News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:What did you do before GCA?
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »

Tom Huckaby wrote:
A better question is what did we do with ourselves before there was an internet?

And that time did exist, let me assure you you young whippersnapper.

A few years ago I was speaking to a class of eigth graders and we got on to a discussion computers.  I mentioned that when I moved to Annapolis in 1981 not many people had computers in their homes.  They said all at once, "How did you get on the internet?"  When I dropped the bomb that there was not internet in 1981, again they all shouted at once, "There has always been the internet."

Well, before I discovered the ubiquitous internet and GCA I had more time to play golf and more money to lose on the golf course.  GCA has cost me a ton of money just in books purchased.  It seems that every book mentioned on this site ends up in my hands.
So if you are thinking of a Christmas present for me....
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2006, 12:30:29 PM »
Ryan,

Prior to GCA my life was not a pretty sight. I talked with myself. I played with myself. I drank, but in all honesty, only to excess. (Did you know it's not considered drinking alone if the television is on?). I wandered aimlessly through the world as if life was a fog.

Ever since GCA came into my life, my world has been wonderful. I know longer feel guilty about talking to or playing with myself. I drink even when the tv is not on. GCA brings me the most joy when I post completely naked, like now, for instance.

Anthony

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:36:28 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Eddie Adams

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2006, 12:36:01 PM »
Pioppi,

Get a life.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 12:37:54 PM »
Eddie,

I have no life since you went away.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. Change that, Merry Christmas to your family. I could care less about you.

Anthony

Eddie Adams

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2006, 12:41:09 PM »
Merry Christmas to you,
I may try to get across the pond for the GCSAA show will you be there or are you busy signing that book you kept me away from.

Eddie

John Foley

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »
Craig,

WOW - Holy blast from the past. Boy does that bring back memories. Are all the details lost in cyber space?

I do remember when things got slow over at Tradionalgolf and someone made the post Where Has Everyone gone?

Tommy jumped in and said:

"We're all over at GlofClubAtlas!!" and things we're never the same.
Integrity in the moment of choice

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 01:01:50 PM »
Eddie,

Tell everyone what you did before, during and after GCA: You were a poa farmer. Nobody in the world can introduce poa into fescue greens like you.

Anthony

ChipRoyce

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 01:59:01 PM »
iGOLF was where I got my online golf jones.

Of course, it was also my day job too, but was lots of fun to learn about GCA from Brad Klein, Gary Galyean and the rest of the editorial crew.

rjsimper

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 02:00:55 PM »
I read Golf Digest's "Places to Play" religiously (which is how I first discovered places like Pinon Hills and Troon North Monument (pre-houses) and watched the Masters every April.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 02:17:34 PM »

RJ,
      As John pointed out it was May 1999 for the Pinehurst visit. It was only a few weeks before the US Open and I remember the greens and collars on #2 were in very poor shape.  It was billed as a Traditional Golf gathering and I think there were 13 of us.  Good times.. Mid-Pines, Pine Needles and Tobacco Road.

JohnV

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 02:32:09 PM »
Craig, how could you forget Talamore? ;)

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 02:33:26 PM »

I keep trying!!!  

rjsimper

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 02:34:45 PM »
Dolly the Llama won't permit you to forget...

JohnV

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 02:41:04 PM »
That was an interesting trip for me.

In order I was played:

Golf Club of Georgia (both courses)
Berry Hills in Charleston, WV with Andrew Bernstein
The Pete Dye Club
The 4 courses mentioned in Pinehurst
Valdosta Country Club (didn't play, but did officiate)
Cuscowilla

and then on the way home:
Chenal
Oklahoma City Golf & Country Club

Definitely a varied mix of courses and experiences.

Eddie Adams

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 03:13:02 PM »
Anthony,

Ok you got me I confess, in my previous life I did try my hand at Poa farming and with some success, during my time as a GCA'er, I have spent some time working throughout Europe and Asia and in the future, I may write a book about my life in the golf business, I was going to ask you if you could help me with this best seller, but due to your fee, and a few other reasons, my agent has told me to look elsewhere.
I still think you have a great book in you and who knows, when the time comes Supers may need paint by numbers editions of Turf books, until then keep pushing the idea.

Regards

Eddie

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2006, 03:31:30 PM »
Eddie,

Thanks for your kind words. Just because of various arrests - no convictions, mind you - your agent and Homeland Security has it in for me. If your agent ever comes to his senses, I'd be glad to chronicle your story.

I like the idea of the paint-by-numbers book. Maybe we can finally get people in the U.S. to understand the difference between links golf courses and seaside golf courses.

Your copy of "To the Nines" was smuggled out of the country today by a an-all girl jazz quartet on their way to play a USO show in Turkey. Meet them at the pre-arranged time at the New Inn about 10 p.m. The password is "Prawn-flavored chips."

Tony

ed_getka

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2006, 01:22:33 AM »
I used to write letters to Tom Doak asking him questions. I didn't know anybody else who talked about this stuff.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2006, 01:50:01 AM »
Before discovering this website I thought I was the only dork (this side of Tom Doak) infatuated with old dead architects and black and white pictures.

Mostly, that was because I never met anyone who was as empassioned about it as I.  

Thing is, I still don't meet many people like that.  Just you guys.  We are a rare breed around here.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006, 12:59:05 PM »
John VB - thanks for considering me a "good name" back on those old boards.  That brings back memories.  I wish I had more to say over the past few years on this board.  I guess I am in that phase of my life with young kids and working long hours, that golf has gone beyond the back seat at this point.  But, I still love my architecture and I do read this site a couple times a week. I'd like to play more, but that will happen with two kids about that age to try and play.

I must admit, I get a little intimidated and often feel out of touch with the current world of GCA.  Thanks to Ran for not shutting off my userid!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back