News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Myrtle Beach area suggestions
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »
I have a friend headed to the Myrtle Beach area and wanted to give him a few recommendations of places to play. I know Heathlands is there, but not sure what else is worth seeking out.

Does anyone have any reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

Yannick Pilon

Re:Myrtle Beach area suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »
Caledonia is a must play by Mike Strantz.  Do not dare go to Myrtle Beach and not play this course!

True Blue, also by Strantz, is right across the road from Caledonia and supposedly very good.

Not too aware of the latest stuff...  Haven't been there in the past eight years.

YP
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:48:03 AM by Yannick Pilon »
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Brian Cenci

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:10:46 PM »
Caledonia and True Blue standout for sure.

I've played Oyster Bay, thats not too bad.

The Thistle Club I've played, I really enjoyed this course.

I've heard Barefoot Landing (Love) is good and Tidewater is a good course.  Surf Golf and Beach Club isn't too bad but not worth the price.

Mike Boehm

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
I have a friend headed to the Myrtle Beach area and wanted to give him a few recommendations of places to play. I know Heathlands is there, but not sure what else is worth seeking out.

Thanks in advance.

If your friend is staying in the south or central end up the strand, Caledonia, True Blue and Barefoot Love are top notch courses.  Barefoot Love has some very interesting green complexes - crowned with some chipping areas that give you a lot of options.  If you friend is staying in the North part of the strand, River's Edge is a fantastic course by Palmer's design group with some gorgeous scenery.  Oyster Bay is also a solid course up north with some interesting holes - a step down from River's Edge, but definitely worth playing.

Mike

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

Thanks in advance.

If your friend is staying in the south or central end up the strand, Caledonia, True Blue and Barefoot Love are top notch courses.  Barefoot Love has some very interesting green complexes - crowned with some chipping areas that give you a lot of options.  If you friend is staying in the North part of the strand, River's Edge is a fantastic course by Palmer's design group with some gorgeous scenery.  Oyster Bay is also a solid course up north with some interesting holes - a step down from River's Edge, but definitely worth playing.

Mike

Mike has given some good reccomendations, and has some very good points before I would delve into any more indepth answer it would be good to know where they are staying, what kind of money they are willing to spend, etc.

Based on that I could certainly go into more detail.  I go to Myrtle about 3-4 times a year and have played pretty much everything of consequence.  Let us know if you want more info.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
From south to north:

Caledonia and True Blue
Heathland and Parkland (Parkland is worth seeing because of interesting history; some Doak work, some Strantz work)
Love Course at Barefoot
Tidewater
Thistle
Tiger's Eye
River's Edge

Caledonia and True Blue are can't miss because of the contrast of style by the same GCA on properties right across the street. Tidewater and Love are both terrific as well.  Thistle is NOT a can't miss, but is a personal favorite.  Tiger's Eye is excellent, as is River's Edge, though conditioning at River's Edge can be iffy.    

I confess to never having played the Dunes.  It is out of my price range, but great things are said about it by everyone who plays there.

There are a jillion others, many worth playing.  If you have a specific list from a package, or questions about others, post it or IM me and I'll tell you what I can.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 09:21:27 PM »
Interesting comment by Mr. Crockett re Caledonia and True Blue being so different, sitting across a street from each other. Cool.

I've never been to Myrtle Beach, but if I do go, I'll have to see RTJ's Dunes course too.
jeffmingay.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:24:11 PM »
Interesting comment by Mr. Crockett re Caledonia and True Blue being so different, sitting across a street from each other. Cool.

I've never been to Myrtle Beach, but if I do go, I'll have to see RTJ's Dunes course too.

Jeff,
You'd almost have to see it to believe it.  Caledonia is ANGC-style, and True Blue is a coastal Tobacco Road/Pine Valley.  Amazing that the same person could see both on property in the same zip code.  He was an artist and a genius.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 09:24:18 PM »
If I returned to MB the only courses I would play again would be the Dunes, Caledonia, and True Blue.

Greg Holland

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 09:28:50 PM »
My favorites are:
Caledonia
Heathland

Others not mentioned so far are:

Pine Lakes (oldest course there, decent course, neat   experience, and where SI mag was founded)
Grande Dunes (one of Roger Rulewich's first solo courses along intercoastal -- I thought it was pretty good and was on one mag's best new a few years back)
Prestwick -- challenging Pete Dye course
Pawleys Plantation-- very difficult Nicklaus course
Farmstead also has a few good holes, you play in both NC and SC during the round and end with a par 6
Wild Wing has a good Jeff Brauer course too (I think it is still there, as they are developing some of their courses)
Shaftesbury Glen is decent too (Clyde Johnston, supposedly a tribute to Tilly)

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »
A.G.:

You sparked my interest, so I Googled "True Blue" and discovered Caledonia is the same operation. You can't get a sense of the golf courses from the "photo tour" there at the True Blue/Caledonia web site, but it's clear the two courses are distinct.

Neat.
jeffmingay.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:56:57 PM »
My favorites are:
Caledonia
Heathland

Others not mentioned so far are:

Pine Lakes (oldest course there, decent course, neat   experience, and where SI mag was founded)
Grande Dunes (one of Roger Rulewich's first solo courses along intercoastal -- I thought it was pretty good and was on one mag's best new a few years back)
Prestwick -- challenging Pete Dye course
Pawleys Plantation-- very difficult Nicklaus course
Farmstead also has a few good holes, you play in both NC and SC during the round and end with a par 6
Wild Wing has a good Jeff Brauer course too (I think it is still there, as they are developing some of their courses)
Shaftesbury Glen is decent too (Clyde Johnston, supposedly a tribute to Tilly)

My bad for forgetting the Avocet course at Wildwing by Mr. Brauer.  It IS still there, and very, very good.
I almost added Shaftesbury Glen.  It's weird because of the fake castle clubhouse and the goofy name, but I thought it was a very solid course.
I like Farmstead, but the par 6 ticks me off every single time I play it.  I'm not sure how you can have a 700 yd. plus hole without any real risk-reward element, but they do.
I haven't seen Prestwick, Pawley's, or Grande Dunes.

One more personal favorite that I can now recommend because they've addressed some conditioning issues nicely is The Pearl West.  Very solid Dan Maples course and the back 9 is one of my favorite nines anywhere.  The last 5 holes are exceptional, IMO.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:02:55 PM »
Jeff,
They generally offer a package deal on the two courses for a one-day 36 hole play.  It is a really cool day of golf.  

I would urge anyone heading to True Blue to carefully consider the tees you play.  For most players (and I'm a 6 or so) the third set is the correct one; from the tips (7000) or even the second set (6800), TB is just not much fun.  At about 6400, it's a blast and still plenty challenging.

If you can use the search function, Mike Whitaker has written some stuff in past threads about the history of True Blue that is very, very interesting.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »
Thanks A.G.

I'm fascinated with Mike Strantz's work. I've only taken a walking tour of Tobacco Road. I thought it was "something" (not sure how to define that description, but it's not entirely negative, that's for sure!), and look forward to making a point to visit more Strantz courses.
jeffmingay.com

Andy Hughes

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »
OK, if you have Turboe and AG as your tour guides for MB you are in good hands.

I would add another vote emphasizing the need to see True Blue and Caldeonia the same day.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 12:58:30 AM »

Jeff,
You'd almost have to see it to believe it.  Caledonia is ANGC-style, and True Blue is a coastal Tobacco Road/Pine Valley.  Amazing that the same person could see both on property in the same zip code.  He was an artist and a genius.

Especially when you think in MB he probably got two properties with about 3ft of elevation change on them.  Interesting that Caledonia is (I believe) Strantz's first and more subdued courses.  You can basically follow his career and the lines got bolder and more dramatic as the courses went along for the most part.  True Blue falling more in the late middle of his career.  The final two private facilities obviously are much more subdued given the background of MPCC and the model for Bulls Bays target audience.  

Speaking of elevation change, last year I had the pleasure to play Watchesaw Plantation again for the first time in years.   I was blown away that a course in the same area as all these others mentioned had so much topography.   had completely forgotten it was that dramatic.  Unlike its fully public sister Watchesaw East, Watchesaw Plantation is somewhat private, but do some checking around to see if there is anyway you can get on.  Certainly a unique MB experience.

While on the MB topic, anyone heard any updates on the Founders Club being built on the former Seagull GC site?  Just wondering if anyone has heard any updated time frame or information.  I know some on here have seen it, and probably have stayed in touch with the people involved.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Yannick Pilon

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 07:53:34 AM »
Jeff,

If you ever get to MB, drive straight to Caledonia.  When it opened, I guess around 1990, it changed the way I saw golf course architecture....  Of course, I have matured since then, but at the time, it was my first exposure to great architecture.

Great course on a really tight piece of land.  Beautiful stuff all around.

YP
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:54:15 AM by Yannick Pilon »
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Greg Holland

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 09:06:14 AM »
Jeff,

If you ever get to MB, drive straight to Caledonia.  When it opened, I guess around 1990, it changed the way I saw golf course architecture....  Of course, I have matured since then, but at the time, it was my first exposure to great architecture.

Great course on a really tight piece of land.  Beautiful stuff all around.

YP
I had the same experience at Caledonia.  I was just starting to play regularly, but somehow just knew it was a special course -- and very different from others I had played.  I looked up the designer and started doing some reading, and my interest in golf course architecture began.

Bill_Ryzewski

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007, 09:21:50 AM »
If down south Caledonia and True Blue are must plays. I personally enjoy Heritage Plantation just a stones throw away. The only reason I'd play Pawley's Plantation is if I were staying there as there's too many holes cut through housing and it's too damn hard if your shaking off the winter rust. It is a study in Nicklaus design though.

I love The Dunes but in the winter the overseeded greens and surrounding dormant rough take away from the experience. Best to play the Dunes in the warm weather months (IF you can get on!).

Regards,
Bill

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007, 03:02:26 PM »
Thanks all for your numerous and varied course recommendations.  Sounds like I need to get back there myself.

I will pass these along!!

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 10:01:53 AM »
Was there in late April 06....16 rounds in 9 days....

1. The Dunes Club!
2. Caledonia
3. Tidewater

Regards,
Tom
the pres

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »
Was there in late April 06....16 rounds in 9 days....

1. The Dunes Club!
2. Caledonia
3. Tidewater

Regards,
Tom

Tom,
Where else did you play the 16 rounds, and what would you advise staying away from?

Tom Jefferson

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 11:58:35 AM »
Mr. Crockett;

Besides the premium ones I mentioned, we played;

Kiawah Ocean
Kiawah G. Player
Kiawah J. Nicklaus
TPC Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Nat'l. King's North
   "        "       "     West
Wildwing Avocet
     "      Woodstork
Barefoot Norman
     "      Fazio
Plus one other one just across the River north of N. Myrtle Beach.....forget the name....foggy and wet, and pseudo "scottish links' style...think it was by Clyde Johnson.

Of these obviously the Ocean Course stands out...and the Avocet was alot of fun.

Tom
the pres

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »
Mr. Crockett;

Besides the premium ones I mentioned, we played;

Kiawah Ocean
Kiawah G. Player
Kiawah J. Nicklaus
TPC Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach Nat'l. King's North
   "        "       "     West
Wildwing Avocet
     "      Woodstork
Barefoot Norman
     "      Fazio
Plus one other one just across the River north of N. Myrtle Beach.....forget the name....foggy and wet, and pseudo "scottish links' style...think it was by Clyde Johnson.

Of these obviously the Ocean Course stands out...and the Avocet was alot of fun.

Tom

That's a much bigger trip than just Myrtle!  
The one across the river would either be Glen Dornoch or Heather Glen.

At Barefoot, if you go again, Fazio and Norman are emminently missable.  By all means, play Love, and if time permits, add Dye.

Bryce Mueller

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 02:21:42 PM »
the dunes club is one of the best layouts i have ever played. its just really really good. I played in the southern amateur there a few years ago, and it was as good of a test as anything i have played in tournament golf up to this point (including olympic, olympia fields, pasatiempo, cascades) if you play the dunes in great shape like we were able to, i think its one of the top 50 courses in the world...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back