News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Re:Cost to Play The Duece
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »
Man, everyone relax it's just a name.  Sorry if i can't spell.  And I do refer to Crystal Downs as "The Downs".    

Thanks for the info. from everyone on the actual post in how much it costs.  Basically, a lot....I figure 4 of us can't get on a few days before all in a group for just one round, based on what everyone described as the policy.

-Brian

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »
Brian - of course you're right - and as I say, I fall into the dorky trap re our local courses too.

It's just cold here, and I'm in a foul mood.  Don't mind me.

;D

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 12:26:45 PM »
Here's the Acura deal that is available until 3/3/07: 2 nights accommodations, breakfast and dinner for 2 days, 3 rounds of golf on courses 1-8 other than number 2, plus a round of golf on number 2 including caddie fee and grauity.  cost is $578 PER PERSON DOUBLE or $684 SINGLE. You figure it out, it's quite a deal. Just call 1.800.803-0028 and mention the Acura Golf Escape.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 12:33:44 PM »
Here's the Acura deal that is available until 3/3/07: 2 nights accommodations, breakfast and dinner for 2 days, 3 rounds of golf on courses 1-8 other than number 2, plus a round of golf on number 2 including caddie fee and grauity.  cost is $578 PER PERSON DOUBLE or $684 SINGLE. You figure it out, it's quite a deal. Just call 1.800.803-0028 and mention the Acura Golf Escape.

Thanks Jerry...I'm gonna check it out

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 12:38:39 PM »
I believe it's $400 now for non resort guests.  

Wouldn't that be deuce deuces?

P.S.
I came to read this thread because thankfully I didn't know what the deuce was....

I have only played the deuce, deuce times though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 01:07:52 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:43 PM »
Hey if you want to class the name up

Just call it Duece Bigalow...now thats snappy!!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 12:55:53 PM »
Brian --

I'LL RELAX WHEN I'M GOOD AND READY TO RELAX!

(That's just a little joke, by the way -- like the little joke about your spelling. MEANINGLESS! A MEANINGLESS LITTLE JOKE! As you can see, I'm an Emoticon Opponent, and I refuse to tip off my meaningless little jokes -- despite my New Year's Resolution to use smileys whenever there's the slightest chance of anyone's misunderstanding!)

Still working on the meaningless little joke about what comes to mind when I hear "Number 2." (I'll dump it on ya when it's ready.)

All in good fun.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 12:59:35 PM »
Dump it on ya... love it....

;D

No reticence to use smileys have I.

Fondness for big words and talking like Yoda have I also though.

Ruiner of otherwise useful threads at times am I as well.

So apologize do I.

TH

Dan Kelly

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
No reticence to use smileys have I.

Fondness for big words and talking like Yoda have I also though.

A classicist such as you surely means "reluctance," not "reticence."  ;D
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 01:16:05 PM »
Improvement is that.

Well done by you it be.

Annoying this is, and freaking myself out I am.

TH

Andy Hughes

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 02:10:57 PM »
And to think I asked that man for pronunciation guidance?  ;)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 05:15:46 PM »
Improvement is that.

Well done by you it be.

Annoying this is, and freaking myself out I am.

TH

Yoda you are, I think   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »
Kalen:

Correct that be.

Post #32 need you see.

Weird I be.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »
Kalen:

Correct that be.

Post #32 need you see.

Weird I be.

;D

how is that then, I flew right past that Yoda part and was thinking the exact same thing...maybe its time to get outside a bit and enjoy the nice balmy 11 degree tempatures :)

Damn I need to get back to cali!!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
Great at yoda-speak be I.

Only explanation that be.

And warm Cali today not be.

Freeze my ass off did I chipping and putting at lunch.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2007, 05:32:42 PM »
Great at yoda-speak be I.

Only explanation that be.

And warm Cali today not be.

Freeze my ass off did I chipping and putting at lunch.

;D

Well at least you "can" chip and putt.  All the courses and practice ranges here are under 8 inches of snow.  But yes I'm sure you braved those brutal 50 degree temps.  Thats tee shirt weather to me this time of year  :)

So just for kicks, whats your homecourse and which part of the SJ area do you live in?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »
My home course is Santa Teresa - I live at the beginning of Almaden Valley - say Almaden Expwy & Highway 85.  The course I was at today was Santa Clara Muni, close to my workplace.  It was 45* per the radio, but man there was a strong wind too so it felt really cold.

But I know that's by our standards, and our winter truly isn't.

I just meant today was not a day to wish you were here, relatively.

;D

Michael Dugger

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »
Calling it The Deuce harkens memories of that grand flick, Dodgeball.

ESPN 8  "The Ocho"

And for the record.  Pasatiempo is Spanish for pasttime.   ;)  Consulting yer spanish dictonary to find out how to correct pronounce it.

:P
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2007, 05:46:56 PM »
My home course is Santa Teresa - I live at the beginning of Almaden Valley - say Almaden Expwy & Highway 85.  The course I was at today was Santa Clara Muni, close to my workplace.  It was 45* per the radio, but man there was a strong wind too so it felt really cold.

But I know that's by our standards, and our winter truly isn't.

I just meant today was not a day to wish you were here, relatively.

;D

I never did get to Santa Teresa while living there.  I took up golf pretty late in terms of people on this site at age 24.  Living in the east bay made more sense to play Chabot, willow park, <*gulp*> skywest, and Tony Lema.  Unfortunatly it wasn't until I moved away that I developed a real passion for CGA, but would have loved to get out and play more courses all over the place.

And yes its been 39 days of continuous snow on the ground here, but whos counting?   ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 06:08:52 PM »
Kalen - of course a few of the locals here have played Santa Teresa, but I've yet to take a GCAer there... not sure how a 5.5 hour round would go over with this crowd.  I play there because I have a bunch of friends in the men's club, and the competition is fun.  Catch the course on an uncrowded day - which is about as rare as Halley's Comet, but what the hell - and it is a pretty darn good course.  My appreciation of it continues to grow, as much as I freakin'  HATE the slow play there.

In any case get yeself back out here and ye shall be the first, if ye be willing.   ;D

Hey, none of those east bay courses you frequented are BAD... I've played them all... if I lived out there they would have been my haunts as well.  Hell Skywest is actually a pretty darn good course... and Willow Park is dangerous, but quirky and fun.... by dangerous I mean from flying golf balls as it's pretty packed in....

Oh well.  Good luck with the snow - the good news is it tend to go away eventually.

;D

Billsteele

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »
Tom-I must run in a different linguistic circle. The fellows I know from NorCal refer to Spyglass Hill as the equally inane "Spy."

Gary Slatter

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »
just when I was getting on to all the initials now I have to learn the nick names! Never heard  "the Duece" before, learn something every day. almost.
Whatever it cost I thought it was worth it two years ago, although the mandatory putter carrier was way overpaid.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »
Kalen - of course a few of the locals here have played Santa Teresa, but I've yet to take a GCAer there... not sure how a 5.5 hour round would go over with this crowd.  I play there because I have a bunch of friends in the men's club, and the competition is fun.  Catch the course on an uncrowded day - which is about as rare as Halley's Comet, but what the hell - and it is a pretty darn good course.  My appreciation of it continues to grow, as much as I freakin'  HATE the slow play there.

In any case get yeself back out here and ye shall be the first, if ye be willing.   ;D

Hey, none of those east bay courses you frequented are BAD... I've played them all... if I lived out there they would have been my haunts as well.  Hell Skywest is actually a pretty darn good course... and Willow Park is dangerous, but quirky and fun.... by dangerous I mean from flying golf balls as it's pretty packed in....

Oh well.  Good luck with the snow - the good news is it tend to go away eventually.

;D

Thanks Tom,

I look forward to getting back to the bay area soon and would be great to meet up for a round at none other than your home course.  With all your connections could you get them to waive my golf cart rental fee   ;D

Speaking of willow park, it is tight and narrow, and conditions are often iffy, but talk about another piece of nor cal land that could be so much more, especially that front 9 as it meanders up and back the valley, and plays over that creek about 10 times.

Skywest is where I played my first 18 holes.  Needless to say my score was somewhere in the 130s   :(

Robert Thompson

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »
A couple of years back I was playing Bigwin Island in Muskoka when I encountered the group in front of us waiting on the tee. One of the golfers was decked out entirely in Pine Valley gear -- hat, windshirt, and I'm sure he had a glove and belt too.
Having played there earlier in the year, I pointed to his hat and said, "What did you think?"

"Of PV?" came the reply. "Oh, I just love PV. Get there all the time. Just a great course, that PV."

I let it drop at that. I assume he'd been once and perhaps the member had called it PV. In his attempt to be overly familiar and sound like he frequented the club, he too called it PV.

I thought he sounded ridiculous, just about as silly as the title of this thread.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Doug Ralston

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2007, 08:15:37 PM »
On political website that I inhabit, the forums are free-flowing. Since the exchanges happen so fast, no emphasis is given or even much tolerated on spelling. Communication, afterall, is being understood; no perfection required.

So, to continue my lecture: Stop being a spellnazi! We all understood what he meant.

Now, if he had said 'The Douche'; that would have certainly led to momentary confusion, or something  ;).

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back