News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

2007 Hillbilly Tour Event
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:22:10 AM »
No date has been set but given the number of unofficial and official events slated for next year,  I want to make you aware that the Hillbilly Tour will be holding a one day event at Princeton (KY) Golf & Country Club in 2007.  Princeton is the birthplace of Perry Maxwell, who returned to design the course there.  

Dinner will be held as a local gas station that serves tremendous barbecue according to KY Hillbilly Dale McCallon.

More details to follow.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

Re:2007 Hillbilly Tour Event
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:41:36 AM »
Lest anyone think this is a joke, I offer this excerpt from Princeton Golf and Country Club's 50th anniversary program (July 11, 1981):

At this time there had been enough interest generated in golf by Princeton people to enter the talking stage, regarding organization and building of a golf course.  The primary interest was in golf, because of our very limited potential for funds, little consideration was given to anything else.

Marshall P. Eldred, then a resident of Princeton, a young attorney just out of law school at Ann Arbor, Michigan became acquainted with Perry Maxwell, a golf architect who was building a course at Ann Arbor when he was a student.  He discovered that Mr. Maxwell was born in Princeton and lived here until he was two years of age.  Evidently, Mr. Eldred mentioned about there being some interest in golf at Princeton, so Mr. Maxwell volunteered his services to lay out the course when we got ready to build.  

By the fall of 1930 there appeared to be sufficient interest in golf to make the effort to organize a club in Princeton.

It was decided to go ahead in this venture, if we could get 100 members at $50.00 as charter members.  The membership then to immediately to go $100.00.  The one hundred members and perhaps a few more were secured in the latter part of 1930 and January 1931.  We agreed to purchase the land and contacted Mr. Maxwell, the golf architect.  He came to Princeton in February and the location of the greens were established.  We contracted with him for one of his men experienced in building golf courses, to supervise the construction of the greens.  We paid him $80.00 per week, considered high wages then.

Interesting that the history also notes that when the club added nine holes in 1968 that on some days as many as 30 youngsters, ages 8-12 reported for work when asked to do so.  Their work included sprigging the greens and the course was dedicated to them.  

Mike  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:55:04 AM »
Is raised in Ohio and now living just into the state of Kentucky enough to apply for membership? Is Madisonville any good? I know it is close to Princeton.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »
Glenn,

Thank you for the inquiry.  Required Hillbilly Tour credentials are not disclosed and in fact don't exist.  Not even Martha Burke can access our membership list.  This event will be open to non-members and is a one day event only.  No course add-ons or upgrades if you know what I mean, and I think you do.  Hope you can attend.  

Mike
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 12:00:21 PM by Bogey_Hendren »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 12:04:24 PM »
Is raised in Ohio and now living just into the state of Kentucky enough to apply for membership? Is Madisonville any good? I know it is close to Princeton.

Glenn,

The simple fact that you think Crooked Stick is as good as you opine solidly gives you Hillbilly status.  I am not in charge of letting people in but have full authority to kick or suspend people out at will.  Proceed carefully in the future.  note:  The fact that you hate a course that was built to help sell overpriced baskets doesn't hurt your cause either.  If you weigh over 250lbs and have ever won a club championship at a rural club you may be in line for 2007 poster boy.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:14:04 PM »
John,

I think I have all of the prerequisites then. I will have to work on the club championship part. I have never played in one of those, rural or otherwise. I would be honored to become a full member or just be granted a sponsors exemption for the 07 event at Princeton. I have never played a Maxwell to my knowledge. Should I go ahead and start looking for a pick-up truck or can that wait?

p.s.- Crooked Stick is the single most underrated golf course in this country, based on the last ranking that I saw. #74?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:15:33 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 12:24:48 PM »
Lucky I found this thread after a long holiday hiatus.  As the tournament lunch host, I can vouch for the high quality of the gas station's bbq and pork chop sandwiches (for those looking for something a little lighter--of course that would exclude all hillbillies).

I've never played at Princeton, but it is interesting that the course is dedicated to kids who helped build the place.  I know that the course has a very well run junior tournament, so I suppose they encourage junior play which is pretty cool in my opinion.

Obviously Princeton KY is not on the radar for most traveling golfers, but hopefully a few of us can get together and have a good time.

Let me know when you want to do this Bogey--I'll reserve the section next to the transmission fluid.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 01:43:58 PM »
Dale,

Do they serve mutton?  I got hooked on the stuff at the Moonlite in Owensboro on my way back from playing Doak's Quail Crossing with Barney a few years back.

Also, please advise if the gas station is closed.  I can always bring my grill:

Mike
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:54:35 PM by Bogey_Hendren »

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 02:00:02 PM »
Sean,

Your credentials are impressive, but I seem to recall you are a Michigan fan:  What do you get when you cross an Arkansas Razorback with a Michigan Wolverine?  Nothing - there's some things a hog just won't touch.

Regardless, this is an open event and I'll keep you posted.  In all seriousness, I look forward to making your acquaintance - the sooner the better.

Mike

Also, during the initial Hillbilly Tour, Mr. Kavanaugh and I discovered that we won our respective town's club championship while in high school, hence the criterion cited above.  

John Pflum

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 02:22:07 PM »
No date has been set but given the number of unofficial and official events slated for next year,  I want to make you aware that the Hillbilly Tour will be holding a one day event at Princeton (KY) Golf & Country Club in 2007.  Princeton is the birthplace of Perry Maxwell, who returned to design the course there.  

Dinner will be held as a local gas station that serves tremendous barbecue according to KY Hillbilly Dale McCallon.

More details to follow.

Mike

Be sure to post the date when you get it.  I may driive down from Cincinnati to kick a little Kentucky butt!  (not)  :-)  [1]

[1]  Clarification -- I will likely drive down but I will almost assuredly not kick any butt.  :-)  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:28:28 PM by John Pflum Jr »
--
jvdp

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 02:39:59 PM »
Sean:

Your credentials as a Michigan fan go beyond impeccable: they are unimpeachable and dare I say infallible.

As are mine when it comes to Santa Clara University, which sadly does not have football.   ;)

Thus I continue to muddle by with USC, which I have supported since birth.  But yes I did not attend the school, so that makes me peccable, impeachable and fallible - as is the Emperor and oh so many others regarding another certain midwest institution.

But back to Hillbilly Tour membership... I own you there.  Not only did I earn honorary membership already through unsolicited mention on here of the universal uses for duct tape, but I have a club championship to my credit, and I not only know where Princeton, Kentucky is but have married into a fine Kentucky family.

So there.

;D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 02:40:39 PM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 02:49:47 PM »
And you've got as good a hillbilly name as any - Huckabilly. :)

Maybe I'll have to host a Burgh Yinzer Tour.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 02:52:46 PM »
And you've got as good a hillbilly name as any - Huckabilly. :)

Maybe I'll have to host a Burgh Yinzer Tour.

Damn straight.

And yes you should.

;D

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 02:53:42 PM »
Dale,

Do they serve mutton?  I got hooked on the stuff at the Moonlite in Owensboro on my way back from playing Doak's Quail Crossing with Barney a few years back.

Also, please advise if the gas station is closed.  I can always bring my grill:

Mike

a classic Bogey!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 03:19:43 PM »
Bogey,

Sorry no mutton.  My wife is from Owensboro so I've been to Moonlite many, many times.  That being said, no true BBQ fan would dare eat mutton, or that rancid burgoo soup they serve.  But I do love that banana and mayo salad they serve for dessert.  Could anything be more hillbilly?

Princeton is a strictly pork kind of town.

Huck,
I remember you telling me you had family in Russellville.  This would be the perfect time for a family reunion.  R'ville is only about an hour from Princeton.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 03:20:45 PM »
Huck,
I remember you telling me you had family in Russellville.  This would be the perfect time for a family reunion.  R'ville is only about an hour from Princeton.

Sounds great to me!  I shall watch this space, as they say....

;D

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »
A true Princeton CC story that I told Bogey on a recent trip to Nashville.

I went to a wedding for a couple from Princeton.  Classic small town couple.  Star quarterback marries homecoming queen at the city's First Baptist Church.

So as anyone from this area knows, a true wedding reception could never be held in a Baptist fellowship hall, so the wedding party moves on to the country club.  The club is decorated to the nines and a nice selection of finger foods and punch is served.  After about an hour of nibbling, the party moves outside where a pickup truck is parked next to the putting green with a keg sitting on the tail gate.  After a wedding full of so much pomp, it was nice to see this very classy move finish off the night.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »
Sean - yeah, well, don't you forget it.  Some are hillbillies by birth, some by choice, some have hillbilly thrust about them.  Not sure where either of us fit in but I just felt like saying that.

;D

As for colleges and football, well... I'd bet a large amount I've attended way more USC games than you have Michigan games, and have been a fan for quite a few more years.  If that makes my allegiance tenuous, so be it.  But most importantly, as the great Apollo Creed said (more or less), come January 1, you're buying.

TH
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:53:44 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »
Count me in.  I grew up less than 10 miles from this golf course.  It's nothing special architecturally, just a small town country club that in past years has been pretty well maintained.  I've never been a member there (and live about three hours away now), but always enjoyed the hospitality and pace of play.  

The bbq at Heaton's is pretty good.  It was even mentioned recently in a national magazine (I think Gourmet).

One thing worth noting: the town of Princeton is in a dry county.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »
Dry County? I'm out.  ;)

John_Cullum

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »
But back to Hillbilly Tour membership... I own you there.  Not only did I earn honorary membership already through unsolicited mention on here of the universal uses for duct tape, but I have a club championship to my credit, and I not only know where Princeton, Kentucky is but have married into a fine Kentucky family.

So there.

;D

Is that official? As I recall, your duct tape repair of the New in Box golf bag did not go unnoticed by influential members of the membership committee, but I was not aware that a final decision on your application had been made.

I will closely peruse the January Newsletter "New Members" section.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 09:31:10 PM »
Sarge,

Your memory is correct.  This is not the first club that Mr. Huckaby has attempted to crash.  

This membership-wannabe frenzie is unsettling, to say the least.  

As membership chairman, I am declaring a moratorium on new membership until the smoke clears.  You okay with that?

Mike

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »
I think it's pretty cool that people from that part of Kentucky, when asked, "Where'd you go to school," can honestly reply, "Princeton!"  8)

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 11:45:46 PM »
I think a Hillbilly knows if he is a hillbilly. To the untrained eye such comments as where is uncle dad or aunt mom are good tip offs. That was a tough but true shot at the Michigan types given it is Gerald Ford death day. He was a proud Michigan man.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »
Bill,

Afraid you would have to go wayyyyy back to find someone who could claim to go to Princeton.  The entire county/city school is combined into one county ran school.  Probably no more than 100 students per graduating class.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back