News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re:A FLAT Alps hole??? So says Ran...
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »
Tom, working out the concepts or principles sounds fine to me.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:41:28 PM by Jim Nugent »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »
Has anyone suggested to the Old Macdonald team that theybuild a very tall maintenance facility at the inside corner of where their "Road Hole" doglegs? If they want to be imaginative they can paint the side of building with fake windows as if it were a hotel.

They can then add in a road that will run forward and around the entire length of the fairway and behind and past the green for the truaffic that will need to get to it!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:19:39 PM by Philip Young »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
Philip,

What would be even cooler is to find the nearest rail line and extend a branch of it right over to run parallel to the course boundary.   Then, some "old railway sheds" could be constructed to provide the appropriate "drive over" shot from the Road Hole Tee.  

It would also make the course accessible by train from San Francisco and Portland.

Hey, I can dream big, can't I?  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2007, 05:09:10 PM »
I agree, but you can't argue that they didn't also try to make them look similar to the originals where possible?

Why can't one argue this?   Look in Bahto's book at the early pictures of NGLA.  The features do not look anything like they do now.  

If not, then why are most of these holes visually obvious upon first seeing them as to their sources?

Because most of them were built by Raynor or Banks, who had very recognizable styles, and did not stray very far away from their Master's basic concepts.  

Or, could it be that it's because they all built courses with a preponderance of template holes?

I also have Uncle George's book and while the features weren't as crisp as they later evolved into, the shaping and location of the features on holes such as the redan, eden, long, road, alps, etc., were quite identifiable as to their origins.

Of course, the same could be said for the features on the courses in GB.   Have you seen pics of the Road Hole bunker at St. Andrews or the Alps at Prestwick circa 1910, for instance?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 05:10:43 PM by MPCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back