News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

Re:Rule No. 1 Democracies are out
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2007, 07:21:52 PM »
Augusta National is a form of dictatorship is it not?
I remember John Akers telling me about the first AGM he attended. The Chairman asked "any questions?" and he started to stand up but was pulled back into his seat by a couple other members. "He didn't mean any questions".
He also told me about another new member who said something about the locker room was a bit shabby and the next time this member played (six months later) he noted the area was fixed up nicely, and when he opened his locker he found the bill for the renovations. "Thank you, we took you up on your suggestion".
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 07:23:36 PM »
I'm a little surprised at the acceptance and preference for the benevolent dictator. I would think that many would have trouble with the idea that I'm spending $xx,xxx (maybe six x's) and have no say with only recourse being to walk away. Although as was pointed out, you go into the deal with eyes wide open and accept the terms.

Tom Paul, the overhead of the hunt club is the land be it owned or rented. More elaborate hunt clubs/retreats have clubhouses and staffs. There are bird hunting plantations in the south that offer lodging, food, dogs, guides, etc. However, Angus Phillip's article focused on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and Maryland which is mostly limited to land access.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 07:30:12 PM »

I'm a little surprised at the acceptance and preference for the benevolent dictator. I would think that many would have trouble with the idea that I'm spending $xx,xxx (maybe six x's) and have no say with only recourse being to walk away.

Although as was pointed out, you go into the deal with eyes wide open and accept the terms.

That's correct.
You apply knowing exactly what you're getting into.
There are NO surprises.
[/color]

JESII

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »

The problem with clubs run by committee is that the changes are made at the whim of whoever is in charge this week.  With a dictator the changes are made according to the dictator, creating consistency.  

I think this hits on the one most important factor that dictatorships provide that democracies do not...can not!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »
Add the former tv producer of CBS-TV Sports, Frank Chirkinian, to the list of dictators. He is now a principal in the ownership of the formerly public Emerald Dunes in West Palm Beach, Florida. In an article in the February issue of Executive Golfer  he is quoted as saying, "Every good golf club has been run by a despot. Autocratic rule seems to make great golf clubs and that's the one common thread we've found. All of the Pine Valleys and Augusta Nationals, all of those wonderful golf courses, have been run by a despot, just as this place will be run by the Ayatollah. We won't have committees...There will be no outings, no member guests, no club championships. This is a pure golf club, not a development."

www.edgclub.com/executive-golfer-article.html

Isn't Champions in Houston another such club?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:59:44 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

archie_struthers

« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 11:08:09 AM »
 8) ;D :D

I'm a definite vote for the autocrat. If he's really bad, whoever put him in power will depose him at some point in time.

Nothing worse than musical chairs at a golf club. Although I'm all for term limits in the real world. I guess the difference is the benevolent dictator at golf clubs is about the game and not the money like the politicians.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 11:37:16 AM »
Damn all of you fools. We'll just have to invade your clubs and force democracy on you. Then you'll see who's right. ;D

John Keenan

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »
Archie

How would you go about removing the chosen one if it turns out he (or she) is not up to the task or performs in a way deemed unacceptable. Would there be metrics to judge then against?

I could see this in a club owned by the dictator but am unclear in other situations

The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

archie_struthers

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 01:53:51 PM »

Sometimes it just has to run its course, but how can it be much worse than multiple committees, half of which don't know the difference between a mashie and a dogleg Even if the poobah question didn't have perfect judgment, they would have had to get a pretty strong push from the previous leader or a group within the club to reach such status.

Even an autocrat seeks some consensus amongst like minded people.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 02:37:11 PM »
John Keenan,

Dictators don't just appear.

They're groomed by their predecessor and in turn groom their successor.

If the potential successor is deemed to be incapable of leading the club, another is elevated in his place.

That process generally insures continuity and assures that the philosophy for running the club remains stable.

One look at PV, ANGC, Seminole and others tells you that it's working quite well.

John Keenan

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 04:45:14 PM »
Patrick I agree they do not appear but sometimes they do function and act as one would expect. My question is how would this be handled.

I find it a bit hard to believe that every groomed Poobah performs as expected or desired. What would one do if it all went quite badly
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

JESII

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »

Patrick I agree they do not appear but sometimes they do function and act as one would expect. My question is how would this be handled.

John,

There's usually a power base at a club.  A group of fellows who are the stewards of the club.  If the person selected to be the Major Domo veers off the intended path, becomes excentric or abusive with power, it's usually nipped in the bud, and if not, the power base demotes and replaces him with another suitable candidate.  But, that rarely happens because it's unusual for a leopard to change his spots.

I find it a bit hard to believe that every groomed Poobah performs as expected or desired. What would one do if it all went quite badly

It is unusual for someone, groomed for many years, who ascends to the leadership role, to turn into a sour/foul ball.
It's not something that happens overnight.

But, if it went badly, the power base would demote him and select a suitable replacement.

It rarely happens because of the quality of the candidates and the extent and thorougness of the grooming process.

I can't think of a club that's run by a member dictator that I wouldn't want to belong to.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »
Patrick,

If we are not to judge club management by the golf course architecture (as per Tom Doak), what is the basis of judgment?

Also, aren't entrepreneurial dictators like Mike Keiser answerable to customers?  Isn't that what ultimately caused Diamondback Corp. to get rid of Pinehurst after messing up #2 (though it doesn't seem to be doing much to stop Riveria from being toasted by a dictator)?  On the other hand, it would seem that Joe Dey not being answerable to anyone may have been in part responsible for what happened at the Creek Club, and a dictator's desire to "make his mark" on a club, either through tournaments or otherwise, also seems like it can lead to mischief (see a bunch of courses modified for majors).

If a dictator is answerable to the "power base" as you posit in a later pose, is he truly a dictator?  In the cases I cite, these "dictators" seem to be not real "dictators" but political actors, who must answer to real constituencies.  And if they are political actors, I'm not sure what the difference is between them and the leaders of more democratic regimes.  In each case, their success depends upon their vision of the course and the club, and the quality of their leadership of the membership in realizing their vision.  And that may boil down to character.

I have been laid up the last few days, and it won't be a surprise that I have thought some about these issues given my present position.  

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2007, 02:44:06 AM »

John,

There's usually a power base at a club.  A group of fellows who are the stewards of the club.  If the person selected to be the Major Domo veers off the intended path, becomes excentric or abusive with power, it's usually nipped in the bud, and if not, the power base demotes and replaces him with another suitable candidate.  But, that rarely happens because it's unusual for a leopard to change his spots.

It is unusual for someone, groomed for many years, who ascends to the leadership role, to turn into a sour/foul ball.
It's not something that happens overnight.

But, if it went badly, the power base would demote him and select a suitable replacement.

It rarely happens because of the quality of the candidates and the extent and thorougness of the grooming process.

I can't think of a club that's run by a member dictator that I wouldn't want to belong to.

Patrick if there's a 'power base' that can control's things, then you don't really have a dictator, just a buch of guy's behind the scenes and a frontispiece.

Darwin used the term benevolent autocrat.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back