News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Billsteele

Any thoughts on Manzanillo, Mexico?
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:11:28 PM »
The wife and I will be taking a trip to Manzanillo in ten days. I wondered if anyone has been there and, more importantly, if anyone has golfed there.

It appears that there are three courses in the area: (1) La Mantarraya-designed by Roy Dye. Have heard nothing about it other than Tom Doak's cryptic reference in the Confidential Guide (he refers to it as "strange" although he had not seen it). The course is part of the resort where the movie "10" was filmed. (2) Isla Navidad-27 holes designed by Robert Von Hagge, and (3) El Tamarindo-designed by David Fleming.

Any thoughts on the architecture or anything else are appreciated.

henrye

Re:Any thoughts on Manzanillo, Mexico?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 04:55:04 PM »
Hi Bill.  Been there a few times in the last couple of years.  It's about an hour and fifteen minute drive between the Dye course and Isla Navidad.  Tamarindo is another 20 minutes north of Isla Navidad.  I have not played it, though I have heard from others it is a real jungle treat.  Where are you staying?

The Dye course is unusual but great fun to play.  It's not long, but some of the greens are diabolical - the 4th comes to mind.  Conditioning is suspect.

Isla Navidad is a great complex, imho.  I certainly prefer it to Cabo Del Sol, which I feel is overrated cartball (but concede it has some beautiful views).

Here is a link to top resort golf in Mexico.

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/010906.php

Billsteele

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
Thanks Henry. We are staying at a private villa so I am not sure where we are located on the bay that comprises most of Manzanillo. While I would like to try to play all of them, El Tamarindo may have gone private over the past year...I'm not sure.

henrye

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:53:19 PM »
If you're staying on the penninsula where most of the private homes are located your closest bet is the Dye course.  The others are a trek on a rural 2 lane highway/road.

Tamarindo is part of a resort, which I think is still operated by Starwood.  Wyndham manages the Grand Bay Hotel at Isla Navidad.

I'm pretty sure you can play any of the courses.  Here's a link to Tamarindo.

http://www.tamarindoresort.com/index.php

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:13:18 PM »
Bill,

In order...
Tamarindo
Navidad
Las Hadas (Mantarraya)

Tamarindo is not operated by Starwood as it has been sold to Tim Blickseth of the Yellowstone Club. The golf facility is still owned and operated by the Mexican family who owned the rest of the resort. No idea as to the golf arrangement between they and Blickseth but would be shocked if his property did not include access to the golf.  

One preferring Navidad over Cabo del Sol is rather curious and I am obviously biased but "overrated cartball" is a bit much. I have never been a big fan of Navidad though it is a nice feeling facility.

Tamarindo and Navidad are both in the upper echelon of golf in the country of Mexico that is expanding rapidly.

Navidad is akin to well conditioned "Florida golf" while Tamarindo is generally not as well conditioned but far more dramatic in my opinion... jungle meets ocean, pretty neat place.

Depends on your tastes and I will be interested to here your comments after playing there.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:21:21 PM by Greg Tallman »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »
I read in the paper just the other day that in the Blixeths' divorce, he kept their place at El Tamarindo and his wife kept the villa in Cabo.

Also, Mike Keiser's wife told me that El Tamarindo was one of the coolest resorts they had ever visited.  (She doesn't care too much about the quality of the golf course, one way or another ... she just thought it was a great setting.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back