been out to witness the cranes in the snow and when the weather is clear and 15 c.   It would be a shame not to come all this way and not play the courses.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:26:55 PM by Jason_Hines »

Jay Carstens

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:28 AM »
Martin,
Here's a link to the Nebraska Game & Parks Commission site.  During the migration there are normally live web cams too that allow you can watch it from anywhere.  You might have to look around to find them but they're usually up in March.

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/guides/migration/sandhill.asp

Jay Carstens
Highlands Golf Course
Lincoln, NE
Play the course as you find it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back