News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

golf's great views
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:43:18 PM »
I'm talking about the ones, when you see them for the first time, make you gasp/take your breath away

there's the incredibly beautiful ones, like when one climbs onto the 4th tee at Ballyneal

then there's the historic ones, like when one arrives on the 11th tee at Merion and sees the plaque on the tee and the last competitive hole that Bob Jones played
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

kwl

Re:golf's great views
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:54:41 PM »
18th sutton bay

Gary Daughters

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 05:56:30 PM »

Getting out of the car at Cruden Bay
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Eric Franzen

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 06:02:47 PM »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 06:06:03 PM »

#1 at Comb Over Donald's best golf course in California????????
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 06:06:27 PM »
I understand the view from the 13th green of Los Angeles Country Club (North) is regarded as one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, in the world.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 06:08:55 PM »

Also, the first pairing sheet box at Augusta National
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Seth Berliner

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 06:09:27 PM »
Pretty tough to beat the view standing on the 16th at CPC!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »
Gary,

How about the 4th at Cruden Bay.......

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »

#1 at Comb Over Donald's best golf course in California????????

a funny picture AND a funny punchline!  I can see the logo for Combover National in my head..... ;D

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 06:21:54 PM »
I think the 4th at the Old Head deserves some consideration. Forgive me, I am buying some time before my local opens.........

Philippe Binette

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 06:23:39 PM »
To me....

passing by the shops on Golf lane and turning the corner and it's all there in front... the Old Course

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 06:25:53 PM »
I think the 4th at the Old Head deserves some consideration. Forgive me, I am buying some time before my local opens.........

Aidan, you're cheating ;) cause it seems like ALL your pictures are great views!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 06:31:43 PM »
The 19th hole after a round of golf in Ireland.....

Philip Gawith

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »
Takes a lot to beat coming over the hill of the 5th at New South Wales; and some of the views at Cape Kidnappers in New Zealand, particularly around the 15th green...and Bandon Dunes, of course.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
Driving over the hill that leads into Old Head is awesome. The first tee at Doonbeg. Looking down Magnolia Lane.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 07:00:19 PM »
Views I've enjoyed:

1.  Cresting the hill on #9 at RCD
2.  #10 Winged Foot West
3.  #12 green at ANGC looking back down 11 and ahead to 13
4.  Coming up #18 at TOC
5.  #17 tee looking down the fairway at NGLA

Gary Daughters

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 07:03:08 PM »
Aidan,

No way I'm going 1-on-1 with you, but:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 07:03:52 PM by Gary Daughters »

Andy Doyle

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 07:33:01 PM »
Not to be too obvious, but .....

#7 Tee at Pebble Beach
Approach to #8 at Pebble Beach
#9 Pebble Beach
#10 Pebble Beach
#18 Tee at Pebble Beach

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »
 For a first time 'take your breath away' has to go to standing on the 3rd green at Bethpage Black looking down to the 4th hole.

Fishers-Fishers-Fishers

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »
I understand the view from the 13th green of Los Angeles Country Club (North) is regarded as one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, in the world.

Mark,

Only if you are a realtor.

Bob

wsmorrison

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »
Walking up to the 6th tee at the Creek Club and looking out on that magnificent view of the course and beyond.

The drive up to the clubhouse at Newport CC.  Wow, that's some building on a wonderful bluff overlooking the golf grounds.

Turning into Tuckahoe Road and getting the first glimpse of the Shinnecock Hills GC clubhouse.  The only thing that beats that is every view on the course itself.  Perhaps the finest view in golf is from the first landing area on 16 and taking in the marvelous bunkering and greensite, the contours, bunkers and elevation change up to the 9th green and that magnificent clubhouse on the horizon.  Of course standing on the first tee knowing you're about to enjoy one of golf's greatest experiences and seeing so much of what lies ahead is awesome as well.

The first tee at Merion offers a marvelous view with its 13 beautiful bunkers, huge but in scale while the whole experience is enhanced by the sudden silence of the diners on the upper terrace as you know they are watching your every move.  It makes one glad to be right handed (sorry Mike C).  Also the view from the fairway through the quarry on 16 during spring with the Scotch Broom in golden bloom.

Hearing your name and stepping up to the first tee at the Old Course in St. Andrews under the watchful gaze of what seems like an entire town and the R&A members.

Seeing the gate open up for you at the entrance to Pine Valley and the glimpses you get of the course as you drive up to front of the cluhouse.  Like Merion and Shinnecock, there are so many great views around Pine Valley, but here the excitement starts along the drive to the clubhouse as more of the course comes into view.

The view as you walk from the second green to the third tee at Royal Dornoch, especially in spring.

Seeing friends in the parking lot that you haven't seen in a long time and knowing how much fun you're all in for.  It is evident in the big smiles and excitement lighting up everyone's faces.

Walking down the steps from the parking lot and seeing the valley that Huntingdon Valley CC sits in, especially with some of the tree removal planned will again be one of the finest inland views in golf.

There are so many lovely views in my mind's eye, but these are some that came to me at first.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 08:35:55 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 08:13:56 PM »
And, of course, #13 at Eagle Ridge, Yatesville Lake SP, KY.

Doug

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 08:26:50 PM »
MIke, you beat me to it! 3rd green at Bethpage Black looking through the trees and seeing the 4th hole open up.

Let us not forget though, standing on the path, behind the first tee of the Black and that vista opening up before you with the WARNING SIGN in front of you...

"Beware all ye..."

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 08:53:39 PM »
Mark and Philip, you beat me to it, but here's the picture to go with it:

BTW, I'm not saying that *I'm* one of golf's great views, although you could easily make that mistake. I'm talking about the stuff in the background.  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 08:55:42 PM by Matt_Cohn »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back