News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Congratulations Fred
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:35:08 AM »
Funk on your commanding win.  Is he one of the great overachievers?  When he was at the U of MD he was a member at my club.  There were only good stories and feelings about him.  It is nice to see him be so successful.  And he did it without a skirt!
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

AndrewB

Re:Congratulations Fred
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:51:06 AM »
The stories I heard are that he would take his team to a tournament, drop them off, go practice all day himself, then come back and get them at the end of the day.  Didn't sound like a coach I'd like to have, but it sure did wonders for his game.

Note that this isn't intended to be a knock on him, I'm just sharing what I've heard.  He seems like a nice guy to me.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 08:28:35 AM »
My son went to a golf school that Fred Funk ran in the '80's when David was 15 or so.  He had a great time, got a lot of personal attention although mostly from one of the assistants, and said Fred is a very funny guy.  

I thought the old guys were in for a beating when he turned 50!

Matt MacIver

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »
My Golf 101 class was taught by Fred, although he left it to members of his golf team to do most of the actual lessons.  

Near the end of the semester they pull out the video recorder to show us what our swing looks like.  They get about 3 minutes of me and then pull me over to look at the swing.  

Freddie begins critiquing my swing, giving tips and pointers.  As a 20- year old that clearly knows everything, I listened patiently for a bit before blurting out something like, "Yeah, but did you see where those shots ended up!?  150 down the middle!  I'm not changing a thing until I start slicing it again!"

To which he laughed, and left.  Postscript: I started slicing again about five minutes later and haven't stopped since.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back