News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Royal Zoute not a classic?
« on: January 07, 2007, 08:08:59 PM »
Reading the history on their web page it seems as if the original Colt course is lost and today's championship course was designed by a Colonel Allen after the second World War. I always thought this was a classic, golden-age layout?

Some of the pictures I saw of the course were also not overly impressive, it appears to be largely flat with small, roundish greens and half-hearted bunkering. A number of holes look fairly similar. It may be interesting to play, but sure isn't a looker.

I may be in the area this summer, but Royal Ostende and Ravenstein (both Seymour Dunn) appear more enticing than Zoute at this time, not to speak of affordable :)

Any other opinions?

http://www.zoute.be/golf/pages/about_us/history.htm

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Paul_Turner

Re:Royal Zoute not a classic?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »
Ulrich

It's a really good course and the greens aren't flat at all.  Don't expect big dunes, but the land is nicely rumpled.

There's quite a lot wrong on the website history.  Colt built the 36 hole complex on the current site but it has been changed a fair amount. From a stick diagram drawn in the 1920s, I estimate about 60% of the routing is original.

The website is correct that a third course (also Colt and Alison) at Letterbek was lost during the war.

I know Colt worked on the original Knokke course, on a different site, but 1907 seems early.

I'm not sure how Allen was involved perhaps he was responsible for the redesign of the 36, after WW2.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
I spent some time there a few years ago and could find out nothing about the architectural history.  I was reminded of Royal Lytham in that it looks nothing and is some distance inland, but there the comparison stops.  There were quite a few trees on it and it doesn't really feel like a links despite the plentiful movement in the ground.  My view of the course was probably a little clouded in that I was given permission to play (without fee) by the Secretary.  When I came up behind the President of the club and his fourball I was roasted for being out as a single player, not displaying a visitor's green fee badge and for playing as a visitor on a Sunday.  Probably I should simply have walked off, but I showed him the letter of introduction from the Secretary.  He left the course and went straight into the Secretary's office and took her apart (yes, she worked on a Sunday).  He was a horrible man - a bully.

What does anyone think of Belgium's other links (alright, part-links) Royal Ostend?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »
Mark, that is amazing. You should have let him have a taste of your best slang vocabulary words and maybe a leg shake. One would think with a name starting with a Z, visitors would be welcomed for their committment to golf alone.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 11:24:51 AM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 01:12:24 PM »
I have played Royal Zoute several times and have  really enjoyed the course.
There are a number of photos in the club house of the early years of the course and it looks a lot like a links.Over the years houses were build around the boundary and trees planted and now it has more of a heathland feeling.There are still some quite open areas that still have a links feeling. There is also a photo of Royal zoute (Knocke) in the book"Some Essays on GCA".Colt & Alison.page 68.There have been a lot of trees planted but all fairly well set back so there is not really a claustropphobic feeing.The other 18 holes is a lot shorter a sort ladies course.
Certainly by Dutch(not Belgium) standards the greens are very good.
The course reminds me a lot of Royal Sydney GC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back