News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

I know this is my second thread of the day..so sue me. (and yes I have been threatened on this site before)

The one (and only) feature I really hated was the walk up to 16 tee.  I don't get the need for it unless you are a view whore.  Why couldn't the hill be shaved down or the tee be built closer to the 15th green.  As much as I would love a blind drive...I don't think the elevated tee was used to prevent that possibility.  If not this, what one architectural feature would you like changed.

Mike_Cirba

Re:What one architectural change would you make at Rustic Canyon..
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:45:29 PM »
If I can't remove the Driving range fence, I'd recontour the 15th green.

The stair-steps look way too unnatural on a site where naturalistic looks reign.  

Brian Noser

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:46:16 PM »
Well since you started it I would make the Practice Green by the first tee bigger and make Number 1 a par 4. Thus eliminating the long wait for people who think they need to wait to go for it in 2. Move the back tee up say 60 yards and start with a 430 440 yard par 4 from the tips.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
If I can't remove the Driving range fence, I'd recontour the 15th green.

The stair-steps look way too unnatural on a site where naturalistic looks reign.  

I liked the 15th given how severe it can be.  I was in the back bunker to a back pin and had no shot.  I think it is great to be 20 feet from the hole in one and have to play for four at best.

Did I miss something, or is there not a long par 3..

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
John-
What did you hit on 6?  

EDIT - 6 was playing straight downwind...I was thinking of my last round where I hit 3 wood.

6 is 216 from the black markers (200 from the blues) and typically is a mid to long iron.  We hit short irons because it was blowing dead downwind.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:57:37 PM by Ryan Simper »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 02:58:05 PM »
I'm thinking 5 iron...the same club I hit on 15.  We had some nice wind.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »
John,

I think the 15th can still play that severe without the cascading staircase effect.

rjsimper

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »
And the architectural changes I would make would be to rework the 7th hole entirely.  Not only is the green out of character with the rest of the course (though at some level it needs to be due to the flood danger...) but also the nature of the fairway rippling brings me to the same complaint I have about 16 at Pacific Dunes...that avoiding a divot is pretty much a crapshoot.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 03:03:40 PM »
John,

I think the 15th can still play that severe without the cascading staircase effect.

I have to say I missed that...I was trying to hit a punch 5 iron from what I think was 130 yds...technically I did not finish the hole.  I liked the false front and had a wfo green right in front of me and failed miserably.  You should have seen the drop Moriarty took after being in the left bush.  We had some fun that hole for a losing effort.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 03:28:30 PM »
And the architectural changes I would make would be to rework the 7th hole entirely.  Not only is the green out of character with the rest of the course (though at some level it needs to be due to the flood danger...) but also the nature of the fairway rippling brings me to the same complaint I have about 16 at Pacific Dunes...that avoiding a divot is pretty much a crapshoot.

Ryan, isn't that your nemisis hole? ;)

John, if I remember right, you did hit a 5 on the 6th.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:33:47 PM »
John,

I have to say I missed that...I was trying to hit a punch 5 iron from what I think was 130 yds...technically I did not finish the hole.  I liked the false front and had a wfo green right in front of me and failed miserably.  You should have seen the drop Moriarty took after being in the left bush.  We had some fun that hole for a losing effort.

You forgot my up and down from well short of the aforementioned false front to the back pin...

Incidentally, and I know this has been discussed ad nauseum post KP3, the 15th from what I hear was found naturally pretty much like that...even though I do agree that it appears artificially manufactured.  I wish I would have seen the land pre-course, but that's the story I'm told.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:35:49 PM by Ryan Simper »

Brian Noser

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »
I forgot about the redesigned 7th...for good reason.  ;D there is more then one feature there to change that is why I did not pick it.

that is his nemisis hole I do not think he has made a par there..

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
I could never understand why the practice greens do not have the bent grass collars. How can you really practice for what's to come? Considering this is the only fault I could identify is high praise indeed; I wouldn't touch a thing on the course.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

rjsimper

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 03:45:13 PM »
I could never understand why the practice greens do not have the bent grass collars. How can you really practice for what's to come? Considering this is the only fault I could identify is high praise indeed; I wouldn't touch a thing on the course.
One point of credit I will happily give to Pinehurst #2 is the practice green near the first tee which, unlike the main resort practice green, is crowned and allows you to practice precisely the shot you'll need to play between 5-10 times in your round.

David Stamm

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 03:45:38 PM »
Pete, I agree. I don't think I would touch it either. I love it the way it is.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »
Incidentally, and I know this has been discussed ad nauseum post KP3, the 15th from what I hear was found naturally pretty much like that...even though I do agree that it appears artificially manufactured.  I wish I would have seen the land pre-course, but that's the story I'm told.

Ryan,

Yes, I heard that too.  

If that's the case, then such an unnatural looking natural feature should have been bulldozed!  ;)

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 04:13:08 PM »
Facility-wise, eliminate the driving range in its entirety. Staring at that fence on the 18th tee shot is offensive. Design-wise, doze #12 green and come up with a better idea!
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 04:21:02 PM »
Design-wise, doze #12 green and come up with a better idea!

That green can be pretty devilish, right?  ;D

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 04:22:42 PM »
What's wrong with 12 green?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
Design-wise, doze #12 green and come up with a better idea!

That green can be pretty devilish, right?  ;D

Devilish is one adjective....I had a bad experience with the  upper shelf pin location in early December; still not over it.

The concept of easy drive/hard green is a sound one, but this green would be a better fit at PGA West. Perhaps a front-back sloped green, or one canted for a well placed drive would have been functional here.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »
The 7th green needs to be recountoured
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 04:54:56 PM »
Jon,

How many times have you played the 12th?

Do you always try and drive the green?

Brian Noser

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »
The 12th green must be Played from the correct angle to make the green eaiser. Which makes it great IMO if you are to short left of the green the shot to the back pin becomes very difficult where if you played way out right and short you would have a longer approch but eaiser. This is the green that every one talks about on this site options. options. options. it is best approched though green high about 75-100 yards out to the right. this is where you have the most options.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »
Jon,

How many times have you played the 12th?

Do you always try and drive the green?

Only twice; I missed last week's outing for a variety of reasons. 2 iron/pitch the first time with the lower pin, snapped off driver/pitch out of the LH bunker the second time. I do agree with Brian's note about the approach angle; I hit a lousy drive in the wrong place and paid for it....but the pitch was well struck, so replace "very difficult" with "impossible". I don't see most getting close to the pin on the upper tier from any angle.

Next trip I'll use the patented fade off the tee with the driver out to the right and try again. If the pin is up top I'll report on the results.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
The best approach to the 12th green is from beyond it.  A tee shot hit long of the green allows you to pitch back up against the valley effect.  A front pin make look difficult from over the green but it's not as hard as you think.  This is all even more solidified when the hole is playing downwind and a shot from over the green is played up-valley and into the wind.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back